JeffPerren

Marriage Certificate Required with I-485?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The guidelines on this excellent site say that the marriage certificate should be included with the package for the I-485 (Adjustment of Status). My Colombian fiancee entered the country Jan 12, 2012 and our wedding date is set for Mar 22, 2012, about three weeks before her I-94/K-1 (90 days) expires. I'm concerned about waiting so close to the end date. Does anyone know whether it is really mandatory to include the marriage certificate? (I don't see it mentioned in the instructions for the I-485.) If so, can it be sent later, after the initial package? (Yes, I'm aware this can delay or confuse things; life is always a balancing of risks.)

[Note: My apologies if this question has been asked before. A Google search from within the site didn't return any results that appeared to address is. There was one similar question from a K-3 visa holder but that's already included with an I-130 and they already had the certificate.]

By the way, we DO have the marriage license - unsigned, of course, since there's been no legal ceremony yet nor filing with the court clerk.

Thanks in advance to anyone with helpful guidance on this question.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

the marriage license doesn't mean you're married, just means you both are legal to be married, and for AOS, you have to already be married and a marriage certificate is the proof that you're already married legally

most likely you'll get a RFE, & ur AOS process might just be prolonged a bit, but w/e ur SO is in the USA already

but to be on the safe side, my advice is that you should just go to the court clerk & pay the $40 or w/e for them to marry you legally

then do your big ceremonial wedding in front of your family & friends

Every minute felt like an eternity time, clearly as if it had malicious intent, slowly ebbing away from me. I clenched my teeth, and keeping myself from crying was the only thing I could do…

-5cm/s

Timeline

the marriage license doesn't mean you're married, just means you both are legal to be married, and for AOS, you have to already be married and a marriage certificate is the proof that you're already married legally

most likely you'll get a RFE, & ur AOS process might just be prolonged a bit, but w/e ur SO is in the USA already

but to be on the safe side, my advice is that you should just go to the court clerk & pay the $40 or w/e for them to marry you legally

then do your big ceremonial wedding in front of your family & friends

Thank you for the rapid reply.

Yes, I understand the marriage license does not indicate that we are married. I mentioned it only on the off chance that maybe it would be a semi-useful substitute or some such thing. I'm not sure what "w/e ur SO" means but I think I got the gist. We've already scheduled with the court to be married on Mar 22 (the only day that worked, for a variety of reasons that don't need to be discussed here) and plan to have a second ceremony this summer for the family.

Thank you again for the helpful reply.

P.S. From what I've read it's not necessary to be already married to file the I-485. I could be wrong but I believe I read that from one of the guidelines or FAQs on this site.

Edited by JeffPerren

You're serious? You'd just be giving ammo to USCIS to take your money, see there is a relationship requirement missing aka marriage certificate and deny you. And no, marriage license does not satisfy the relationship requirement - marriage certificate does.

So, once you get married, ask the judge or whoever marries you for you to WALK the certificate to the court clerk and get it registered then and there. Also get several copies of the certificate - you will need it.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You have to be legally married for AOS. There is no category that adjusts fiancée. They need proof. Get all you need before you begin the process because they will shelf your petition until they have all required documents.

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Yep, the marriage certificate is the primary proof of being eligible to adjust status when entering US on a K1. Without it, there's simply no adjusting status.

As long as you're married within the 90 days USCIS doesn't care if it was the first of last week.

The marriage license doesn't prove anything in this case, and is not what USCIS is asking for.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

P.S. From what I've read it's not necessary to be already married to file the I-485. I could be wrong but I believe I read that from one of the guidelines or FAQs on this site.

If you think this is true then you have missed huge swaths of the instructions. Here, I found it on the very first page of the form itself!

See Part 2 of the I-485. "Application Type (check one)"

28r0ays.png

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thank you for the rapid reply.

Yes, I understand the marriage license does not indicate that we are married. I mentioned it only on the off chance that maybe it would be a semi-useful substitute or some such thing. I'm not sure what "w/e ur SO" means but I think I got the gist. We've already scheduled with the court to be married on Mar 22 (the only day that worked, for a variety of reasons that don't need to be discussed here) and plan to have a second ceremony this summer for the family.

Thank you again for the helpful reply.

