thomas1977

Am I screwed?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have 3 children with my wife. Married after 10 years. We had problems (better now).

Stupid me popped these questions to the embassy. I used the same email as I have given them. My wife thinks they will not give me a green card now when they suspect that we are getting a divorce, what do you honestly think? Thanks

I wrote this:

I am in the process of applying for a IR-1 Visa. Now I am in the NVC phase.

My wife (after 10y) is american and I have 3 dual citizen children.

Me and my wife have had some rough times. I think that we are fine but I just want to check.

What happens if we divorce:

1. Before the interview, will I still be able to get the g-card?

2. After I have received the IR-1 Visa, Will I loose the green card? Will I be able to gain citizenship?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is highly likely that you will have some explaining to do.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Of course no, why would you ? Provided you IR-1 is to join your wife, if she is not your wife anymore, what's the concern ?

2. After I have received the IR-1 Visa, Will I loose the green card? Will I be able to gain citizenship?

No, you will not. You will be able to gain citizenship after 5 years of residency (meeting all the requirements - residency, taxes and others).

I have 3 children with my wife. Married after 10 years. We had problems (better now).

Stupid me popped these questions to the embassy. I used the same email as I have given them. My wife thinks they will not give me a green card now when they suspect that we are getting a divorce, what do you honestly think? Thanks

I wrote this:

Me and my wife have had some rough times. I think that we are fine but I just want to check.

Are you stating that those are the exact words you sent to the embassy? If so, I think youre going to have an extremely tough interview.

You basically said, as Mrs.Hogan explained, youre contemplating a divorce (you pretty much said so with 'what happens if we divorce') and are asking how long do you need to stay married to obtain benefits.

Remaining married to obtain benefits is fraud. They will not grant you a visa under those circumstances.

Sadly now youre going to need to demonstrate to the embassy that you contemplated divorce and explain the reasons why. Then prove to them you changed your mind and immigrating to the US (getting a GC/becoming a citizen in the future) had absolutely no role in it whatsoever. How in the heck youre going to prove that? I have no idea. Its going to be hard to overcome.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I thimk you will need docuentation of marriage counseling to overcome this. Has your wife been living with you in your country for 10 years. Wjat country are you from

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wrote this:

Yikes. :dead: Did you include other personal info like your full name and date of birth, petitioner's full name and DOB and NVC case number?

I wrote this:

You've been a VJ member since September 2012, so :time: .

I'm assuming you are the beneficiary and your wife is USC.

Does your wife live with you in your home country?

What country do you guys live in right now? (This may make a difference because certain embassies subject people to more scrutiny than others)

You're at the NVC stage, then why are you contacting the embassy?

Why on Earth would you send something like that to the embassy?

There are so many holes in your story and by the looks of it, as other VJ members have suggested, it does seem like you are trying to solely obtain visa benefits through your marriage. There must be more to the story.

Edited by Mina90

I am freaking out!!! Thank you for your support!

I love my children and my wife. Yes we are having problems but I think that we are going to make it.

I live in Norway. She went ahead of me in Oct to USA. I was there this Christmas for 4w.

What happened:

She misunderstood a email I wrote that I was not going to support her financially (my wording was bad in the email).

She emailed angry "Im going legal and filing for legal separation"

I freaked out, spent 4 days on sick leave, considered divorce, checking all the laws and wrote this email to embassy (desparate people do stupid things).

I wrote the question because I was scared. I wanted to know what would happen if my wife filed for Legal Separation.

Before answer from embassy over the weekend I decided to try to make the marriage work with my wife through counceling etc. It is the best for the children and I realised that I can not live without them and my wife.

I talked to my wife and her threats was empty.. she wrote that to scare me. We comitted to contiune to fight for the marriage.

Then I got the answer from the embassy (no surprices, just short answers).

I will visit US in 3w from now and be there until the interview. The plan is to live with her and to go to marriage counceling and try to improve the marriage.

She refuces to live in Norway so if this craps out then my family is in deep trouble.

Your questions:

Yikes. :dead: Did you include other personal info like your full name and date of birth, petitioner's full name and DOB and NVC case number?

I think they can figure out who I am using my email address.

You've been a VJ member since September 2012, so :time: .

I'm assuming you are the beneficiary and your wife is USC.

Correct, children USC also.

Does your wife live with you in your home country?

Not right now, she has been in USA since oct. I was there last Christmas 4w.

What country do you guys live in right now? (This may make a difference because certain embassies subject people to more scrutiny than others)

I live in Norway

You're at the NVC stage, then why are you contacting the embassy?

Why on Earth would you send something like that to the embassy?

I was scared and stupid, see above.

I thimk you will need docuentation of marriage counseling to overcome this.

I am planning counceling with her in April so I can bring documentation of that to interview. I have been in counceling alone since she left. Do not know if that improves my situation.

Has your wife been living with you in your country for 10 years. Wjat country are you from

We have always lived together. In USA and Norway (Ive had a green-card before). I have good career and a clean criminal background.

Thank you for your support!

Edited by thomas1977

I wish your family the best. I hope it doesn't come back to bite you in the butt.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'm sorry to say, but the wording of such questions makes it sounds like you're trying to figure out how long you have to stay married in order to get what you want.

:thumbs:

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Stockholm is usually an easy embassy, but.... eeek!

Another problem is that your wife 'refuses to live in Norway'...I'm not questioning the bonafides of your marriage, but you are going to have be very careful with your wording from here on out. If I was a CO, I'd be looking for you to trip up.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

What do you mean? What is "trip up". CO = Customer Official?

Thanks

Consular officer

Trip up = making a mistake. Are you sure you spent 10 years with a native English speaker? (Not to be rude, but it is unusual that you didn't know what that meant).

They are looking for you to indicate to them that you aren't interested in America to be with your wife. Why does she *refuse* to live in Norway if she loves you so much? Why must it be America and not Sweden or the UK or anywhere else?

Why would you want a greencard if you weren't still married?

These are all valid questions that you should probably think about how you are going to answer.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.