27 posts in this topic

I'm an F-1 student, my husband and got married on November 11, 2011. I am here legally, we don't have any criminal records and so on. We are almost ready to send our forms to USCIS. But we can't decide if we should go with a lawyer or not.

Have you had any experience with lawyer? Has the process been faster?

3/23/2012 (Day 0) - I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent
4/02/2012 (Day 11) - Hard Copy of NOA1 in the mail of I-130, I-485 and I-765
4/04/2012 (Day 13) - Received a letter for biometrics appointment for 4/20/2012.
4/20/2012 (Day 29) - Biometrics done
5/03/2012 (Day 42) - Status online changed to interview, scheduled for June 11
5/16/2012 (Day 55) - EAD Card Production, online status update
5/24/2012 (Day 63) - EAD Card in the mail
6/11/2012 (Day 83) - Interview, approved on the spot

05/19/2014 (Day 0) - Mailed I-751

05/27/2014 (Day 8) - Received NOA1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

A lawyer does not make the process go any faster, they have no influence over USCIS. If your case is pretty simple as it seems to be for what your saying I would advice you to save your money and do it yourself. Good luck!

Edit: Also VJ has A LOT of very helpful information, not to mention all the helpful people here in case you have any doubts. No need to pay anyone else! :)

Edited by paojack

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Lawyers can actually slow up your case. They check, double check, and then check again (when you know yourself that the info on the forms is correct)

So unless you have a particularly difficult case, no need to have a lawyer, it is certainly not faster

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Your case looks pretty simple and straight forward. You're still here legally and doing AOS so I think there's nothing to worry about to send the paper works without lawyer but if you feel comfortable with lawyer it's really up to you. But as long as you follow all the guide lines to fill out paper work and didn't miss anything. I say go for it!

Doing good deeds shall bring happiness

09/05/2005 - Entered US with J-1

04/16/2006 - Met my husband

04/11/2007 - AOS from J-1 to B-2

07/10/2007 - Out of Status

08/26/2011 - Husband became USC through naturalization

10/12/2011 - We got married!

12/03/2011 - Sent AOS package(I-130, I-485, I-765) to Chicago Lockbox

12/05/2011 - Delivery confirmation via USPS

12/16/2011 - Received emails for I-130, I-485

12/22/2011 - Received NOA in mail for I-130, I-485 dated 12/16/2011

12/23/2011 - Received rejected I-765 due to missing signature

12/24/2011 - Received biometrics appointment on 01/09/2012 dated 12/20/2011

12/27/2011 - Reapplied I-765

12/29/2011 - I-765 has been delivered by USPS confirmation

01/04/2012 - Walk-in biometrics done

01/11/2012 - Received NOA in mail for I-765 dated 12/30/2011

02/01/2012 - Received text/email for I-765, Card/Document Production

02/06/2012 - Received EAD card in mail. YAY!

02/07/2012 - Received text/email for interview date, 03/15/2012

02/08/2012 - Received interview letter in mail

03/15/2012 - Interview at San Antonio, approved on spot and got a stamp!

03/23/2012 - Green card in hand! :^D

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You can file you own papaers and probably get everything a lot faster than a lawyer would. Just type all the forms and put all the documents they ask you for in order. Make your paper work as neat as possible with everything in order, and you should be fine.

Do I need to send supporting documents with my I-485 and I-130?

3/23/2012 (Day 0) - I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent
4/02/2012 (Day 11) - Hard Copy of NOA1 in the mail of I-130, I-485 and I-765
4/04/2012 (Day 13) - Received a letter for biometrics appointment for 4/20/2012.
4/20/2012 (Day 29) - Biometrics done
5/03/2012 (Day 42) - Status online changed to interview, scheduled for June 11
5/16/2012 (Day 55) - EAD Card Production, online status update
5/24/2012 (Day 63) - EAD Card in the mail
6/11/2012 (Day 83) - Interview, approved on the spot

05/19/2014 (Day 0) - Mailed I-751

05/27/2014 (Day 8) - Received NOA1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Send in all the documents they ask you for. They should have a list on back of the form telling you what documents to send in.

