Captain Ewok

The other side of deportation: An American struggles to prepare for life without husband

112 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
Screen-Shot-2014-05-27-at-3.47.59-PM-150

LAWRENCE, KAN. — Each ordinary moment now seemed worthy of preservation, so Madina Salaty, 45, turned on her cellphone camera and hit record. “Four days left,” she said, her voice and the video both shaky as her husband leashed the dog and headed toward their front door. He walked past the framed picture of their wedding in 2011, past the University of Kansas flag on their porch, past the perennials they had planted together in the garden. He led the dog onto the wide sidewalks and manicured lawns of downtown Lawrence, where the lampposts were painted red, white and blue.

“We are going on a walk,” Salaty said, narrating the video, focusing the camera on her husband, Zunu Zunaid, 37. He turned back to her and smiled.

“Hi, baby,” he said.

“Hi, baby,” she said.

It is the latter of those separations that has increasingly become the focus of attempts to overhaul the country’s immigration policies, since more than 100,000 American citizens lose a spouse or parent to deportation each year. President Obama has asked the Department of Homeland Security to review the “humanity” of its deportation procedures. At a time when nearly one-fourth of undocumented immigrants have children or spouses who are citizens, the government now faces a choice between two priorities: Deport undocumented immigrants who have broken the law? Or protect the citizens those immigrants so often provide for?

...continued at Washington Post.com

From the VJ Team, we wish them the best in finding a solution. Hang in there!

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I cried. I couldn't imagine if that was me. I remember before I AOSed, I had these kind of dreams and thank god they had never became a reality. Good luck to them. It's not fair.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh good grief...wow...this story was heart-wrenching. Think I'm going to go cry now, because this story made me miss the man who is right now napping in my living room, as if I was the one on that plane going back home without my other half... :(

USCIS (192 days, August 24 2011 to March 2 2012. No RFE's).
NVC (30 days, March 12 to April 11. Case expedited due to NVC errors).

Montreal US Consulate, awaiting interview date (14 days, April 12 to April 26).

05/09/2012 - medical in Toronto - passed!
05/22/2012 - interview - passed!
05/25/2012 - visa in hand!!! biggrin.png
06/09/2012 - POE @ YWG (Winnipeg Int'l Airport)

Removal of Conditions submitted March 24, 2014, received March 26, 2014

"RFE" for page 3 of application received, date March 27, 2014. Package re-submitted with all papers re-attached.

04/07/2014 - NOA1 Date

05/07/2014 - Biometrics in Charlotte, NC

11/05/2014 - APPROVED! Citizenship in 5 months!

11/10/2014 - NOA2 in hand.

11/20/2014 - 10 yr GC in hand! :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I read this report a few days back.

Came to the conclusion that Journalism is a career entered into by those who failed to get a job at McDonalds.

Obviously lots left out, I also assumed a criminal history.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Funny how the nightmare everyone is so glad to avoid is the daily reality for hundreds of thousands of American citizens like me, hundreds here on our very own VJ. If he didn't want to be deported, he shouldn't have overstayed the visa. He's getting what he deserves. Anyone who tells CR-1 and IR-1 people to quite whining has to agree with me on this or else they're a total hypocrite. And as usual, no story on the hundreds of thousands waiting without their spouses like me.

Oy vey....

The obvious solution would have been for her to go on the plane with him.

But it seems their relationship is not that important.

You can assume a lot when you don't know the full story. Speculation can be so titillating...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

You can assume a lot when you don't know the full story. Speculation can be so titillating...

Do you know the full story?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

So why did they not file and adjust in country?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.