KAL

K-1 denied :(

159 posts in this topic

:thumbs: No one could've said it better. It is very unfortunate that genuinely kind people, such as the OP, end up being on the "victim end" of marriage scams. I really do hope she doesn't hit any of the red flags checklist; Well, she hasn't met his family, so there's one check.

age difference?

religion difference?

kids?

previous marriages?

above poverty line remuneration?

beneficiary friends and/or family live in the US?

ability to communicate in the same language?

Am I missing any other red flag?

To the OP: if any do have any of these red flags, you must then plan how to overcome them for the interview.

Good list, and I would like to add a big red flag I have seen lately:

The petitioner has NEVER travelled outside the US before.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

"The K-1 was denied which I knew would be a possibility since we hadnt met physically. "

Your K-1 was not denied, your petition was denied, and it was denied for this exact reason. The instructions for filing your I-129F clearly state that you MUST have met in person at least once in the past 2 years. It is not a suggestion it is a requirement!

Yes my mistake I meant petition. I knew the requirement but I also knew I could request a hardship waiver.

"I already know some people may say how can you marry someone you never met. "

No judgement, many people meet only once and know they are with the correct person, BUT you have to meet and save proof of the meeting before you file again. (keep your plane ticket stubs, take some photos together)

Im keeping everything I can, plane tickets and type of receipt I get and believe me Im taking several photos with everybody.

I wish you the best. But you need to read read read and get your stuff together before you re-file. Good luck! And combine that strong faith with some correct information.

Thank you and I definitely will.

an1cJZxFg000010ODA4OTgybHw3MzM2MDk0bGF8VGltZSBlbGFwc2VkIHNpbmNlIE5PQTEgOg.gif

Our Visa Journey

November 26, 2011........Sent I-129F

December 1, 2011..........Received NOA1

May 1, 2012....................Received RFE

July 5, 2012................ Petition Denied :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

"Are you fairly close in age or is he much younger?" what do you mean, buddy? I think it is a human right, "free to marry". When a man marries a young woman, it is not a big deal, this is not fair and it expresses pejudice againt women who they have the same right. Moreover, what is close in age for you? 3,4,5 years difference ?

In some countries it IS considered a red flag if a man marries a much younger woman. It depends entirely on what is socially acceptable in the beneficiary's country.

An older woman marrying a much younger man is not common in most MENA countries, and it is viewed by the US consulates there as a red flag. This is especially true if the woman is near or past the end of her child bearing years as many cultures in the Middle East and Africa view marriage as being primarily for the purpose of procreation.

You may not like this, but a country where an older woman and a much younger man can be a particularly difficult problem is Morocco. It's fairly well known by the US consulate in Casablanca that there are many young Moroccan men who hang out in the internet cafes and places where tourists congregate looking for older women to seduce. Their primary goal is a ticket out of Morocco and to a western country. This is a fact that the consulate has to deal with, and anybody whose case fits the pattern will be subjected to additional scrutiny. The same is true in any high fraud country. The consulate looks for factors that are common in fraud cases.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

It wasn't just a possibility, coming from Nigeria, without meeting it was an absolute certainty that you would be denied, without having met. I agree, Nigeria is in the top fraud countries, and you'd better read read read, and prepare everything super well.

Also, and I don't mean to pry, but how can you know for sure you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, without even having MET them in person!

I know this now after being informed by VJ and some of the members. Honestly I cant explain the joy this man had brought into my life and the love I receive from him is like nothing I ever experienced. The connection we have is amazing, I cant imagine having this with anyone else. I know we havent met yet but after being with someone for so long the real person will show up eventually even it they don't want it to. Whether the person gets angry quickly or how they handle situations, all will be revealed in time, you just have to listen, pay attention and watch for any signs.

Our Visa Journey

Filed: Timeline

"Are you fairly close in age or is he much younger?" what do you mean, buddy? I think it is a human right, "free to marry". When a man marries a young woman, it is not a big deal, this is not fair and it expresses pejudice againt women who they have the same right. Moreover, what is close in age for you? 3,4,5 years difference ?

Oh please stop it already.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I like how you respond to the comments that tell you things you want to hear... but how about this one. The best so far.

Please please please, keep us updated on this. We want more info to help understand your situation. Answer this post's questions.

