Bill and Tanya

Where can we meet?

91 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You NEED a US passport to be able to return to the US from wherever you travel. You and your fiance can visit together wherever she can obtain a visa to travel to, or in Russia itself.

She would need to travel to other countries and return to Russia to show that she will do that, return. After that then she might be able to obtain a visa to travel to the US.

She should begin that process and for you do whatever you can to get a US passport; I don't see how child support requirements deny you from obtaining a US passport but I'm sure there is more to the story.

Arrearages in excess of a specific amount are reported to the DOS and passports are restricted or made unobtainable. Even if he had a passport it would be flagged and he would not be allowed to leave the country (actually enter another country)

In order for this to be reported there MUST be a violation of an order, which means there MUST be an order and a court judement of arrearage. DOS does not "lock you in" on someone's word that you owe money or on rumors or innuendo.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

You cannot re-nter the US without PP regardless where U want to visit, there is some kind of pass into Canada or Mexico

from a few states that a US citizen can obtain, call your congress person office to enquire, seem if U make payment plans

for arrears and the child is an adult they would work with you, cant you speak to the childs mother to help get you out of

that bind? If you get a PP you could meet in Mexico, Bahamas,Jamaica ,Antigua or Belize and remember everywhere has crime one

just have to practise common sense when travelling and party, eat, drink in your own hotel at nights, also upon landing in a country

register your where-abouts with your Consulate by calling and leaving your info on US citizen lines ...best wishes bro

Actually you can reenter the U.S without passport. You can go to the Embassy and they will issue you a one time pass to reenter to the U.S if you have proof you are an USC (trust me the U.S Gov wants you back to take care of the arrear) It takes avg 10-15 days to get that pass from an Embassy though. From CA you can enter Mexico and come back to the State via CA DL. A friend of mine did that 10 months ago, not sure if it is still OK. I also heard you don't need passport to go to Canada but I could be wrong.

Good luck to you.

Arrearages in excess of a specific amount are reported to the DOS and passports are restricted or made unobtainable. Even if he had a passport it would be flagged and he would not be allowed to leave the country (actually enter another country)

In order for this to be reported there MUST be a violation of an order, which means there MUST be an order and a court judement of arrearage. DOS does not "lock you in" on someone's word that you owe money or on rumors or innuendo.

It is not true about "not allowed to leave the country"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_U.S.C._%C2%A7_652(k)

The State Department adopted a policy of refusing to issue passports to individuals whose child support payments were $5,000 or more in arrears, but it did not have the resources to revoke the existing passports of such individuals

This isn't the greatest idea...just change who you owe the money to. Apply for a loan to pay off what you owe to the state. You will still owe the money, but it will remove the restrictions. You might end up paying more in the long run though.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Not being judgemental, I would clean up any due obligations before taking on a new one. See an attorney and get current on payments. Keep it simple.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I also heard you don't need passport to go to Canada but I could be wrong.

Good luck to you.

You definitely need a passport to fly to Canada. You CAN use an enhanced DL if entering by sea or land.

Edited by JensJrny2Ray

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Timeline

Actually you can reenter the U.S without passport. You can go to the Embassy and they will issue you a one time pass to reenter to the U.S if you have proof you are an USC (trust me the U.S Gov wants you back to take care of the arrear) It takes avg 10-15 days to get that pass from an Embassy though. From CA you can enter Mexico and come back to the State via CA DL. A friend of mine did that 10 months ago, not sure if it is still OK. I also heard you don't need passport to go to Canada but I could be wrong.

Good luck to you.

I live at the Canadian border and go there often. Like more than once per week. You need a passport since 2009. You can also use an enhnaced drivers license for ground transport OR just a green card for LPRs. But Canada will not allow a Russian in without a visa and they are not likely to allow anyone in that has there passport privileges in the USA suspended. Neither is any other country.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

It is not true about "not allowed to leave the country"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_U.S.C._%C2%A7_652(k)

The State Department adopted a policy of refusing to issue passports to individuals whose child support payments were $5,000 or more in arrears, but it did not have the resources to revoke the existing passports of such individuals

They "flag them" electronically. Which country will allow you to enter with a flagged passport? Maybe wiki will tell you. Not the same as "revoking". Irrelevent in this case...he has no passport. He is not going to get one and the arrearage will be deducted from his annual income for purposes of calculating the income for Adjustment of Status, just as Tax leins are. Why? Because Child support and the IRS are the only ones that get to the front of the line ahead of the Federal government for collecting on welfare benefits. They have to assume that amount of money is not available for them.

