calenwen

Spouse Enters on Visitor's Visa, Applies for Green Card

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys,

So our story in brief: met my (British) husband in Wales three years ago, married in Wales a year later. We've been married two years now, and have spent that time in Europe and the last year in China teaching English. We've just returned to the States - him on a three month visitor's visa/tourist visa. Will we have any problems applying for the green card? Have just started looking into this and trying to wrap my mind around it all in a single evening is quite baffling!

I've read that it's considered fraud for the potential immigrant to enter on a tourist visa, marry, and then apply for a green card. But what about if we're already married? Would they really turn down our application simply because of the terms he entered under? (We've only been here a week, so we have nearly three months before he overstays.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've read that it's considered fraud for the potential immigrant to enter on a tourist visa, marry, and then apply for a green card.

This is true. Entering as a tourist with the intention of immigrating is illegal and considered fraud. Considering that you are already married, you can start the process but it will not be completed by the time the 3 month tourist visa expires for your spouse to able then adjust status once approved. I would never suggest overstaying the tourist visa, period. My feeling is that you could start the process, your spouse leaves before the visa expires and finish the process accordingly, perhaps spending a few months part unless you are able to accompany your spouse while you wait it out.

Somebody else with more experience with this particular scenario may have better advice to offer.

Best of luck!!!

01-16-2008 Met in Argentina, started dating

07-03-2008 Moved in together

03-01-2011 Married;)

04-21-2011 Sent I-130

04-26-2011 Delivered 1:35p

04-28-2011 NOA1 E-mail, off to CSC

05-02-2011 NOA1 Hard copy, Priority date 4-28-2001

07-14-2011 NOA2 E-mail

I-130 Approved in 11 weeks!!!:)

***A break from paperwork, not quite ready to move to US, together in Buenos Aires and loving married life:))))

NVC JOURNEY

08-01-2011 Case recieved by NVC

04-19-2012 Paid IV and AOS fees online, PROCESSING

04-23-2012 AOS and IV status PAID

07-12-2012 Sent IV packet from Argentina FINALLY:))

07-18-2012 Sent my AOS packet to joint sponsor in US to attach her I-184

07-23-2012 IV Packet arrives at NVC!!!

07-31-2012 Called NVC and received e-mail, IV processed:))

08-07-2012 AOS overnighted via FED EX

08-08-2012 NVC receives AOS

08-14-2012 CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!

Patience, Acceptance, Surrender...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

What questions did the CBP officer ask your husband when coming into the US? It probably doesn't matter but but the key is whatever he said then needs to be followed or that is considered fraud. If he told CBP when arriving he was immigrating and they let him in on his visitor/tourist visa then you actually may have a leg to stand on to keep him here, but that is almost like a dream situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys,

So our story in brief: met my (British) husband in Wales three years ago, married in Wales a year later. We've been married two years now, and have spent that time in Europe and the last year in China teaching English. We've just returned to the States - him on a three month visitor's visa/tourist visa. Will we have any problems applying for the green card? Have just started looking into this and trying to wrap my mind around it all in a single evening is quite baffling!

I've read that it's considered fraud for the potential immigrant to enter on a tourist visa, marry, and then apply for a green card. But what about if we're already married? Would they really turn down our application simply because of the terms he entered under? (We've only been here a week, so we have nearly three months before he overstays.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

It all comes down to intention. If he was planning on staying when he entered on a tourist visa, then yes, he committed fraud during the application process. He stated he was entering merely to visit essentially when he actually intended to immigrate. This is lying and is intentional. It could also change the decision of the visa granting authority. Had they known that your husband had the intention of immigrating, they would have declined the tourist visa and suggested that he go the immigration route to enter the US.

If it was his intention to enter merely to visit and then return to his origin, and then after he entered he decided he wanted to stay, then you can petition and adjust his status and it would not be considered fraud because he had the original intention to visit, but then changed his mind while in the US.

So it all comes down to intention at the time of entry and during the tourist visa application.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

Hey guys, thanks for your quick responses! Really appreciate it!

It all comes down to intention. If he was planning on staying when he entered on a tourist visa, then yes, he committed fraud during the application process. He stated he was entering merely to visit essentially when he actually intended to immigrate. This is lying and is intentional. It could also change the decision of the visa granting authority. Had they known that your husband had the intention of immigrating, they would have declined the tourist visa and suggested that he go the immigration route to enter the US.

If it was his intention to enter merely to visit and then return to his origin, and then after he entered he decided he wanted to stay, then you can petition and adjust his status and it would not be considered fraud because he had the original intention to visit, but then changed his mind while in the US.

So it all comes down to intention at the time of entry and during the tourist visa application.

So you said it all comes down to intention - which is completely arbitrary, right? I mean, how would they ever prove otherwise if we said it wasn't originally his intention to immigrate and then he decided he wanted to stay while here and we decided to go for it...?

Neither side has proof, so do they have to believe us?

Does anyone know of any experiences of this sort? What has happened?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from CR-1 spousal visa to AOS from Tourist visa as that is what the OP is considering ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

This is true. Entering as a tourist with the intention of immigrating is illegal and considered fraud. Considering that you are already married, you can start the process but it will not be completed by the time the 3 month tourist visa expires for your spouse to able then adjust status once approved. I would never suggest overstaying the tourist visa, period. My feeling is that you could start the process, your spouse leaves before the visa expires and finish the process accordingly, perhaps spending a few months part unless you are able to accompany your spouse while you wait it out.

Somebody else with more experience with this particular scenario may have better advice to offer.

Best of luck!!!

Omg, I can't bear a separation. We have done crazy things to avoid this, and I wouldn't let it happen now.

