Bill and Tanya

Where can we meet?

91 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Definitely do not hire that lawyer. There is zero truth to that. The two main requirements of an I-129F petition are: 1) You are both free to marry at the time of filing, and 2) you have met in person, face-to-face within the 2 years prior to filing. They are strict about both of those requirements.

The 90 days is not for meeting in person and deciding if you are suited for one another. The 90 days is allotted for the foreign fiance(e) to arrive, get settled, deal with documentation and get married. You both will sign letters of intent stating you are free to marry and plan to marry within 90 days of their arrival to the US. This is a fiance(e) visa. It is for those already engaged and ready to marry.

This is kind of what I thought. If it sounds too good to be true?

I really kind of wanted your opinion on this.

ü Met online - Oct 31, 2012

ü Met in Mexico - Jan 21, 2013 Q

ü Expedited removal and 5 year ban vacated - Mar 21, 2013

ü I129F sent - Apr 16, 2013 +

ü I129F confirmed received - Apr 19, 2013

ü USCIS Acceptance Confirmation (NOA1) - Apr 25, 2013 +

ü Met in Mexico - Jun 21, 2013 Q

ü Email, petition transferred to another office - Jul 10, 2013

ü Hard copy, petition confirmed transferred to Texas - Jul 14, 2013 +

ü Email notification of NOA2 - Approved!!! (100 days) - Jul 28, 2013

ü Hard copy NOA2 - Sep 21, 2013 +

ü NVC case number - Sep 9, 2013 (

ü Hard copy NVC case number - Sep 15, 2013 +

ü Interview scheduled for Oct 4. 2013 - Approved!!!!

ü Visas received!!! - Oct 23, 2013 +

ü Port of entry - Nov 12, 2013 Q

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

ü AOJ Interview - Jul 1, 2014

ü Green Cards Received - Jul 14, 2014 +

ü 1st anniversary -  Dec 24, 2014 

ü 2nd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2015 

ü Applied for removal of conditions - Jul 14, 2016 +

ü 3rd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2016 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can't thank you all enough for the extremely useful information, especially from San Diego, as I was in El Paso a couple months ago and asked some of the locals there about crossing into Juarez. I agree as this might be a valid option. And from belinda - I have not submitted my application because I was told there was a hold. Perhaps I should give this a try and see if I squeak by. I have also talked to a lawyer who said I can obtain a clearance letter that shows I am current with my payments. Any validity to this?

To clear up all the Neighsayers concern about my finances, I currently make $79,000 annually, have no children living at home, own my home and car, and have a credit score of 785. I really didn't feel like sharing so many personal details of my life, and asked to refrain from bashing about child support arrears, but I guess that was too much to hope for.

The child support arrears started at $52,000 when this woman I slept with twice in high school figured out in the late 80s that she can milk two states for a total of $1000 per month. When the child turned 10, she moved to a third state, and by this time accumulated 4 more children, all from different fathers. When she moved to the third state, the entire child support enforcement file from state number one moved with her, then later from state number two, which basically doubled the amount I owed. From the time I found out about the child, I paid support. As I said before, the child is now 26 and has a family of his own, and does not communicate with his mother. She is alcohol and drug addicted, morbidly obese, and may not live long due to poor lifestyle and recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes. I won't even go into the bitter dispute with the biological mother I had when I approached her on settling, who told me I will pay every month and will never release me from the debt. She is a crooked woman who exploits flaws in the system.

So now that I have shared all the dirt on this situation, I ask once again to please refrain from continuing to discuss and make suggestion to pay off arrears, and stay focused to the the question at hand: how best to meet, and is there any truth to one lawyer's claim, and I quote "As long as you have evidence such as emails, letters etc. This is a fiance visa so therefore no physical contact is needed. That is why they also give you 90 days once she is here for you to marry her to be sure that this is what you want."

Yes, usually you can get a summary of the status of your support case. This should include all payments made and portions applied to arrears.

My guess is that having already paid $32,000 in arrears could go a long way in your favor. If it’s just you, her and her child, and you make $79,000 and owe $20,000 in arrears mathematically it could work. It’s a coin toss depending how they will view it.

Are you sure the state has it reported against your passport? I know in my case I later saw the arrears was reported on my credit report and had a negative effect on my score. If your score is 785 it seems unlikely that it’s actually been reported.

