Stephen&Lica

Have not met in-person, does this situation qualify for an exception?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

In a nut shell I do not believe your meeting requirement will be waved. You received excellent advice here and detailed

explanations of why it would not succeed so no need for me to repeat them.

I totally agree with the general consensus here.

The age difference is a red flag to them in a high fraud country.

You not being able to pay the amount in total that you are making payments on may

make them scratch their head asking how you will be able to support an immigrant sufficiently once he is here if you can't

get it paid to meet him and I don't see that as a viable reason to submit with your waiver request but adding to the problem

instead and it may add another red flag.

I believe you will waste a very long time and be denied. I would withdraw the petition and make a visit happen and file then.

This journey can take a very long time for some of us. I have met my fiance 4 years ago, he did not receive a visa even though

I made 3 trips with plenty of evidence and they were not convinced that we are bona fide couple. I am re filing.

I may take your hope but I rather let you know the hard facts so you can be well prepared of the outcome.

Best wishes, I know sometimes life is just plain difficult.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also OP you have to look at the totality of your whole case. You are asking immigration to grant your man a Visa to come to the US to MEET you. yet you have evidence that you have submitted to them you really can't go anywhere. that you are basically tethered to your job and a nursing facility as primary person to someone who depends solely on you.

Immigration has to be thinking But they haven't meet and you have 90 days to meet and marry. can you see what a tight squeeze all this is. Just trying to paint a picture of even if you get past USCIS the likelihood getting through Ghana Embassy (even people who have lived together get denied there). It is no easy thing that embassy.

Can I ask how long has this relationship be going on? When did you meet? Obviously online and that can be another red flag? was it a specific site? All this has much to play into an approval or denial.and your.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Ghanaian_citizens for a list of countries your fiancé can visit without a visa - you could fly to the Caribbean ones over a weekend, that shouldn't be too inconvenient (or any other day where you're off work). You can try to meet soon-ish and enjoy each other and gather proof of having met (which will be useful in the small chance your petition is approved, and certainly if you need to refile).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This kind of situation (asking for a exception from the 2-year meeting) seems to come up every few months and while every situation is unique most people don't even come close to qualifying for the exception.

1.Result in extreme hardship to you, or

Violate strict and long-established customs of the beneficiary's foreign culture or social practice.
In addition to establishing that the required meeting would be a violation of custom or practice,
you must also veriff that all other aspects of the traditional arrangements have been or will be met
in accordance with the custom or practice. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to:

Statements from the religious authorities attesting to the practices, beliefs, and customs
for the engagement and marriage.
Statements from tribal leaders that establish that the meeting of the petitioner and the
beneficiary is a violation of the tribe's customs.

Note: Extreme hardship for YOU, not the person you are taking care of, etc, etc. Just because you are taking care of someone and have many notarized docs, etc doesn't get around the point that this is in no way a 'hardship' for you, let alone a 'extreme' one. I'm only looking at the requirements you are seeking to comply with and then you have all the other red flags that will do nothing but cause a denial of the actual K1 petition.

You really should rethink your position on this and just find a way to meet in-person in the near future and then start fresh. You are looking at a VERY difficult petition for K1 coming out of Ghana as it is. Couples get denied there all the time with pretty solid petitions and no obvious issues. Not your fault so much fraud and problems have come out of that country but its a fact and you can't get around that. I will also add, 'one' visit is still pretty weak. I would recommend multiple visits over a extended amount of time for a more solid petition. I do wish you good luck!!

California Service Center

US Consulate in Guangzhou, China

I-129F sent on 09-09-2015

I-129F NOA1 received on 10-01-2015

I-129F RFE received on 11-09-2015

RFE replied to on 11-23-2015

I-129F NOA2 received on 12-10-2015

NVC received on 12-22-2015

Date case #, IIN, and BIN assigned on 12-24-2015

Left the NVC on 12-30-2015

US Consulate in China received on 01-06-2016

Packet 3 received on 01-13-2016

Packet 3 sent on 01-20-2016

Packet 4 received on 02-19-2016

Interview date is scheduled for 03-24-2016 (7:45am China time!)