There is a section on the I-130 where you mark how your relative (the applicant) arrived in the US, one of the options is visitor, and then the date it will expire....? Ack. In the UK, there is a law that prevents the separation of spouses if you are legally married and living in the country, even if you have overstayed and screwed up on visas, etc. Do you know if we have something like that in the States?

Timeline

Hey guys, thanks for your quick responses! Really appreciate it!

So you said it all comes down to intention - which is completely arbitrary, right? I mean, how would they ever prove otherwise if we said it wasn't originally his intention to immigrate and then he decided he wanted to stay while here and we decided to go for it...?

Neither side has proof, so do they have to believe us?

Does anyone know of any experiences of this sort? What has happened?

It is not arbitrary. Maybe you meant that it would be difficult to prove intention.

If your husband did not have a return ticket or if he had all of his property in the US and no ties to other countries and decided to stay, they could claim that it was his intention all along to stay. You would come back and state that it was not his intention to stay and show proof on your end of ties to another nation (rental agreement, vehicle registration, etc.) and in the end it's up to the adjudicator to decide whether or not to believe you.

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

It is not arbitrary. Maybe you meant that it would be difficult to prove intention.

If your husband did not have a return ticket or if he had all of his property in the US and no ties to other countries and decided to stay, they could claim that it was his intention all along to stay. You would come back and state that it was not his intention to stay and show proof on your end of ties to another nation (rental agreement, vehicle registration, etc.) and in the end it's up to the adjudicator to decide whether or not to believe you.

With all due respect the USCIS doesn't need to prove anything, the burden of proof is on the applicant-- but this is moot for this situation, since there is nothing to prove, except for a bona-fide marriage-- no different than most other AOS applicants.

Background Information

-Dec 2006: Arrived with an F1 visa

-Dec 2007: Met USC.

-Dec 2009: Got Engaged.

-Jan 2010: Fell out of Status.

-Oct 2010: Married USC.

-Feb 2012: Filed I-130/AOS

I-130/AOS Timeline

Day 0: 02/25/12: Mailed concurrent I-130/AOS Package to the Chicago Lockbox

Day 2: 02/27/12: Package arrived at the Chicago Lockbox.

Day 5: 03/01/12: Email acceptance confirmation received for Forms: I-130, I-485 & I-765.

Day 13: 03/09/12: NOA1s received for Forms: I-130, I-485 & I-765. Biometrics letter also received and scheduled for March 27th.

Day 24: 03/20/12: Email notification for RFE.

Day 27: 03/23/12: Hardcopy RFE received in the mail.

Day 31: 03/27/12: Biometrics completed.

Day 40: 04/05/12: Mailed off the RFE.

Day 44: 04/09/12: RFE Delivered.

Day 46: 04/11/12: USCIS received RFE and case updated online.

Day 55: 04/20/12: EAD approved!

Day 60: 04/25/12: Received 2nd "EAD in Production" Email.

Day 61: 04/26/12: EAD Mailed.

Day 63: 04/28/12: EAD in hand!

Day 74: 05/09/12: Interview date scheduled for June 12th.

Day 75: 05/10/12: Interview letter in hand.

Day 108: 06/12/12: Interview.

Day 110: 06/14/12: Received I-485 & I-130 approval emails.

Day 114: 06/18/12: Received I-130 & I-485 Approval hardcopies.

Day 115: 06/19/12: Received GC in production email.

Day 116: 06/20/12: Received "GC mailed" & "USPS picked up your GC" emails.

Day 118: 06/22/12: GC arrived in the mail

March 16th 2014: Eligible to file ROC.

March 16th 2015: Eligible to file for naturalization.

Timeline

With all due respect the USCIS doesn't need to prove anything, the burden of proof is on the applicant-- but this is moot for this situation, since there is nothing to prove, except for a bona-fide marriage-- no different than most other AOS applicants.

With all due respect, I didn't say USCIS needed to prove anything.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

He entered as a tourist/visitor. That is non-immigrant admission to the US. If his true plan was to remain in the US and apply for permanent residence, then he misrepresented his intention. Misrepresented is a nicer way to say he lied. Lying to an immigration official can have dire consequences.

Typically there are no repercussions in circumstances similar to yours. Anyone telling you that there is no possible problem is not being truthful. But always remember that it is your lives that will be impacted by your decisions, not the advice giver(s). Gather all the information and make an informed decision.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Omg, I can't bear a separation. We have done crazy things to avoid this, and I wouldn't let it happen now.

There is a section on the I-130 where you mark how your relative (the applicant) arrived in the US, one of the options is visitor, and then the date it will expire....? Ack. In the UK, there is a law that prevents the separation of spouses if you are legally married and living in the country, even if you have overstayed and screwed up on visas, etc. Do you know if we have something like that in the States?

Are you sure your husband has a visitors visa, rather than coming here on the VWP?

The reason I ask is because I remember that there was a rule that you could not appeal a denial if you were here on VWP. I don't know if that still exists, but it's something I'd check into if I were you. I don't know if he is on VWP, since you said visitors visa. But I wonder why he would get a visa for 90 days, unless he was previously denied entry to the US? You should also try and think about what he was asked by CBP when he arrived, and what he said. That can be important.

Good luck.

A separation is not the end of the world, sometimes it's necessary to do what's best for your long term future. And with immigration...making sure you can stay together long term is far more important than being together in the short term. However, it seems like AOS from VWP or tourist visas are often approved and I wish you all the best. :)

Helen

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Anh map is right. Most of the time people in his situation adjusted their status without problem. Just keep in mind he/she can get a tough adjudicator and he can consider misrepresentation. Good luck.

Edited by sandranj

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.