Reallytorn

So afraid of making the wrong choice - I want to go home.

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I hate to post such a negative thing in such a wonderful community, but I need help, and do not have anyone to turn to.

I immigrated to the US 2 years ago, with our 1 year old daughter (she's 3 now).

There are many times I wish I'd never made the choice to move here with her. I was always afraid this day might come and I'd risk losing everything. At the time of course, it seemed like the proper thing to do. Have us both raise our daughter. Besides that, I had hope our marriage would get better if we were living together. I associated many, if not most of our marital problems on the stress of a long distance relationship.

I'm not here to put my husband down, nor do I blame the collapse of our relationship on him, however I'm here to let it out so here goes. I can't take his angry outbursts anymore. I don't know how to cope and what I'm doing wrong. I'm constantly living in fear and have always felt very inferior to him. I don't like being so afraid all the time. This extends to all aspects of our marriage. He is in control of everything. He has never laid a hand on me but his yelling is out of control. This can't be healthy for our daughter either - she woke up crying tonight from it. I hate that I bring out such rage in him. I've never made another human being so angry. I feel like if I just got out of the way maybe he and our daughter could be happy. I am a failure of a wife. I also never got over his plan to fly to a different state to meet another woman. I often blame myself and think if I were this other woman he would be happy, and not hate me so much. This is not healthy though! This is no way to live my life and I want out so desperately.

The thing stopping me from going home? Our 3 year old daughter.

When we have talked of divorce before he has made it very clear that he gets our child and everything else. No questions asked. Given my position, I seriously doubt I could put up much a fight in court anyways. He is an engineer, making good money. I have no education and upon going home would be simply working a minimum wage job, starting completely from scratch as I really didn't have much when we met either. I'd lost everything from a previous divorce - I'm a real winner eh? :/

I do not want a thing from this man. I just want to be free. I'm afraid of the consequences though. I can't imagine life without my daughter. Thinking about it sends me spiraling into misery you can't imagine. I've been in this position before and it is the most traumatic and horrible thing a person can go through.

So - Why not just stay in America you ask? Well there are many reasons for that. Some are more obvious like just being home sick and not feeling overly happy here but the main reason is that I have 2 daughters at home who I lost from a previous divorce. While I do get to see them every 6 weeks or so, I've never forgiven myself for how everything has played out. Don't get me wrong - I can't say I regret my exes and my choice. He is a terrific dad and I know they are living happy and healthy. Still though, they are at an age where I feel it would be good if I were there. I don't want to miss everything. Ugh. What a damn mess I've made of my life.

See my dilemma here? I feel like a horrible mother. I despise myself for thinking of losing yet another child. What's wrong with me?!?! What's worse though? Losing her or raising her in as toxic environment? :(

I know my options: 1) stay married until she moves out and then go home. 2) proceed with divorce now, and lose her.

I don't know why I'm even here and what exactly I'm asking? I just feel lonely and afraid. I don't know what to do.

If you have any advice, please help me.

If you are tempted to leave a post telling me what a horrible mother I am, please refrain. I already feel it inside and am just here for help.

Thank you for reading.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm so sorry, I am heartbroken for you. Just because your husband earns a lot of money and has a better education than you does not mean he will get custody of your child. They will be more concerned about the child's well being, than how much money you earn. You will get child support, which can be substantial if he has a high salary. With his temper it is clear that you would be the better choice for a parent. Don't give up and move home without your child, he is bullying you into believing he will automatically get custody, which couldn't be further from the truth. Get a lawyer, if you cannot afford one go to the court and they will have a list of attorneys who,will work pro bono. I have to run off to work, if you need to,talk I will be back later. I went through a divorce with a man like this and it isn't hopeless, I have full physical custody of my children. feel free to contact me if you need advice or someone to talk to.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I am sorry that you are going through this.

Some people prey on people with low self esteem, and this is what it sounds like, from reading your post. This person you are married to cannot be called a man, he is bullying you, and none of it is your fault. It is common for abusers to make you think it's your fault. "Now look what you made me do." And also not uncommon for women to internalize that and believe it. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH!!

Please see a professional to help you clear your head from this toxic environment.

I didn't want to read an run, so I will just suggest one thing. Start to document his outbursts. Log the time, date and the detail of the outburst i.e. what triggered it, what he said, how long it lasted. This may be useful in the future when you have to say to someone 'He had terrible outbursts' and he says 'what outbursts?'.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello smile.png and hugs to you. I am sorry of your situation. I hope it will improve soon. I & B gave you a very good advices to consider. Please don't feel down of yourself, everybody commit mistakes.

And, yes sometimes we could experience similar or pattern of mistakes in life. We just need to learn our lessons from our past mistakes, thus we become stronger and better persons.

Your husband needs to realize the toxic effects of his behavior to you and your daughter. He needs anger management. Mutual respect is very important. I'm not sure what to advice you legally, all I know since you live in Canada, then you can come back to the US without the need for visa, just in case you come home and give up your immigration benefits. So you will have the opportunity to visit your child.

I just pray there is still hope for change. Without your daughter, I would think it is easier for you to leave, but I understand you don't wanna lose another child this time. It is heartbreaking for sure.

For now, I suggest you to pray hard to God, to give you courage and determination to overcome the trials you are facing now, and to attain peace in your mind and heart.

Try to be still or calm, and know that God is still in control. Don't exhaust too much of your energy on thinking beyond your control, this will let you down physically and mentally. The best way is to pray, talk to God all your heartaches and desires. And please seek professional advice, consult a lawyer on how to fight for your child's custody in the event of divorce. Take care of yourself and your daughter. Don't try to get into a series of argument with your husband as you know he cannot control his anger. I am not saying you have to tolerate his behavior......that is why it is best if he will undergo counseling.