K1 Visa approved!!!!!!!!!

Waiting for actual visa right now!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your input, your respectfulness and your maturity. I had no idea this would be such a mess :-( Since when, as an American does someone else get to make life decisions for me? It's sad to learn. If I believe his heart and intentions to be genuine, who is someone else to have the right to question it? It simply seems very wrong :-( I'm not referring to you guys or even looking for a response for my short rant. Just expressing. It makes no sense that they won't even allow him to come here with the understanding that if we decided (for some strange reason) not to marry then he'd simply go back. It won't do me any good to try to express the things and reasons I believe him to be genuine to you guys so I won't waste your time (I'm not saying you doubt us). I really appreciate your help and advice. I'll keep you posted. Not feeling like such an American anymore....Lica

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I think our situation might be quite unique. We met in an online dating site in December 2012. We haven't met in person. I mailed out our package on Wednesday October 16, 2013. Included is a letter signed and notarized by my employer (of almost 14 years) stating that I can't get time off of work because my boss was in the hospital for 2 months and is already scheduled to go back in and have more surgery. It also includes a signed and notarized letter from a nursing home where my long time friend resides. I'm her legal guardian and need to be here for her. It describes that I need to be here to make decisions and support her emotionally etc. It also includes a letter from my pastor about his knowledge of my relationship with Stephen, our plan for him to council us for marriage etc. I'm just wondering what the chances are that will get approved for the exception of not having met in person??? Any thoughts?

99.99% guarantee to get denied.

:-( Since when, as an American does someone else get to make life decisions for me? It's sad to learn. If I believe his heart and intentions to be genuine, who is someone else to have the right to question it? It simply seems very wrong :-

Immigration to the US is a privledge, not a right.

Go meet in person, doesn't have to be in his country, and withdraw that petition and file another. Very simple. If you follow the process, then you can get together.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Immigration and love....where the two worlds of 'right to pursue happiness' and 'immigration is a privilege and not a right'

collide.

You just have to meet the requirements they set to be together.

As far as him going back if it does not work out, many stay here out of status in search for a better life.

Unfortunately the bad apples that use Americans for a green card make it a hell of a ride for the rest of us who are genuine.

Buckle up and you will find a way if it is meant to be.

This journey is only for the tenacious. It requires a lot of patience and enough financial resources to reach the goal.

It has been a 4 year journey for us and we still have not reached the end so you see I certainly understand your disappointment.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Passport and Debt

The only Debt I am aware of that has an impact is Child Support, anyway easiest solution as it is not very much would be to pay it off.

Terminal Friend

Well in Immigration timelines this will resolve itself.

Job

You will need to be making quite a few trips so I would give your Employer advance notice now that he or she needs to get there act together. Any business that is totally reliant on one employee has disaster written all over it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

As others have said, immigration is a privilege, not a right.

And looking at it from their POV, there are *many* visas that do get issues each year and end up fradulent. But now that the beneficiary is here (and goes under the radar of US immigration by moving elsewhere), they will work under the table, commit crimes, or claim false domestic abuse (foreign women for the most part). There are countless stories out there, and many of them documented here on VJ.

I think that the US needs to treat the foreign beneficiary with basic human dignity (and they often treat people like dirt at interviews), but I do agree that those with the "red flags" should be more heavily scrutinized because their risk of things going wrong is astronomical compared to those coming from wealthier nations.

Your case has red flags coming up the wazoo. I'm in no way saying that your relationship is fradulent, but I do think that it's reasonable that you show evidence that it's not. And from the limited amount of information that you've given us, I don't see a single positive factor to your case aside from the fact that you or he haven't committed any inadmissible acts. If I can't see it, there's no way that USCIS or the American embassy in Ghana will.

