zttrszPwCmp

BINATIONAL SAME SEX COUPLES !! Show up!

1,174 posts in this topic

We are only sixteen months into our first resident card. We will soon start the process for removal of conditions. Although the application doesn't seem that complicated, we have decided to retain our same attorneys who helped us get through the first process.  Congratulations to those of you now applying for citizenship. All of us are fortunate for the 2013 court decision that has allowed us these new benefits. 

Happy New Year 2017!

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
On 11/3/2016 at 3:43 PM, zuluweta said:

I'm curious to know if any same-sex immigrant got US citizenship in time to vote on Nov 8?

Interesting question! Did you ever find anything?

Looks like the first GC was approved immediately after DOMA fell at the end of June 2013 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/29/gay-couple-green-card_n_3522323.html); under that scenario, if applying for citizenship at the beginning of the 90-day window in 2016 in a district that processes pretty quickly... a couple people could possibly have squeaked through?

• 5 months later...

We are still working on ROC but we plan to apply for citizenship on our resident card anniversary regardless on the lateness of a renewed resident card.  It seems like most of the members of this group have been successful and are living happy lives.  Hope to see new members joining soon.  Lots of good stories here.

We are doing the same and will file the N-400 in November. Best of luck to all.

I am the US Citizen

Journey to Citizenship for my spouse

Day 1    11-20-2017  Filed N-400 Online

Day 1    11-20-2017  NOA1 for N-400

Day 4    11-24-2017  NOA1 hardcopy arrived in the mail

Day 25  12-15-2017  Biometrics Appointment at Ft Smith, AR ASC

Day 104 03-02-2018 Notified Interview Letter Sent.

Day 151 04-18-2018 Interview at Fort Smith, AR 

Day 174 05-11-2018 Oath Ceremony at Fort Smith USCIS.

Day 1,370 - JOURNEY from K1 Visa to Oath of Citizenship is now COMPLETE!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hey all, life is good and me and my husband are flying everywhere Delta flies for free ever since I started working for them.

hope all is well! Xoxo

M.

AOS - 130 days

ROC - 15m

N400 - 10/18/2019

bio - 11/4/19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 7/7/2017 at 7:40 PM, Tcarrol said:

Hello SM & EF.  Did you get your Citizenship yet?

Not yet. Still waiting to get scheduled for the interview.  Looks like South Florida is a bit backlogged with cases. Patience is still a virtue apparently.  😎

07/31/05 First met in Ft Lauderdale

06/26/13 DOMA overturned

07/16/13 Married in Rockville, Maryland

08/22/13 Day 0 Mailed AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox (I-130, I-485, I-765)

11/20/13 Day 90 AOS Interview completed - Approved!

09/01/15 Day 740 I-751 Mailed ROC packet to California Service Center

04/08/16 Day 960 I-751 RFE received - need to provide more evidence of financial commingling

05/03/16 Day 985 RFE response sent

06/07/16 Day 1020 I-751 approval notice received

06/16/16 Day 1029 10-year greencard received

11/16/16 Day 1182 Mailed N-400 citizenship application

08/21/17 Day 1460 Received alert that naturalization interview was scheduled

09/28/17 Day 1498 N-400 interview completed - Approved!

10/20/17 Day 1520 Oath ceremony finished - now a US Citizen

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 7/9/2017 at 0:02 AM, SM & EF said:

Not yet. Still waiting to get scheduled for the interview.  Looks like South Florida is a bit backlogged with cases. Patience is still a virtue apparently.  😎

Oh you're also from south florida!

we just sent our i-751 last july 1st. Hope the whole process will be flawless. 

Our attorney told us today that ROC is taking 12-18 months to process.  Looks like most of us will be applying for Citizenship before receiving approval on ROC.  It appears Citizenship can be pursued with an interview, but will be kept on hold until the new Resident Card arrives.  We plan to get our state Senator involved again once we are six months into the wait time.  He has helped us before when waiting for other approvals.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It took us 15 months at the Vermont Service Center, with no RFEs.  I think USCIS will not even consider you "late" until after 12 months.  Go ahead and file the N-400, but be aware that you still will be waiting a year. 

Best of luck to all of us!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

The question I have is: One can apply for ROC three months before expiry of the 2 year Conditional Status. However, it would seem better to wait until a week before expiry of the 2 year status.

That's because I noticed the NOA1 for the I-751 is dated end May 2017 valid for one year. Waiting until end August and filing would have had the NOA1 expiration August 2018. 

So technically the validity of the NOA1 letter is for 9 months? So when can the Senator get involved? I also saw somewhere on this site that sending in the N400 will 'force' adjudication of an I-751?

Our attorneys suggested we wait six months before contacting our Senator's office.  In a way, it's a shame that we pay a large amount of money for an agent to review our packet and render a decision, and still, they don't have enough people to review our applications in a timely basis.  It gives the appearance that USCIS is not or efficient or responsive to the laws written by our Congress.  It shouldn't take 14 months to decide.  The fact that the law states that we need to file within a 90 day period before expiration of the Permanent Resident Card implies that is how long they need to process our paperwork.  Now, they send us a NOA extending us one year from the date of the NOA, not the expiration date, which implies it now takes that amount of time past the 90 day window to process our paperwork.  Now, it takes longer than that, which necessitates a trip for an Infopass meeting to have a passport stamped.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
8 hours ago, NYCruiser said:

The question I have is: One can apply for ROC three months before expiry of the 2 year Conditional Status. However, it would seem better to wait until a week before expiry of the 2 year status.

That's because I noticed the NOA1 for the I-751 is dated end May 2017 valid for one year. Waiting until end August and filing would have had the NOA1 expiration August 2018. 

So technically the validity of the NOA1 letter is for 9 months? So when can the Senator get involved? I also saw somewhere on this site that sending in the N400 will 'force' adjudication of an I-751?

Your NOA letter extends your GREEN CARD for one year.  The date on the letter is irrelevant.  It is, in my opinion, better to apply as soon as you are able, since you want to be able to respond to any RFEs in a timely manner.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 hours ago, Tcarrol said:

Our attorneys suggested we wait six months before contacting our Senator's office.  In a way, it's a shame that we pay a large amount of money for an agent to review our packet and render a decision, and still, they don't have enough people to review our applications in a timely basis.  It gives the appearance that USCIS is not or efficient or responsive to the laws written by our Congress.  It shouldn't take 14 months to decide.  The fact that the law states that we need to file within a 90 day period before expiration of the Permanent Resident Card implies that is how long they need to process our paperwork.  Now, they send us a NOA extending us one year from the date of the NOA, not the expiration date, which implies it now takes that amount of time past the 90 day window to process our paperwork.  Now, it takes longer than that, which necessitates a trip for an Infopass meeting to have a passport stamped.  

...and can you imagine there are people that want a National One Payer System of Healthcare run by this inept, corrupt and inefficient government? A $3.2 trillion worth boondoggle.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.