I wish your situation will change soon. There is always HOPE. God bless you and your family.- InHistime

Edited by InHisTime

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Your daughter will someday be an woman and although we only have one side to the story your husband does not sound like a good role model to any woman.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I want to thank everyone for the kindhearted support. I am reminded of why I loved this community so much when we needed the help immigrating! Not at all what I would have anticipated! I am glad I posted this and will certainly seek counseling.

Bless you all Vj.

I agree, seek counselling either together or by yourself if he won't go. That would be my first step, as long as he never gets physical. IF that changes, then get out...both of you.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I also grew up in a family like this, much like Ketsuban mentioned. My father had and still has violent outbursts. He never hit my mom, though...

They waited until my siblings and I were in teens before they separated and divorced.

I think they should have gotten divorced sooner.

I'm going to say something important: STOP BLAMING YOURSELF. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT THAT HE HAS THESE OUTBURSTS. YOU ARE NOT A HORRIBLE PERSON NOR A HORRIBLE MOTHER. PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT.

Please see a therapist to help begin to heal on the inside. Trust in the universe/God/whatever you believe in to take if from there. He is abusing you emotionally. My father did this to us when we were growing up. My ex husband did this to me too - an exact copy of my father. This isn't your fault and you do not deserve this.

Of course if he should ever lay a finger on you or your daughter, leave the marriage!

NOA1 received: July 30, 2013

Transferred: Jan 22, 2014 (time from NOA1 to Transfer: 5 months 3 weeks 2 days)

Touched: Jan 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Alien reg. # changed: Jan 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Filed for expedite: Feb 5, 2014

s-event.png

We do only have one side of the story but that's all we have to comment on so my advice would be.

Do not leave your daughter all alone with this man - even though he is her father. What will happen if you go? It's unlikely that he will suddenly change his personality and never have any outbursts like this again.

So he will either still have these outbursts and your daughter will be the only one he can focus on.

Or he will meet a new woman and he will still create this toxic environment and your daughter will still be exposed to it but she will have step-mother in the equation who may or may not protect her.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Record his outbursts. Get audio recording software on your phone (it's easy to do - just search on recording app on your phone's store). Then just turn it on and lay it on the table next to you next time you think he's going to have an outbursts. These can be very helpful in court.

Also, a few have mentioned it, but don't forget about the spiritual aspects. Pray to God. Read the Bible - it has tons of great wisdom for people to live by. And when you live by its principles it's amazing how many times our shattered lives begin to get better and better. Pray to Christ and ask for forgiveness for your own sins and ask him to be the master of your life and then follow him.

event.png

event.png

event.png

I Am The Petitioner

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? WE WISH!

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

I-129F Sent : 12/07/2013

I-129F NOA1 : 12/16/2013

Alien Registration Number Changed: 12/24/2013

Wait... wait... wait... wait...

Asked Congressman to send service request to USCIS: 7/1/2014

USCIS received Congressman's inquiry: 7/3/2014

Notification via USCIS Website of NOA2 - Approved: 7/5/2014

NOA2: 6/25/2014 - We found out later it had been approved (but not posted) before congressional inquiry received.

Shipped to Embassy: 7/17/2014

Received by Embassy: 7/21/2014 - Status: READY

Packet 3.5: 7/24/2014

Packet 3.5 Sent: 8/7/2014 (We had delays because of civil unrest in Pakistan)

Embassy Receive: 8/21/2014 (Again delays due to civil unrest)

Receive Appointment Letter/Interview Date: 8/27/2014 (interview date in just 9 days)!

Medical Exam: 8/29/2014 (Yikes! The whole thing has now been postponed for 2 months for TB testing)

Interview Date: Originally 9/5/2014 - Now Postponed for at least two months

TB Test Results: 10/15/2014 - came back 18 days early! And she's negative!

Interview Rescheduled 10/17/2014: (embassy moving at lightning speed)!

New Interview Date: 10/29/2014 APPROVED!!!

CEAC Updates to AP: 11/13/2014

CEAC Updates to ISSUED!! 11/14/2014

Visa In-Hand: 11/24/2014

Arrival in USA: 11/27/2014 -- 11 MONTHS, 1 WEEK, 4 DAYS AFTER NOA1

MARRIED: 11/30/2014 !!!

[/center]

THE END!

Filed: Country: Latvia
Timeline

In some states this may be considered domestic violence - even though he hasn't physically abused you. Look up domestic violence resources in your area, and some may be able to get some help dealing with your situation from people better suited to your situation.

04/14/12 - First date in the U.S.

02/26/13 - Married

06/3/13 - Petition Filed (had been unsuccessfully trying to move to Europe)

06/6/13 - NOA1 (National Benefits Center)

12/19/13 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

03/3/14 - I130 Approved

03/18/14 - NVC Received file from USCIS

04/28/14 - Received/Paid AOS Bill

05/01/14 - Received/Paid IV Bill

05/14/14 - Sent AOS Package

05/30/14 - Sent IV Package

06/05/14 - Submitted DS-260

06/19/14 - Received checklist for AOS, resubmitted required corrections

08/09/14 - Case completed at NVC

08/14/14 - Received Interview Date

09/08/14 - Interview date - Approved!

09/11/14 - Raced into town, threw car into a parking spot, and ran down city streets to get to the courier company 2 minutes before the close to get passport back

10/10/14 - POE Entry

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.