maxxell

Is WIC welfare for I-864 purposes?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi Guys well i just came here hoping someone would have gone through this well thing is my wife came with a K-1 Visa and we got married and now processing her adjustment of status. So anyways we got a baby girl last month we wanna apply for WIC program for those of you who havent heard about it its like a program providing nutrition which is done by the department of Agriculture , so question is since i signed affidavit of support if we get this program would that be considered as welfare or ? anybody who knows pleases help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved from K-1 process to moving here and your live in america as this is not a K-1 process question.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am not positive, but WIC is based upon income. Therefore I would think that that as a means testes benefit you would not be eligible. Not Positive on this one though.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Timeline

I am not positive, but WIC is based upon income. Therefore I would think that that as a means testes benefit you would not be eligible. Not Positive on this one though.

Yes, WIC is a means tested benefit. It should only be used for US citizens, not green card holders as it could have repercussions.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

In my state WIC is offered in hospital to all mothers of new borns. It is not under Social Services. It is under Dept of Agriculture to offer nutrition to new babies. Cheese, milk, eggs and orange juice. No food stamps. You can not apply for any assistance. You were suppose to be able to afford her and a family when applied for her visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Yes, WIC is a means tested benefit. It should only be used for US citizens, not green card holders as it could have repercussions.

not true cause when i was on green card before i did my citizenship, i had WIC for my son

not true cause when i was on green card before i did my citizenship, i had WIC for my son

but in ur case it might be different

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : HAITI
I-129F SENT APRIL 25, 2013
NOA1 APRIL 29, 2013
ALIEN # CHANGE MAY 7, 2013
NOA2 JULY 14, 2013
NVC RECEIVE JULY 19, 2013
LEFT NVC JULY 23, 2013
EMBASSY RECEIVED JULY 25, 2013
PACKET 3 SENT AUGUST 7, 2013 (BUT VIA MAIL)
RECEIVED PACKET 3 AUGUST 26, 2013 IN THE STATE
FIANCE RECIEVED PACKET 3 AUGUST 29, 2013
event.png
event.png
event.png

Timeline

but in ur case it might be different

WIC is a means tested benefit yes. But it is often given to illegal immigrants and green card holders.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If WIC is to benefit the child ( I think it is worded that way) and your child is a USC then it is ok. I believe the idea is to provide healthy food to the mother who is hopefully breastfeeding the child.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Guys well i just came here hoping someone would have gone through this well thing is my wife came with a K-1 Visa and we got married and now processing her adjustment of status. So anyways we got a baby girl last month we wanna apply for WIC program for those of you who havent heard about it its like a program providing nutrition which is done by the department of Agriculture , so question is since i signed affidavit of support if we get this program would that be considered as welfare or ? anybody who knows pleases help

WIC is for the baby, and the baby is a US citizen and entitled to any means tested benefits she qualifies for.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

WIC is fine for the baby as WIC only gives food to pregnant women and sometimes nursing mothers. Make sure that your wife does not receive the very limited aid they might give to her for nursing. They should be able to sort it out at her appointment.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Well, it seems as if not too many people want to click the link I provided, so here's the info:

Benefits Not Subject to Public Charge Consideration

Under the agency guidance' date=' non-cash benefits and special-purpose cash benefits that are not intended for income maintenance are not subject to public charge consideration. Such benefits include:

[list']

[*]Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases, use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, prenatal care and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care

[*]Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

Nutrition programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)- commonly referred to as Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs

[*]Housing benefits

[*]Child care services

[*]Energy assistance, such as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

[*]Emergency disaster relief

[*]Foster care and adoption assistance

[*]Educational assistance (such as attending public school), including benefits under the Head Start Act and aid for elementary, secondary or higher education

[*]Job training programs

[*]In-kind, community-based programs, services or assistance (such as soup kitchens, crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter)

[*]Non-cash benefits under TANF such as subsidized child care or transit subsidies

[*]Cash payments that have been earned, such as Title II Social Security benefits, government pensions, and veterans' benefits, and other forms of earned benefits

[*]Unemployment compensation

Some of the above programs may provide cash benefits, such as energy assistance, transportation or child care benefits provided under TANF or the Child Care Development Block Grant (CCDBG), and one-time emergency payments under TANF. Since the purpose of such benefits is not for income maintenance, but rather to avoid the need for ongoing cash assistance for income maintenance, they are not subject to public charge consideration.

Note: In general, lawful permanent residents who currently possess a "green card" cannot be denied U.S. citizenship for lawfully receiving any public benefits for which they are eligible.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

http://www.massresources.org/wic-eligibility.html Here's the link for my state of MA in reference to WIC.

Can noncitizens get WIC?

Yes, noncitizens can get WIC. All noncitizens, including undocumented noncitizens, who meet the eligibility requirements can get WIC benefits.

No one from WIC will ask about your immigration status. Getting WIC benefits will not make you a public charge and will not hurt your chances of becoming a legal permanent resident.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

[/

if your wife got a medicaid insurance its easy to apply in wic...and if your income below $2k a month u are qualified..tell your wife to add my ym i can give her some ideas...darls_babe17@yahoo.com...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well, it seems as if not too many people want to click the link I provided, so here's the info:

Public charge and "means tested benefit" are 2 different things.

if your wife got a medicaid insurance its easy to apply in wic...and if your income below $2k a month u are qualified..tell your wife to add my ym i can give her some ideas...darls_babe17@yahoo.com...

Medicaid IS means-tested, the USC can be sued by the government to pay it back.

http://www.massresources.org/wic-eligibility.html Here's the link for my state of MA in reference to WIC.

Can noncitizens get WIC?

Yes, noncitizens can get WIC. All noncitizens, including undocumented noncitizens, who meet the eligibility requirements can get WIC benefits.

No one from WIC will ask about your immigration status. Getting WIC benefits will not make you a public charge and will not hurt your chances of becoming a legal permanent resident.

As I stated, public charge and means tested benefit are 2 different things.

Just because someone CAN get them, doesn't mean the government won't pursue them to repay it.

-----

Basically, a "public charge" issue is where certain thing CAN stop you from becoming a legal permanent resident. As stated by someone linked above, basically an programs that give you money (TANF for example) is a public charge issue. If you use it you may find yourself ineligible for LPR status.

Means-tested benefits are something that immigrants usually can't use until they've been an LPR for 5 years. Some things are able to be used before that time, but in BOTH instances, the sponsor of the immigrant can be sued by the government to repay the value of the services provided. Here is the link about means-tested benefits: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html#20

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.