Also, if your credit score is 785, and income is $79,000, you’re probably better off getting a loan and paying it off outright. The interest on the loan will probably be less than the interest the state puts on the arrears.

I know in Arizona its 10% APR compounded.

Also you might check with the state and see if they have a debt compromise program, most states do. Considering your financial situation they may be willing to work with you.

I don’t know ####### about going to Mexico, never been there. But the arrears I know.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If you are a US citizen, and you have proof of such, they cannot deny you entry into the country. They will pull you aside and verify you are who you say you are. We were just talking about this in another thread...See end of this article

They can deny you entry to Mexico. I go to Canada every week, I MUST show my passport or enhanced drivers license to ENTER Canada. Without it, they turn you around and walk you back to the US border

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

They can deny you entry to Mexico. I go to Canada every week, I MUST show my passport or enhanced drivers license to ENTER Canada. Without it, they turn you around and walk you back to the US border

Understood, I'm not advocating to circumvent getting a passport, just correcting some misinformation. There are lots of ways to get stuck without a passport in another country. If you accidentally fell into the St Laurence and washed up on the Canadian side, you can still get home if you have proof of who you are in your pocket, might even be able to just use fingerprints if you are on file.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok, here is a simple idea to solve the debate of passport no passport for Mexico.

Your profile says you’re in New Mexico.

Before having her fly to Mexico, take a weekend daytrip to someplace like Nogales. It’s right on the Arizona/Mexico border. If they say no, you only out a long drive.

I don’t know, there could even be closer border towns to where you are. After you get back let us know.

I also think with your credit score and income, it's a better idea for you to pay off those arrears, get a passport, and meet your girlfriend somewhere sunny.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Could you just not meet over the fence at one of the border towns in Mexico? I've seen video of families celebrating birthdays and things across it. That would technically be in person and you could even take photographs. :whistle:

Edited by Nola123

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

Regards. I think everybody who made a suggestion had good ideas. I would have to say to you as well that perhaps you cn look to a brighter future as far as your options go.

For example, maybe in the future New Mexico will offer the enhanced driving license. It is possible that you could get one of these even with your current complicated situation regarding finances.

In short, I am saying that this is a door that maybe could open up for you, maybe not next week, but maybe not so far away in the near future. After all your state is a border state and these are the states that would probable want to offer the special driving license in the future.

I hope that I have offered some suggestion that can encourage you a little.

I think you asked a very specific question and it seems like you have to wade through a lot of replies from Dr. Phil before you can get some direct response to your question.

In the meantime, some action that can be taken would be to have your girlfriend make a visit outside her country and then come back, if possible.

This can increase her chances of getting her visa to the USA approved.

Good luck and regarding the replies, take what you need and leave the rest :reading:

regards and sincerely,

Nascar fan

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Others have already contributed about the need to resolve the arrears to get your passport to get anywhere.

However, if you really do want an option for meeting her before you can get your passport, this far-out option just might work....

1. Get her to Canada. I am assuming this is easier than getting her to USA, but I could be wrong.

2. Meet up at a border area that is open on both sides. It has been several years since I was there, but Peace Arch park near Blaine, Washington was like this. You could walk into the park from Blaine on the USA side, and also walk in from the Canadian side. Find a place like that and meet her. Get your picnic basket ready.

The last time I was there, I saw a couple getting married while straddling the USA/Canadian border.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You do not need passport to enter Mexico. It is legal to visit Mexico within some distance from the Border. I know it as I live 30 mins away from the Border.

There you go, SD will act as your guide.

YES you MUST meet in person for at least as long as it takes to document that you did just that. Could be just for 5 seconds to take a photo or whatever. Then file away and work on the evidence of the relationship. When you're ready for that please move over to the RUB regional forum since you'll want country specific information.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My friend USC owed $4000 arrears, the kid/adult mother just signed off on someting and he was able to travel , for 3 yrs he could not get his PP renewed. The boy is 20 yrs old with 2 kids, and he supported them, prior to putting himself on child support, she lied that

he owed that amount, they say his money order reciepts did not count.Yes they do deniy you pPP for child support, its a fact.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok, here is a simple idea to solve the debate of passport no passport for Mexico.

Your profile says you’re in New Mexico.