First things first, you MUST meet your fiance, even if it's just in a 3rd country. You can wait for the K1 petition to come back first, if you'd like just to be sure, but there's absolutely no go if you don't do this. Unfortunately, you'll have wasted your money spent on this petition because it won't count for the next one.

My suggestion is to read through the Sub-Saharan forum here on VJ, go through the threads meticulously over the next few weeks to get a better sense of the uphill battle and make an action plan.

I realize that this is probably devastating to read everyone's replies and I'm sorry. I only know that it's all worth it if it's the right person. I was lucky enough to have no red flags in my husband's visa case and the fact that he came from a wealthy nation. But even if he was from a high-fraud country and it had taken up to now to get a visa (we applied originally in 2009), it would have been worth it because we love each other.

Best of luck. Keep us updated if you can as your situation may help someone else in the future if they look through the archives...

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

you everyone for your input, your respectfulness and your maturity. I had no idea this would be such a mess :-( Since when, as an American does someone else get to make life decisions for me? It's sad to learn. If I believe his heart and intentions to be genuine, who is someone else to have the right to question it? It simply seems very wrong :-( I'm not referring to you guys or even looking for a response for my short rant. Just expressing. It makes no sense that they won't even allow him to come here with the understanding that if we decided (for some strange reason) not to marry then he'd simply go back. It won't do me any good to try to express the things and reasons I believe him to be genuine to you guys so I won't waste your time (I'm not saying you doubt us). I really appreciate your help and advice. I'll keep you posted. Not feeling like such an American anymore....Lica

This is exactly what I said, who decides for me who I can marry. Please woman to woman: Do whatever you can to go to Ghana. Make sure this man is legit. This is a high fraud country. I went to Ghana two times before deciding to marry my husband. The new scam out of Ghana is to get married to an American, come to the US and then join the military and get citizenship from the military. I know another woman's whose husband came right after mine. She is living in hell because she did not do her due diligence. Less than a year with him in the US she was working on a divorce she has stuck it out but she has no intentions of filing for his 10 year and they are heading for divorce. Prior to this man came, she came on visa journey questioning his intent, and did not follow her mind. If she could talk to you she would tell you the same. Go to Ghana, pay attention and make sure you know the real situation. Even if you do not understand the language, you can see and know who and what your man is really about. My situation was different, and my husband is great. While in Ghana I spent time at the cafe's where they do there "business". I have talked to the guys and many speak to different women to see who can get them in the US. Just saying, watch this video, stay safe. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=+ghana+fraud+video&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=170F7B75C80057268578170F7B75C80057268578

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Filed: Other Timeline

Well someone suggested meeting in Canada,

the Canadians are NOT inclined to give a visa

to a person recently turnrd down for a US visa,

so see if a person from Ghana needs a visa to

Mexico then meet him there ...let him buy his own

ticket.

They will return the petition to U and not just the

issue of age arises, but finances too , it will be costly,

U never asked for opinions about fraud or real

but this smacks of a fraudulent on-line encounter

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your input, your respectfulness and your maturity. I had no idea this would be such a mess :-( Since when, as an American does someone else get to make life decisions for me? It's sad to learn. If I believe his heart and intentions to be genuine, who is someone else to have the right to question it? It simply seems very wrong :-( I'm not referring to you guys or even looking for a response for my short rant. Just expressing. It makes no sense that they won't even allow him to come here with the understanding that if we decided (for some strange reason) not to marry then he'd simply go back. It won't do me any good to try to express the things and reasons I believe him to be genuine to you guys so I won't waste your time (I'm not saying you doubt us). I really appreciate your help and advice. I'll keep you posted. Not feeling like such an American anymore....Lica

You are naive. How do you think you can make him go back if he doesnt want to go home?

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Would you marry some man you've never met, and only wrote letters to, in the US?

Don't let the exotic aspect of international love fool you.

These visas are hard to get for a reason.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.