You have to show that you will support your NEW fiancee/wife. He cannot show he supports his child. Not making any judgements, I don't have to. But THEY do.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Not to mention how on earth you will be able to make trips to see this woman, and if things go well, begin a visa process, all of which will cost thousands of dollars, if you cannot afford to pay the child support.You really need to clean that mess up first. As some one said up thread, try to get a personal loan and pay this off. May cost a bit more in interest charges but you will have your life back.

Edited by Enigma11561

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It seems the passport issue has been well covered and something you will need to overcome, I can tell you that I am currently in Mexico with my fiance from Russia, I did not want to spend our vacation in frozen Russsia! I did a lot of research on the different optoins such as Jamaica and the Bahamas, etc.. they dont require a visa for Russians citizens however all the flights I found had over night stays or long layovers in other countries, also they always involved a flight change in Miami which would involve a transit visa for her from the US and I definitely didnt want to get involved in that. However Mexico has relaxed their requirements for Russian citizens to visit, she was able to fill out an online application, get instant approval, print it out and she was done. Also there are direct flights from Moscow to Cancun on Transaero which made the trip much easier for her. It wasn't cheap I can assure you but it is a great alternative to Russia in January! One of the many all inclusive resorts are the way to go. Hope this helps.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Perhaps this will help

As of June 2012, holders of ordinary passports Russian passport for travel abroad traveling as tourists may visit at least 117 countries visa-free or with a visa-on-arrival.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Russian_citizens

There you have countries that she can travel to.

The following are countries that you can travel to:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/US_Citizens_Visa_Req_Map.PNG

However you need a valid US Passport to return or a Passport derivative such as Nexus which I doubt that you can get.

The following is an alternative document in lieu of a passort but only if you live in one of the states that issue them:

Enhanced Driver's License

An enhanced driver's license denotes both identity and citizenship and can be used as a cross-border travel document to enter the United States by land and sea only. Four states are currently issuing enhanced driver's licenses: Michigan, New York, Vermont, and Washington. For more information about enhanced driver's licenses, visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website at www.getyouhome.gov/html/EDL_map.html.

I did come across this so perhaps sometime, hopefully in the near future NM will have one available, and hopefully you can bypass the limitations of the passport:

"Southern Border states will be offering EDL as well like Arizona, Texas, and New Mexico"

Edited by Juliet and Steve

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

I believe you can go to/from the Caribbean still with just an ID and your birth certificate, though. Someone correct me if that's changed!

They've asked for my US passport and return ticket when we went to Grand Bahamas back in 2010

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If you meet the girl anywhere other than in the states, you will need proof of having met in person. The most solid proof if met outside of the United States, is entery stamps. You won't have that. Also, lets say the European visa scenario works, who will pay for her short trips t Europe and then big long trip to the United States ? Either way, financially, paying off the child support, at once or over time and starting over with the new girlfriend is your best option

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You NEED a US passport to be able to return to the US from wherever you travel. You and your fiance can visit together wherever she can obtain a visa to travel to, or in Russia itself.

She would need to travel to other countries and return to Russia to show that she will do that, return. After that then she might be able to obtain a visa to travel to the US.

She should begin that process and for you do whatever you can to get a US passport; I don't see how child support requirements deny you from obtaining a US passport but I'm sure there is more to the story.

This is incorrect for Mexico. As a US citizen you can ravel on your DL up to 50 miles into Mexico absolutely legally. You can also return carrying your either Birth or Naturalization Certificate back to US. I traveled back and force into Tijuana and back into San Diego every day just on naturalization certificate as I did not have passport - I was making Russian visa for 2 years at he moment. No problem and totally legal. Now, regarding Mexico: while my fiancee and I were waiting for NOA1, I rented apartment in TJ and commuted very day to work o San Diego. NO PROBLEM. I highly recommend meeting in Mexico. It is extremely easy to get Mexican visa in Russia. I recommend this route.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.