Before having her fly to Mexico, take a weekend daytrip to someplace like Nogales. It’s right on the Arizona/Mexico border. If they say no, you only out a long drive.

I don’t know, there could even be closer border towns to where you are. After you get back let us know.

This is not a bad idea. El Paso is only a couple hours away from me, I could bang this out while I get my car serviced there next time. I will probably do this within the next few weeks, and will post my results here.

In the meantime, some action that can be taken would be to have your girlfriend make a visit outside her country and then come back, if possible.

This can increase her chances of getting her visa to the USA approved.

Good luck and regarding the replies, take what you need and leave the rest :reading:

regards and sincerely,

Nascar fan

It looks like Mexico is rapidly becoming my option of choice. I have done a little research, and found that the Lucerna is probably going to be the hotel of choice, I just need to find out how much of a problem it will be to go from the border to the airport, then to the hotel, making sure I do not get robbed or taken advantage of.

You guys are great, and have given me lots of ideas and renewed hope. I actually had one lawyer tell me I am out of luck, and to find a nice American girl - I told her I would have better luck finding bigfoot. I do have much to look into, but everyone has been so helpful. I wish everyone a wonderful 2013! Since the world did not end on the 21st of last month, everything has been looking brighter! :lol:

ü Met online - Oct 31, 2012

ü Met in Mexico - Jan 21, 2013 Q

ü Expedited removal and 5 year ban vacated - Mar 21, 2013

ü I129F sent - Apr 16, 2013 +

ü I129F confirmed received - Apr 19, 2013

ü USCIS Acceptance Confirmation (NOA1) - Apr 25, 2013 +

ü Met in Mexico - Jun 21, 2013 Q

ü Email, petition transferred to another office - Jul 10, 2013

ü Hard copy, petition confirmed transferred to Texas - Jul 14, 2013 +

ü Email notification of NOA2 - Approved!!! (100 days) - Jul 28, 2013

ü Hard copy NOA2 - Sep 21, 2013 +

ü NVC case number - Sep 9, 2013 (

ü Hard copy NVC case number - Sep 15, 2013 +

ü Interview scheduled for Oct 4. 2013 - Approved!!!!

ü Visas received!!! - Oct 23, 2013 +

ü Port of entry - Nov 12, 2013 Q

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

ü AOJ Interview - Jul 1, 2014

ü Green Cards Received - Jul 14, 2014 +

ü 1st anniversary -  Dec 24, 2014 

ü 2nd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2015 

ü Applied for removal of conditions - Jul 14, 2016 +

ü 3rd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2016 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

To enter Canada - YES, to enter Mexico - NO. There is special provision for 40 or 30 mile zone.

This is not a bad idea. El Paso is only a couple hours away from me, I could bang this out while I get my car serviced there next time. I will probably do this within the next few weeks, and will post my results here.

It looks like Mexico is rapidly becoming my option of choice. I have done a little research, and found that the Lucerna is probably going to be the hotel of choice, I just need to find out how much of a problem it will be to go from the border to the airport, then to the hotel, making sure I do not get robbed or taken advantage of.

You guys are great, and have given me lots of ideas and renewed hope. I actually had one lawyer tell me I am out of luck, and to find a nice American girl - I told her I would have better luck finding bigfoot. I do have much to look into, but everyone has been so helpful. I wish everyone a wonderful 2013! Since the world did not end on the 21st of last month, everything has been looking brighter! :lol:

Rent apartment - much cheaper.

Filed: Timeline

To enter Canada - YES, to enter Mexico - NO. There is special provision for 40 or 30 mile zone.

Rent apartment - much cheaper.

Hello again and regards,

I think, in my opinion, that the Gentleman from San Diego has a proper statement of fact based on his own recent personal experience, and that is very good news for you.

If you find yourself in a circumstance where you wish to travel to Quebec via Northern Vermont, then you also have solid facts.

Although I cannot say for sure what might be your best course of activity, I would expand my communication with the gentleman from San Diego.

I also have, in fact experience on both borders. While staying on Coronado Island for training I traveled to Mexico easily and without delay, and reentered in a similar style. Going through the Great Northern Kingdom of Vermont en Route to Quebec city was also no problem. This was however, not very recently, actually it was quite some time ago, therefore I am clearly unqualified to offer an opinion on the current border situations.

Again, I wish you luck and more,

Regards and sincerely,

Nascar fan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.