If additional information is needed they will email you asking for it.

Yes, there are a lot of forms and a lot of extra documents needed. it is all outlined in the instructions, an also in the VJ guide in the "guide" section up top.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

yes. if it seems excessive, or 'double the work', remember -

these are two seperate thingies, so two sets of all.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

In any legal proceeding, unless you are aware of all governing statutes, codes of regulation and fully familiar with their application,

you should hire an attorney to represent you.

The true purpose of a lawyer is not what silly fantasy of ignorance has made of it. Namely, it is not a job of attorney to make guilty person

innocent or to help otherwise unqualified individual get the benefit one is not entitled to. In fact, under the governing the practice of law

code of ethics such lawyer can be punished and even deprived of a license to practice the law.

True purpose of a lawyer is to make sure that entire proceeding is fair and goes according to the letter of law while advising his or her client

to take the legal steps based on existing statutes and practical application of the same.

If you do not want to hire an attorney and would like to file all paperwork by yourself, of course you can file on your own.

Equally, if you decide to hire an attorney make sure to interview them as you would any employee and do not commit to any contract

or any payment unless you are absolutely sure that the person you are dealing with is professional, ethical and has your best interests in his

or her mind. Lawyers, just like people from all other walks of life, have wide variety of personalities and individuals mixed in their group and ,as society in general deteriorates, ethically and professionally, so do individuals in all walks of life.

So, surely there are bad lawyers who can take advantage of and ruin your case. But there are also those who will do a great job

and save you lots of headaches by making sure everything is done correct from the beginning and the entire application is filed under the rule of law.

Make your own judgement and remember - it is your future at stakes not thAt of anyone who makes you any suggestions, here or elsewhere.

Good luck.

Edited by aosapplicant

If you are considering not using a lawyer, you're going to have to do a lot of research yourself as far as what's required. I recommend you start by reading the guides here on VJ.

If you're confused about anything, or don't want to put the work into it, and you have the money, then let someone else do it. If you're going to do it yourself you need to commit to a little hard work.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'm an F-1 student, my husband and got married on November 11, 2011. I am here legally, we don't have any criminal records and so on. We are almost ready to send our forms to USCIS. But we can't decide if we should go with a lawyer or not.

Have you had any experience with lawyer? Has the process been faster?

I agree with others who have said that a lawyer is not necessary if the case is fairly straightforward and you are willing to put the work into it yourself. We hired a lawyer and his primary contribution was to tell us that we forgot to fill in our mothers' maiden names (very unlikely that the USCIS would have done anything other than send an RFE if they cared enough to know about that). At 2,000 dollars, it somehow didn't feel like we got much out of our money's worth. Our primary reason we even got a lawyer was because my fiance is currently not in the US. So I would skip the lawyer, dig in and do the work and spend your 20000 dollars on just about anything else more fun than legal fees. That said, it's your call, you know your situation best and what time restrictions you have that allow you to commit to going through this process on your own. Those are my $0.02

jin5xmldq.png

09/23/2010- Met online

12/23/2010- Met in person in Kenya

02/01/2011- Visited him in China

02/14/2011- He proposed while I was in China

07/09/2011- Moved to China to be with him

12/19/2011- Went to US to meet his family

01/08/2012- Went back to China with him

02/29/2012- Went back to Kenya to await fiancee visa :-(

02/07/2012: I-129F Sent

02/10/2012: USCIS received I-129F

02/10/2012: NOA1 date

02/15/2012: Touched

02/22/2012: NOA1 received in mail

05/05/2012: Broke up :(

Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between July 6, 2012 and July 9, 2012*.

