Bill and Tanya

Where can we meet?

91 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I am a US citizen and due to child support arrears, I am unable to obtain a US passport. My girlfriend lives in Russia, and we were planning for her to visit me, but her tourist visa was denied (214b). We would like to start petition for K1, but understand that you must meet in person. Does anyone have suggestions as to where we can meet? I have thought of Juarez, Mexico, but as unsafe as Mexico is currently, I would love to hear other suggestions.

Please refrain from bashing about child support obligations, there is no current support order, and only arrears where the biological mother bilked two states for welfare for 10 years before I even knew I had a child - long story.

ü Met online - Oct 31, 2012

ü Met in Mexico - Jan 21, 2013 Q

ü Expedited removal and 5 year ban vacated - Mar 21, 2013

ü I129F sent - Apr 16, 2013 +

ü I129F confirmed received - Apr 19, 2013

ü USCIS Acceptance Confirmation (NOA1) - Apr 25, 2013 +

ü Met in Mexico - Jun 21, 2013 Q

ü Email, petition transferred to another office - Jul 10, 2013

ü Hard copy, petition confirmed transferred to Texas - Jul 14, 2013 +

ü Email notification of NOA2 - Approved!!! (100 days) - Jul 28, 2013

ü Hard copy NOA2 - Sep 21, 2013 +

ü NVC case number - Sep 9, 2013 (

ü Hard copy NVC case number - Sep 15, 2013 +

ü Interview scheduled for Oct 4. 2013 - Approved!!!!

ü Visas received!!! - Oct 23, 2013 +

ü Port of entry - Nov 12, 2013 Q

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

ü AOJ Interview - Jul 1, 2014

ü Green Cards Received - Jul 14, 2014 +

ü 1st anniversary -  Dec 24, 2014 

ü 2nd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2015 

ü Applied for removal of conditions - Jul 14, 2016 +

ü 3rd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2016 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Well what other options do you have? Chose a country where you as an American don't need a passport and where your girlfriend won't have issues getting a visa if she needs one.

Yes you do need to meet in person, and I assume you would want to do that anyway, you want to meet the person you gonna marry before you actually do it no?

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You will need a passport to go to mexico - at least to come back to the US

^This is what I was going to say. Certain states allow for special passes or driver's license to get into Mexico (or Canada), but if you don't have that then you can't get back in from Mexico.

I believe you can go to/from the Caribbean still with just an ID and your birth certificate, though. Someone correct me if that's changed!

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Are you currently on a payment plan ? Once you have been on a plan and the support arrears is below a certain level you may ask that the passport restrictions be removed.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

The child is 26 now, and as I said, there is no current support order. I have paid my support obligation since I found out. It is obvious that paying off the arrears and obtaining my passport is the logical route, however, as I do not have the $20k to do this, I am here asking for suggestions where the both of us can meet in lieu of my missing passport.

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You cannot re-nter the US without PP regardless where U want to visit, there is some kind of pass into Canada or Mexico

from a few states that a US citizen can obtain, call your congress person office to enquire, seem if U make payment plans

for arrears and the child is an adult they would work with you, cant you speak to the childs mother to help get you out of

that bind? If you get a PP you could meet in Mexico, Bahamas,Jamaica ,Antigua or Belize and remember everywhere has crime one

just have to practise common sense when travelling and party, eat, drink in your own hotel at nights, also upon landing in a country

register your where-abouts with your Consulate by calling and leaving your info on US citizen lines ...best wishes bro

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Your only option, I believe is to pay the 20k arrears or have your partner try again for a B2 visa from Russia (providing stronger ties to Russia).

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Timeline

child support restrictions according to the government you can get your name off the list once payment arrangements have been made.

There seems to be much misinformation being fed to me from the state holding the enforcement. I did contact them, and it was they who told me that I will not be removed from the list until the arrears were below $2500. I will look more into this and post my findings to this thread. I am sure there are others in this dilemma.

I will also have her try again to apply for a B2 visa. Any suggestions on what are considered strong ties? She has a 7 year old daughter, and has worked for 5 years at the same job. I am afraid I am really new to all this, so I do not know what they consider to be good evidence against immigrant intent, or how to prove strong ties to your home country.

Thanks for the insightful suggestions from those of you who provided viable comments.

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am a US citizen and due to child support arrears, I am unable to obtain a US passport. My girlfriend lives in Russia, and we were planning for her to visit me, but her tourist visa was denied (214b). We would like to start petition for K1, but understand that you must meet in person. Does anyone have suggestions as to where we can meet? I have thought of Juarez, Mexico, but as unsafe as Mexico is currently, I would love to hear other suggestions.

Please refrain from bashing about child support obligations, there is no current support order, and only arrears where the biological mother bilked two states for welfare for 10 years before I even knew I had a child - long story.

You NEED a US passport to be able to return to the US from wherever you travel. You and your fiance can visit together wherever she can obtain a visa to travel to, or in Russia itself.

She would need to travel to other countries and return to Russia to show that she will do that, return. After that then she might be able to obtain a visa to travel to the US.

She should begin that process and for you do whatever you can to get a US passport; I don't see how child support requirements deny you from obtaining a US passport but I'm sure there is more to the story.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Get her to get a Schengen Visa (for Europe) and make a couple of short trips to Europe, then re-apply for the tourist visa.

Maybe get a couple of free lawyer consultations in regards to you getting a US passport, since you have a payment plan in place for the child support.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You are going to have other problems to care about first.

If your passport is being withheld because of child support issues that is going to be held against you in the filing of your affidavit of support. They are basically going to "deduct" any and all child support owed from your annual income, which could (probably) put you below the minimum needed to sponsor her. If child support issues are casuing your passport to be withheld then there IS an order someowhere and they WILL inform your fiancee of this at her interview even if you have a co-sponsor.

You may want to line up a co-sponsor.

You cannot enter or the United States after leaving without a passport or enhanced drivers license, Mexico would be your only choice with an EDL and then only by ground transport.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Get her to get a Schengen Visa (for Europe) and make a couple of short trips to Europe, then re-apply for the tourist visa.

Maybe get a couple of free lawyer consultations in regards to you getting a US passport, since you have a payment plan in place for the child support.

He can check, but even with a payment plan in place, until the arrearage is below a certain amount (I think it is about $2500 but could be wrong about the amount) the restriction on his passport remains in place.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.