JCUSN

Lawyer says to delete Facebook entirely...is that really necessary?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My lawyer said that my wife and I should ENTIRELY delete Facebook. Not just deactivate our accounts or make them super-private, but entirely delete it. It seems our lawyer thinks the government will dig into our Facebook (even though they are deactivated and/or set to private), and use the information in our Facebook against us. We don't have anything incriminating in our Facebooks, however. Neither my wife, nor I, want to delete it entirely and lose all our connection to old friends. Do any of you really see this as necessary? We want to just make our profiles private, or deactivate our Facebook for a temporary period.

Thanks!

If you have nothing incriminating in your Facebook accounts then you have nothing to worry about whether the government just look at the information available publicly, hack into your account or ask you to give them passwords to look into it.

Ask your lawyer if this advice is specific to you. Perhaps he's seen something in your Facebook accounts or past history he thinks will be a problem. Perhaps he's just being super cautious.

I certainly had no issues with my social media accounts when I went through the London embassy but all depends what you have published in the past.

Sounds like you need a "better" lawyer.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Wife's journey.
Day 01 - 07/25/2012 - Mailed AOS package (I-130,I-131, I-485,I-765) via UPS Next Day Air.
Day 02 - 07/26/2012 - Package delivered by UPS.
Day 10 - 08/03/2012 - Got 4 emails confirm AOS package had been received. Checks cashed.
Day 13 - 08/06/2012 - Receipt Numbers are track-able on USCIS website.
Day 18 - 08/11/2012 - Biometrics Notice received (Dated: 8/8, Appointment: 8/29)
Day 20 - 08/13/2012 - Walk-in biometrics done.
Day 24 - 08/17/2012 - Received 4 NOA letters.
Day 27 - 08/20/2012 - 2nd Biometrics Notice received. Same day walk-in biometrics done.
Day 41 - 09/03/2012 - Email and txt notification of interview.
Day 43 - 09/05/2012 - Interview Notice in the mail. This is GREAT!
Day 63 - 09/25/2012 - EAD txt notification. I-765 online status updated.
Day 69 - 10/01/2012 - EAD Mailed.
Day 71 - 10/03/2012 - Interview. I-130 approved. I-485 will be approved after police clearance received. / EAD received. Wrong name. Wrong country of birth.
... waiting for Police Reports from Vietnam and current city's police dept.
11/01/2012 - RFE Police reports sent.
11/06/2012 - I-485 Approved. Card production email received.
11/09/2012 - Email notification. Card picked up by USPS.
11/15/2012 - GC received. Correct name. Still wrong country of birth.

Remove condition:

10/22/2014 - I-751 notice receipt received.

My husband came in on a Tourist Visa from UK, we got married, and neither of us deleted our Facebook accounts, made them private, or anything! I didn't even change my name or relationship status for so long because of the move. I think your lawyer is being paranoid ;) Just my thoughts

AOS:

5/29/2012: Married
6/29/2012: Sent AOS Package (I485, I130, I131, I765)
7/02/2012: *Date Received Shown on NOA for I485, I130, I131, I765
7/13/2012: Text/Email NOA Received
7/16/2012: Hard Copy NOA Received
8/07/2012: Biometrics Appointment
8/27/2012: I131 and I765 (AP and EAD) APPROVED - 59 Days
9/05/2012: EAD Received
9/26/2012: Interview (I485 and I130)
9/26/2012: Conditional Green Card APPROVED - 89 Days
10/8/2012: Green Card Received

ROC:

9/4/2014: Sent ROC Package (I751)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

if you are adjusting status from a VWP visit,

and have stuff in yer facebook account prior to the last jump to the states, talking about a planned wedding,

then yes, you have an evidence trail that might (emphasis on might) prove up yer intent.

having intent and the USCIS being able to prove up intent prior to the last jump date, IMO, can be the kiss of death on this particular type of AOS.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Usually if you are from first world countries you don't have to care about your facebook stuff unless you have been plotting something totally illegal. If you are from a high fraud consulate facebook has led to denials, but so has privite emails.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Intent alone is not a reason to deny, there would have to be other serious negative factors. I think your lawyer is being overly cautious. I certainly never worried about mine or my husband's accounts.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Intent alone is not a reason to deny, there would have to be other serious negative factors. I think your lawyer is being overly cautious. I certainly never worried about mine or my husband's accounts.

Incorrect. ASSUMPTION of intent isn't enough to deny. KNOWLEDGE of intent results in definite denial (and in VWP cases, no appeal)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My lawyer said that my wife and I should ENTIRELY delete Facebook. Not just deactivate our accounts or make them super-private, but entirely delete it. It seems our lawyer thinks the government will dig into our Facebook (even though they are deactivated and/or set to private), and use the information in our Facebook against us. We don't have anything incriminating in our Facebooks, however. Neither my wife, nor I, want to delete it entirely and lose all our connection to old friends. Do any of you really see this as necessary? We want to just make our profiles private, or deactivate our Facebook for a temporary period.

Thanks!

I think there's something you're not telling us. Unless your lawyer is a little nuts.

What's on there that he doesn't want USCIS to see?

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Filed: Timeline

Incorrect. ASSUMPTION of intent isn't enough to deny. KNOWLEDGE of intent results in definite denial (and in VWP cases, no appeal)

Not quite. Have you read the Matter of Cavazos?

(3) Where a finding of preconceived intent was the only negative factor cited by the immigration judge in denying the respondent's application for adjustment of status as the beneficiary of an approved immediate relative visa petition and no additional adverse matters are apparent in the record, and where significant equities are presented...a grant of adjustment of status is warranted as a matter of discretion.

Slightly paranoid lawyer, no? I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you have nothing to hide.

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

Timeline

Not quite. Have you read the Matter of Cavazos?

Yes. A "finding" is assumption. Not knowledge. Did you read the entire case?

From your link:

We note with approval present Immigration and Naturalization Service policy, as reflected in Service Operations Instruction 245.3(b), regarding the discretionary grant or denial of an adjustment application. Operations Instruction 245.3(b) provides that notwithstanding evidence establishing an intent on the part of a nonimmigrant to circumvent the normal visa process, i.e., a preconceived intent to remain permanently at the time of entry as a nonimmigrant, an adjustment application should not be denied in t he exercise of discretion where substantial equities are present in the case.

As I said, knowledge or proof of intent results in denial, without question. But assumption alone is not enough to deny.

Again assumption, such as in the matter of Cavazos, is not enough to deny. knowledge is. If they said to the officer "I came here on a visitor visa to marry and adjust my status", a denial will occur due to immigration fraud. It's no longer "assumption", it's knowledge, which means denial, for sure.

Timeline

They can, and have, used FB to investigate a persons relationship (and used it when denying).

If you have nothing to worry about, then don't delete or anything. If you're worried you may have some post somewhere, at some time, where you discusssed coming here and circumventing immigration laws by entering with intent, then delete...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.