asteria

petition, K1 and sponsor myself

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Truly the OP's question has struck a nerve. We all know here that even honest couples have been denied. Perhaps the OP's fiancee' is looking towards the future, and will make a full change in his life. This is a good thing. The OP's journey is her own. We all know that when love finds us, that it is not always what we expected.

Good Luck to you both. We wish you the best. Keep records of all your contacts, and letters, and such. See you when you get here. Congratulations.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good luck OP it's a tough spot for you!

At least you can still visit him and during the wait time ull be waiting for ur visa aswell as ur husbands release. So might as well wait on both at the same time.

event.png

interview: Sept.10th

If the visa is approved how would the AOS go? If there is no AOS within 90 days of POE the OP would become out of status and that might not be good if the USC is in prison. Wouldn't have to wait until the prison sentence finished because don't you have to be living at the same residence as each other? If there was an interview the USC probably would not be able to go because of being in jail. I almost wonder if it might be best to wait until the prison sentence is over or almost over? OP I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Filed: Timeline

^I understand your logic but you also must realize that plenty of AOS petitions are granted every single day when the two spouses are NOT living together. They are called spousal CR1 petitions where one spouse resides overseas and the other spouse resides in the US.

Also, yes if the interview is conducted in the US, both spouses are required to attended, however they do make exceptions. Spouses that are under military orders or incarcerated are exempt from attending. Since they can not move the interview to the spouse, or delay the interview until the spouse can attend- the interview will take place with out them.

A number of posts violating the TOS have been removed and administrative action taken. There will be no further warnings.

Welcome to the board, Asteria. If you feel a post is judgmental and/or inappropriate, please use the report button to the bottom left of each post.

Now back to topic. There have been several successful petitions made by inmates, along with successful applications made by the beneficiaries. With any luck, they will see your post and contact you. Or you may want to try the advanced search feature on the top right of the screen.

Good luck.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Another issue, if he is incarcerated, have you ever met him in real life? Is he just a pen pal you've me online and never actually met? There is a requirement that you have met and been together within 2 years prior to filing.

I went to visit him in prison recently. I'll be using the embassy of Mauritius.

Another issue, if he is incarcerated, have you ever met him in real life? Is he just a pen pal you've me online and never actually met? There is a requirement that you have met and been together within 2 years prior to filing.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

It may be besides the point but our criminal justice system is, to put it mildly, fundamentally corrupt and decrepit. Just because he was sentenced for 2 years for robbery doesn't mean he went into a store and put a gun to someone's head and demanded the cash in the register. Remember how Lindsay Lohan was charged with theft because she kept some jewelry loaned to her from a designer for too long? You don't know the details of this guy's case or whether he had a cr*p attorney who got him a bad deal.

Of course those charges went away for LiLo because she had top representation.

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

K-1 requires marriage within 90 days. Is the prison going to allow the two of you to marry? If they don't, you will have to wait. It's hard enough to marry a prisoner when you are both in the US already, it's going to be even harder for you.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Get all thoughts out of your head you can Self-Sponsor yourself with a K-1 Petition. ONLY a USC can do that so ignore the post "some Embasseys allow that."

I self sponsored. So you are very wrong.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.