Cjadam1505

I thought this was our right?

50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

So maybe I am just confused and don't understand my rights as an American... But I thought this was a matter of the US citizen showing that they make enough money to support the person.. Are mentally stable... Not marrying for reasons other than love and that the person we are marrying is not a Terrorist or has ill intentions for this country... I am seeing people are getting denied for no reason and other reasons that make no logical sense like the USC does not have looks to match the fiance...

Is this not our right to marry someone? Sorry the Denial stories are getting me nervous...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

apply for a visa is a priviledge, not a right. Many people get this twisted, and I understand the indignation, but ...

no, it's not a right... it's a priviledge, to chase after a visa for yer loved one.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

It's not a right, but that being said...

People often come on here and say crazy stories that are not rooted in facts. They are confused, or lying, or hiding the truth because it is embarrassing. Denials are not for capricious reasons and are not decided by IOs who are having a "bad day." There are rules and procedures to follow. So if possible, don't get worried over reports of outlandish stories. Something is amiss, in those.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It seems that ugly people are getting denied now...rolleyes.gif

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Is this not our right to marry someone?

No it is not. You need to check with the state where you want to get married in order to determine if they allow you to marry under their laws.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Marrying whomever you please is your right, yes. However, residency in the United States is a privilege granted only to citizens and those that the United States deems able to become residents. We should be thankful that the United States even allows us the ability to petition to bring our fiancé(e)s here, and respect the processes (however convoluted) that are put in place to assure that neither the United States, nor its citizens, are being taken advantage of.

It seems that ugly people are getting denied now...rolleyes.gif

Uh oh... I'd better watch out. dancin5hr.gif

Alex(US) & Stela(Brazil)

I-129F Packet Sent - 06/19/2013

I-129F Packet Delivered to Dallas Box - 06/21/2013

NOA1 Electronic Notice, Packet to VSC - 06/25/2013

USCIS Check Cashed - 06/26/2013

Received Hard Copy NOA1 - 6/28/2013

Notification of Case Transfer to TSC - 08/09/2013

Received Hard Copy of Case Transfer to TSC - 08/14/2013

Electronic Notification of NOA2 - 9/17/2013 - 85 days!

Electronic Notification of Shipment to NVC - 9/18/2013

Hard Copy NOA-2 (I-797) - 9/21/2013

NVC Received - 9/25/2013

NVC Shipped - 10/1/2013

Received at Embassy in Rio de Janeiro - 10/8/2013

Beneficiary Received Instructions & Interview Date - 10/15/2013

Going to visit for the interview!!! - 12/7/2013

Interview at Rio de Janeiro!!! - 12/10/2013

Coming back to the U.S. with my baby to get married!!! - 12/30/2013

Time to K-1 Petition Approval - 85 days

Time from Petition to Interview - 168 days

Marrying whomever you please is your right, yes. However, residency in the United States is a privilege granted only to citizens and those that the United States deems able to become residents. We should be thankful that the United States even allows us the ability to petition to bring our fiancé(e)s here, and respect the processes (however convoluted) that are put in place to assure that neither the United States, nor its citizens, are being taken advantage of.

I don't believe marriage is a right, in the US it is governed by the states, and I don't believe residency for a US citizen is a privilege, I believe it is a right.

I-129F Sent : 2012-11-02
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-12-06
I-129F RFE(s) : 2013-5-30
RFE Reply(s) : 2013-6-10
I-129F NOA2 : 2013-6-17
NVC Received : 2013-06-28
NVC Left : 2013-07-02
Consulate Received : 2013-07-08
Packet 3 Received : 2013-07-10
Packet 3 Sent : 2013-07-25
Packet 4 Received : 2013-08-24
Interview Date : 2013-09-13
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2013-09-23
US Entry : 2013-10-25

Marriage : 2013-11-16

Filed AOS
CIS Office : Santa Ana CA
Date Filed : 2013-12-05
NOA Date : 2013-12-12

Biometrics: 2013-12-26

Interview Date: 2014-04-07

EAD Approval: 2014-02-15

EAD Received: 2014-02-26

AP Approved: 2014-02-18

AP Received: 2014-02-26

I-751 Sent: 2016-01-09

I-751 NOA1: 2016-01-11

I-751 Biometrics: 2016-02-29

Filed: Timeline

So maybe I am just confused and don't understand my rights as an American... But I thought this was a matter of the US citizen showing that they make enough money to support the person.. Are mentally stable... Not marrying for reasons other than love and that the person we are marrying is not a Terrorist or has ill intentions for this country... I am seeing people are getting denied for no reason and other reasons that make no logical sense like the USC does not have looks to match the fiance...

Is this not our right to marry someone? Sorry the Denial stories are getting me nervous...

Don't let the denials get you nervous. Many times, denials are because people did not present the right documents even after an RFE, did not show up for interviews for whatever reason, did not submit sufficient evidence of a bona fide marriage, and basically didn't have their "ducks in a row" so to speak.

Just follow the guides here and hope for the best. Prepare for the "worst" (RFEs) by being careful in your application and double, triple checking everything.

You are correct! it is your right to marry whomever you wish within the laws governing the state you live in......

It is however, not a right to bring them here to live......

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Why are some people upset over a process that protects them from their own stupidity. When I came to the U.S. the Immigration laws where a lot more stringent. I had to have a sponsor, a place to live , a job, I could not own Firearms, I could not work for a company that had government contracts, I could not speak a foreign Lang witch on a 2 way radio, I could not go on any protests. But I went to Vietnam to fight for this country, I was not a citizen off. I am proud to be American.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You can marry whomever you want. It is not your right to bring them here if they happen to be from a foreign country, it's a privilege

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Long story short, no, it's not a right. Movies like "Green Card" make it seem like it is.

That being said, most people have straightforward cases that won't be denied. Just do your homework, make sure everything's in order, you'll be fine.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Remember each case stands on its own merits, be through, correct and honest.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.