asteria

petition, K1 and sponsor myself

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all

I am a foreigner and my boyfriend is a US citizen

We are going to start Petition and then K1 process. My issues:

My boyfriend is actually incarcerated, will it hamper the petition?

For K-1, if of course petition is approved, can I sponsor myself?my boyfriend will not be able to do so.

Thanks all for your reply

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all

For K-1, if of course petition is approved, can I sponsor myself?my boyfriend will not be able to do so.

Hi, I don't believe you can sponsor yourself. He will have to sponsor you or he has to get a co-sponsor for you guys.

Good luck.

I Looooooove my baby Lyn.

Certain embassies allow for self-sponsoring. Which embassy will you be using?

Inmates can file for K1 visas, however there are certain things that may effect whether or not its approved. It would depend on what hes in prison for.

Another part of the K1 being approved is that you had to have met in person with in the last two years. Have you met that requirement?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

From http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html

During the visa interview, applicants will be required to present evidence to the Consular Officer that they will not become a public charge in the U.S. You may present evidence that you are able to financially support yourself or that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) is able to provide support. The Consular Officer may request that a Form I-134, Affidavit of Support be submitted by the U.S. citizen fiancé(e).

The U.S. citizen fiancé(e) will need to submit Form I-864 to USCIS with the application for adjustment of status to that of legal permanent resident following the marriage.

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

ummm....i don't mean to be rude but how is someone that is in prison going to immigrate you.....i'm a newbie here, maybe someone can correct me and if you can i wud be blown away that they allow someone who is in prison to immigrate someone

1. they do criminal background checks on both of you

2. how long is he in prison and for what?....cuz i;m sure that will be the deciding factor...how long his sentence is and for what

3. where will u live if he is in prison?

Edited by erica and ahmed

Certain embassies allow for self-sponsoring. Which embassy will you be using?

Inmates can file for K1 visas, however there are certain things that may effect whether or not its approved. It would depend on what hes in prison for.

Another part of the K1 being approved is that you had to have met in person with in the last two years. Have you met that requirement?

I went to visit him in prison recently. I'll be using the embassy of Mauritius.

ummm....i don't mean to be rude but how is someone that is in prison going to immigrate you.....i'm a newbie here, maybe someone can correct me and if you can i wud be blown away that they allow someone who is in prison to immigrate someone

1. they do criminal background checks on both of you

2. how long is he in prison and for what?....cuz i;m sure that will be the deciding factor...how long his sentence is and for what

3. where will u live if he is in prison?

he will get out in two years, his mother is fine to sponsor me but I'm not sure if this will be accepted. I'll be at his mother's place

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello all

This is a gag/joke, right?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Get all thoughts out of your head you can Self-Sponsor yourself with a K-1 Petition. ONLY a USC can do that so ignore the post "some Embasseys allow that."

Serving 2 years would mean a Felony. Thats an issue and what the charges and conviction were for to a huge extent. (care to tell us why the reason for imprisonment.)

There is no reason why you can't file a petition but only the USC can do that and for a K-1 it must be your future Fiance'.

Yes, the mother can Co-Sponsor. I'm sorry for your situation. I feel any Legitimate Attorney would tell you the same. I suggest: Wait.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Get all thoughts out of your head you can Self-Sponsor yourself with a K-1 Petition. ONLY a USC can do that so ignore the post "some Embasseys allow that."

Wrong. Some consulates do allow self-sponsorship. More than one person has done this and reported back to VJ. However, I don't know if Mauritius allows it.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.