"First off, did you even read the instuctions to the I-129F petition? It clearly states that one of the requirements is that you must have met (physically) at least once within the past 2 years. You should never have filed in the first place. They didn't even look at any evidence you sent them once they saw that you had never met. I can't imagine what kind of proof you sent in for somebody you've never met. Most of us who met our fiancees usually has sme worries about having enough proof, but never meeting?

Nigeria is one of the top fraud countries. I assume you are now aware of this fact and you would still attempt to bring over a person who you have never met? I know you believe all that "God knows best" stuff, but you are setting yourself up big time. You seem to be a perfect mark; somebody who seems to be somewhat naive and blindly accepts whatever happens. If this guy plays you, you will probably be here telling us how it was God's plan.

How did you meet? Who made the first contact?

What kind of work does he do? Have you seen any proof?How did you meet? Who made the first contact?

What kind of work does he do? Have you seen any proof? (I will not give my opinion on what I think he does for a living; yes, it's a generalization, but lets be real)

What is the age difference between you two? Are you fairly close in age or is he much younger? If the latter, that should be a red flag for you.

I already know that nothing anybody here says will change your mind (most people have to learn the hard way), especially since you think God will protect you, but I hope you are not back here in a year teling us how you were used."

Timeline

sorry to hear this. Nothing is by Chance, God does everything for a reason. Alot of th people on VJ think its all the people that work at the consulates desicion, but in the end miracles happen everyday , and VJ has seen this day after day. Keep on going ! and God Bless

AMEN!!! I will and thank you very much

Our Visa Journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi man, what if they have met in person and eventually meet the requirements of the USCIS, do such flags still be raised especailly age difference?

First off, I'm a woman.

Second, it ABSOLUTELY does, unfortunately. The vast majority of scam victims from MENA countries (Middle East/ North Africa) are older females. Older than the beneficiary that is. Furthermore, if the lady is outside child bearing age, that makes is an even bigger red flag as it is not the norm in their home country to engage in this kind of relationship. I am older than my husband 6 years and we were approved. So, is not impossible.

I hope you understand this is not about discrimination against the woman. This is about protecting the USC from a possible fraud.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Timeline

Good list, and I would like to add a big red flag I have seen lately:

The petitioner has NEVER travelled outside the US before.

OH YES! I forgot that one. Suddenly, the petitioner has the urge to visit a particular country and so happens to be the one the beneficiary currently resides in. Big red flag.

Timeline

Please note that Nigeria is the number 1 scam country. It is very easy for a man to sweetalk someone online. It is easy to profess love, and say nice things, like you are my queen, I am ready to marry you, I can't live without you, etc. Please don't become another victim of an immigration scam. The fact that you were willing to petition for someone you have never met indicates that you may be gullible, no offense. I hope your belief in God and the fact that you were denied will help you be more cautious, and take it as a sign from god that you need to be careful, and not rush things with someone you have never met, especially from a country known for defrauding good intentioned americans.

Nigeria is the #1 most fraudulent country in the world in more ways that just immigration. It is so unfortunate. Americans aren't the only victims; I know a german and, bless her heart, she's suffering the consecuences. Not to mention, there's a rise in dometic violence victims in the hands of some of these shenanigans.

I have to say, this blind faith in God worries me. It sounds too.... romantic.

Timeline

No my pastor did not give me instructions, only felt that I shouldn't go over first because the bible says A man who finds a wife finds a good thing and recieves favor from the Lord. I was only being obedient. My fiance and I respect men and women of God. I beg to differ praying will get me approved whether you believe it or not. God gives us delays sometimes because at the time we want something it may not be time to receive it, He knows best, but does that mean I should stop praying and having faith when I do not get what I want when I want it. It doesn't work like that. God is an awesome God and He holds all the power and NOTHING is impossible with God. All the proof was there just not the face to face time, but like I said God knows best. Thank you we will be together soon by the grace of God.

Never did I say you should stop praying. What I did say, and I will repeat unapologetically is, you MUST take action and obey the rules to be approved. Your petition was denied because you prayed hoping one of the rules would be void or null on your case. It wasn't.

Literally preaching to the choir about God won't help you. Virtually every single response here has been practical and very helpful. No one has tackled, or attacked, your Faith. So, can you put God aside for a moment and see this under the eyes of the law. If you can't do that, then my honest advice is for you to reconsider the whole process.

Here's the question: are you willing to move to Nigeria- or a third country for that matter- to be with him, if he's denied?

It's not by chance. It's by preparation and perseverence. God has nothing to do with it.

:thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.