"Where there is faith

There is a voice calling, keep walking

You’re not alone in this world

Where there is faith

There is a peace like a child sleeping

Hope everlasting in He who is able...

It is a wonderful, powerful place

Where there is faith" 4Him

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In any legal proceeding, unless you are aware of all governing statutes, codes of regulation and fully familiar with their application,

you should hire an attorney to represent you.

The true purpose of a lawyer is not what silly fantasy of ignorance has made of it. Namely, it is not a job of attorney to make guilty person

innocent or to help otherwise unqualified individual get the benefit one is not entitled to. In fact, under the governing the practice of law

code of ethics such lawyer can be punished and even deprived of a license to practice the law.

True purpose of a lawyer is to make sure that entire proceeding is fair and goes according to the letter of law while advising his or her client

to take the legal steps based on existing statutes and practical application of the same.

If you do not want to hire an attorney and would like to file all paperwork by yourself, of course you can file on your own.

Equally, if you decide to hire an attorney make sure to interview them as you would any employee and do not commit to any contract

or any payment unless you are absolutely sure that the person you are dealing with is professional, ethical and has your best interests in his

or her mind. Lawyers, just like people from all other walks of life, have wide variety of personalities and individuals mixed in their group and ,as society in general deteriorates, ethically and professionally, so do individuals in all walks of life.

So, surely there are bad lawyers who can take advantage of and ruin your case. But there are also those who will do a great job

and save you lots of headaches by making sure everything is done correct from the beginning and the entire application is filed under the rule of law.

Make your own judgement and remember - it is your future at stakes not thAt of anyone who makes you any suggestions, here or elsewhere.

Good luck.

This sounds like an advertisement by the AILA. :whistle:

Seriously, immigration is largely a bureaucratic rather than a legal process. There are no courts or judges involved, no rules of procedure, etc. Yes, there are a lot of laws that determine if someone is eligible for an immigration benefit. There are also a lot of laws that determine if someone is eligible for unemployment compensation or Social Security retirement benefits, but nobody recommends people hire an attorney to apply for those benefits. USCIS is no different. It's a government agency that grants benefits to people who are eligible. If you can read and follow instructions then you can handle most immigration applications and petitions yourself.

Even if you hire an attorney, if you have a routine case then the attorney isn't going to handle it personally. They're going to hand it off to a paralegal or even a legal secretary. A lawyer isn't going to waste their time filling out forms for you when they can get an admin to do that work.

It's different if you end up in immigration court or in front of the BIA. In that case you're going to need to be able to argue the law, and you're probably going to need an experienced lawyer to do this for you.

I wholeheartedly agree with your advice on HOW to hire an attorney, but I'd go even farther. Anyone can tell if an attorney appears to be professional, but knowing if they are ethical and have your best interests in mind requires that YOU understand immigration law almost as well as they do. You can't possibly know if an attorney is recommending something unethical if you don't first know what is or isn't ethical. You also won't know if they're making any procedural mistakes unless you know what the correct procedures are. In other words, whether you hire an attorney or not, your best chances of success are if you educate yourself. Many people hire an attorney precisely because they can't or won't school themselves, and they'd prefer to pay someone who already knows what to do. Many people who take the time to school themselves come to realize they don't need an attorney.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Me and my husband got married 06th January 2012 and we prepared all the documents by ourself.

I think that you guys can do it.

we had just a consultation with a lawyer.. :)

Love the Life you Live! Live the Life you Love:)))

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I used an attorney for the first time. SCREWED EVERYTHING UP! Guy seriously was sloppy in filling out the forms, and filled them out with erroneous information and I had to withdraw my application, and start over by myself. Now given, my situation was NOT complicated, I know I didn't need a lawyer. I wish I had never hired one. COuld have saved myself $1,100 and a HUGE headache. Seriously, VJ is a very good source of information for non-complicated problems and when a situation is complicated, you will see the VJers say "you should probably get an attorney for this." Skip the lawyer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.