Mariam&Smith

Conditional GC holder and unexpected changes

43 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I have a question about a mess my brother's family is having. I am summarizing it short:

- My brother was a PhD student in NY, he met my sis-in-law 3 years ago. Then they got married 1.5 years ago, he has had a green card like 1 year ago. Everything was peaceful, until my sis-in-law had a miscarriage, her behavior has changed since then. They always agrue for no reason, and call each other names. My brother and my sis-in-law always try to fix the relationship (psychiatrist, counselor...) but it is getting worse I believe. 6 months ago, he went back to Paris for like 3 months and he met one of my friends. They love each other and my friend said she didn't want to immigrate by any means. They ended up having a small wedding over there (I didn't know until last week) but it was a ceremony no registration or something like that. He felt guilty and he confessed it to me last week.

He didn't mean to break my sis-in-law heart or anything, and he said my friend and he would be willing to break up if my sis-in-law tries to ment the distance between them right now. My sis-in-law is preparing his removal of condition paper and she is willing to do that, luckily she is not a mean people, who uses immigration benefit to threaten. They just argue on daily things, baby and stuffs.

I know what my brother did was wrong, but it did happen already so I beg you all for answer based on the fact about immigration not affair, cheating...

1. Did my brother violate anything? And is it gonna affect his status?

2. If my friend got pregnant, can she just register my brother as the father on birth certificate? Can he claim the baby later on when they decide to move on (with my sis-in-law divorce if it has to be)?

I am thankful to my sis-in-law for being such a great person, it just changed after the misfortune happened. I greatly appreciate all the inputs.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

are you kidding? did he violate anything? He is married to 2 women at the same time. One in the US the other in France. He never divorced his wife in the US, and married another woman. Doesn't matter if it is registered or not, a marriage is a marriage. His case isn't something people in VJ can solve, he needs and experienced attorney. Once again another case that makes it difficult for the rest of us trying to get our significant others here legally.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Having prior experience as the first wife of a spineless fool that thought serial marriage was ok and didn't hurt anyone I can tell you it is NOT ok to be in a marriage fake or otherwise while still married to someone else. That being said and off my chest. Your brothers actions should catch up with him if he ever petitions to seocnd wife and they uncover the bigimous relationship. Not only will her petition be denied but he could be stripped of all immigration benefits he has gotten. There is a question on ROC about committing any crime in the US or abroad, bigimy is a crime so must be reported. When the real wife finds out, she could use the relationship as evidence that the one he is using as grounds for removal of conditions is not in good faith and is only to gain immigration benefit at this point. If he loves the fake wife he should seek a divorce and remove conditions on his own. If he loves the real wife he should NEVER contact the fake wife other than a dear john letter.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well he didn't have a civil wedding in France, all marriages performed in FRANCE to be valid in USA must be performed by a French civil authority (a city councilor or mayor).Are you sure he had just a ceremony?. He screw up for sure, now he has to fix it.He must divorce your sister in law and file for the I-751 waiver, and if he wants to be with this girl from France he must have a civil wedding there AFTER his divorce in USA, but the girl from France won't be able to live in the USA with him for at least three years , because he is just a green card holder.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ohhh yes!

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yes all they did was a reception (party with a few friends), no French government involved or anything. And that friend of mine didn't ask for any immigration (even if she asked, obviously he can't do anything.) My brother is well aware of the situation, he is not gonna to do anything until everything is settled down in the US. He said he would confess anything to my sis-in-law. I just ask for his situation, if my friend has a baby with him, and she will clearly put my brother's name down on the birth certificate, will he be able to claim the baby later? Assuming the baby birthday is when he is still married to my sis-in-law. Please understand, they didn't file anything with authority over there. The baby could be a result of an affair not a bigamy marriage, and she/he is innocent, adults commited mistakes not the baby. I know what he did is bad, but I believe deep down he didn't want to do that. If you all have something like this, you would understand and feel sorry for him.

And my sis-in-law told me last time, even if their relationship would end, she would wait until my brother finishes his immigration thing (THIS is why I told you how grateful I am to my sis-in-law, she is not mean or vicious...) And if my brother would file anything for my friend, it would be way later everything here is finished (4 5 years or longer if it should be) Until then, you think everything is gonna be fine. Let look at his relationship there was an affair. Please share your feeling.

Timeline

And my sis-in-law told me last time, even if their relationship would end, she would wait until my brother finishes his immigration thing (THIS is why I told you how grateful I am to my sis-in-law, she is not mean or vicious...) And if my brother would file anything for my friend, it would be way later everything here is finished (4 5 years or longer if it should be) Until then, you think everything is gonna be fine. Let look at his relationship there was an affair. Please share your feeling.

fraud fraud fraud fraud....you are asking people to advise you about blatant fraud...the only person I feel sorry for is his american wife who last a baby and is grieving, and he says it's her fault for having mood swings. Let me see...he went to France and married another woman while still married to her after she just lost her child.. And he expects life with his US wife to be all lollipops and rainbows? are you for real? headbonk.gif

why would we possibly feel sorry for him? seriously???? He married another woman..while married to an american citizen and all he is worried about is his green card. This is fraud...and I hope he gets caught...just sayin' headbonk.gif

He won't say anything about green card, if you read carefully. They have 2 properties, one business in Ohio together so it is not fraud or anything. Sentiment does happen if you are a listener. He just expressed, if way later then, will he be able to claim the baby when his/her birthday is when he is till in a marriage here. Please understand it is an affair in my point of view.

Timeline

He won't say anything about green card, if you read carefully. They have 2 properties, one business in Ohio together so it is not fraud or anything. Sentiment does happen if you are a listener. He just expressed, if way later then, will he be able to claim the baby when his/her birthday is when he is till in a marriage here. Please understand it is an affair in my point of view.

where don't you understand that this is fraud? he expects his US wife to adjust status for him...and now you;re talking about potential babies with his french wife? i give up...but i truly hope he gets caught. He should be a man and do the RIGHT thing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.