Eric and June

NOA2 was approved but we broke up, do I cancel?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi all, my fiancee and I broke up in January of this year while we were waiting for NOA2 for the K1 fiancee visa. I assume I should have cancelled the application but honestly I was so heartbroken and depressed over the breakup that I didn't even think of it, also I guess part of me was hoping we could work things out and keep to our plan but it's obvious now that is not going to happen.

We got NOA2 on April 24, 2013, I assume she was notified of this but have no idea, we haven't spoken since February. I have three questions:

1. Should I attempt to cancel the K1?

2. If yes, how do I go about that?

3. Will this affect my chances of having another petition approved if I should meet someone else abroad?

I guess I really should have taken care of this months ago, but like I said I was so sad I couldn't even think of it. I truly loved her and wanted to spend my life with her but as things progressed we started having trouble getting along and finally she gave up.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Its my understanding that she will be sent a packet with forms to fill out and an interview date from the consulate after the NOA2. Hopefully she didn't proceed with the process without your knowledge! It would be in your best interest to find out what has happened with your petition and make sure a visa wasn't issued to her.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Kenya
Timeline

you better cancel it b4 she comes into US under you and make things for you worse. call customer care and talk to them

am sorry for the heartbreak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Step back and think about why you got engaged in the first place, that is a big step to begin. Make it work, and give chance a try, you can always get divorced, decisions are never permanent, and maybe your life with her will be better. Otherwise you'll wonder what if, I guess your choice.

*** moved to effect of major family changes forum ****

Yes, just call the USCIS and cancel your petition. You may have to schedule an infopass with the local office or send a letter stating you wish to have your petition cancelled.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

As the petitioner, you need to send a letter to USCIS stating your intention to withdraw the petition. If you do not, there may be issues later on with other USCIS related activities.

Google for more information about more specifics.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Why would he call USCIS and try to cancel an approved petition? It's in the state departments hands now.

Contact the U.S. Consulate in Bangkok and inform them that you are not moving forward with your support of the visa. You can try sending them an email at visasbkk@state.gov. Use your BNK case number as the subject line.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Well wait,,,,,its only approved. and would have to be sent your support papers for her interview....just dont send her anything.... She just cant come because her petion was approved. She still has to have other supporting documents from the one who petioned for her.

In Love with Rosela......

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

As the petitioner, you need to send a letter to USCIS stating your intention to withdraw the petition. If you do not, there may be issues later on with other USCIS related activities.

Google for more information about more specifics.

I agree, if this did not work, what about the next one?

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'll try and make it clear this time.

IT IS AN APPROVED PETITION THAT HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO NVC AND PROBABLY THE CONSULATE. NO POINT IN CALLING USCIS TO CANCEL AN APPROVED PETITION.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Step back and think about why you got engaged in the first place, that is a big step to begin. Make it work, and give chance a try, you can always get divorced, decisions are never permanent, and maybe your life with her will be better. Otherwise you'll wonder what if, I guess your choice.

seriously?? again...SERIOUSLY??????

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

If you havent spoken in four months, the break up seems pretty final to me. My husband and I broke up a billion times, but maximum we could do without talking to each other was 5 days, even when we both tried dating other people and living normal lives in our countries. Lack of communication on both of your parts seems like a bad sign to me.

Don't marry to "give it a try". I don't judge anyone's reasons for getting married, but I do believe that generally many people tend to take this kind of thing less seriously than it should be taken. I see marriage/serious relationship as a commitment and decision you make every single day - to be with that person. To build a future with her/him.

Having said that, I do believe in trying very hard. I never considered it to be waste of time/money/whatever. If you want, you could call her and see what's up if you still want to give it a try. Do not mention the NOA2. You don't want her using you for a green card (I am not saying that she will, but it happens). Just tell her you were thinking about her and wondering how she was. If you guys mend it, great. If not, nothing happens. You can and should cancel this petition.

I am sorry you had to go through this. Hopefully the next person you meet will live in the U.S. so you won't have to go through this process and distance twice. It sucks. Good luck with whatever happens. :)

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.