As the others have mentioned, you must be married to file AOS. That is the whole purpose of this step--your fiance(e) arrives in the US and you get married within the 90 time frame. After that you file for AOS. You do not have to file before the I-94 expires--there are some minor conquenses should you have a run in with CBP, but those are rare unless you live near the southern boarder. For us we got married at the courthouse at 4:30 pm and I walked the marriage certificate signed by the judge and the witnesses to the Clerk and Recorder's office on the second floor. I requested 6 certified copies which she made and signed. The original was kept to be recorded and was mailed back to me in about 4 days. I still have the original. I took it to the interview for AOS along with another certified copy. The IO looked at the original and kept another copy of our marriage certificate. We filled for AOS about 1.5 months after the wife's I-94 expired even though we got married within 2 weeks of her arrival.

Relax. Get married. Get the marriage certificate and then file for AOS. I would get the fiance's SSN before the I-94 is within 2 week of expiring. That is one of those things that most forget to do unitl it is too late and then you have to wait for the GC or EAD card before being able to get the SSN.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The guidelines on this excellent site say that the marriage certificate should be included with the package for the I-485 (Adjustment of Status). My Colombian fiancee entered the country Jan 12, 2012 and our wedding date is set for Mar 22, 2012, about three weeks before her I-94/K-1 (90 days) expires. I'm concerned about waiting so close to the end date. Does anyone know whether it is really mandatory to include the marriage certificate? (I don't see it mentioned in the instructions for the I-485.) If so, can it be sent later, after the initial package? (Yes, I'm aware this can delay or confuse things; life is always a balancing of risks.)

[Note: My apologies if this question has been asked before. A Google search from within the site didn't return any results that appeared to address is. There was one similar question from a K-3 visa holder but that's already included with an I-130 and they already had the certificate.]

By the way, we DO have the marriage license - unsigned, of course, since there's been no legal ceremony yet nor filing with the court clerk.

Thanks in advance to anyone with helpful guidance on this question.

There is no requirement to file AOS within those 90 days, only to get married. You will get married before the I-94 expires, so there is no problem to wait until you have the certified marriage certificate from the court. Keep the original from the court and send a copy with your I-485. It is definitely needed.

Also, it does state it is required in the I-485 instructions, Page 4 - #12 - Evidence of eligibility -

B. Based on admission as the K-1 fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen and subsequent marriage to that citizen

Attach a copy of the fiancé(e) petition approval notice, a copy of your marriage certificate, and your Form 1-94, Arrival/Departure Document.

One more thing, the instructions also tell you that your spouse is eligible to file for AOS based on a K-1 and getting married to you within 90 days of arriving in the US. You need to be married in order for your wife to be able to file for adjustment, otherwise there is nothing to base her eligibility to do so on. Read through the instructions again. You have missed a lot.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Concur with Harpa and Jay. If you have missed the quite obvious references to including the marriage certificate then you've probably missed a heck of a lot more.

If you don't send the marriage cert worst case scenario they accept your money then deny because without a marriage cert you're not eligible. It could happen and I wouldn't risk it.

Timeline

Many thanks to all those who replied. The clarifications (and specific page #, etc on the instructions) were very helpful.

We already have her SSN, and from what I understand based on the replies, it takes only a few days to obtain the certificate, at most. It may not appear so based on my question or comments but we have been VERY careful to date to follow all instructions and supply the needed documents, etc. So, while I appreciate the concern, rest assured we rarely miss things. For example, I didn't miss that the marriage certificate was to be included in the package with the I-485 application. I only thought perhaps it could be sent later, if I-94 expiration date arrived and it became necessary to file for AOS anyway. With the clarifications I now see that isn't a scenario to be worried about.

Again, my gratitude to all those who supplied helpful information.

Edited by JeffPerren

Timeline

For example, I didn't miss that the marriage certificate was to be included in the package with the I-485 application.

Re-reading my initial question, I see that I was wrong to say I didn't miss that. I did miss it on the initial read. Sorry for the misstatement.

I would think they'd rather see a valid marriage license which was sent in a couple days late than an application without one that was sent in early.

Just have all your forms ready to go, and add the marriage license copy as soon as you have it, and send it that day.

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

• 5 years later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 2/15/2012 at 5:36 PM, KayDeeCee said:

There is no requirement to file AOS within those 90 days, only to get married. You will get married before the I-94 expires, so there is no problem to wait until you have the certified marriage certificate from the court. Keep the original from the court and send a copy with your I-485. It is definitely needed.

Also, it does state it is required in the I-485 instructions, Page 4 - #12 - Evidence of eligibility -

B. Based on admission as the K-1 fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen and subsequent marriage to that citizen

Attach a copy of the fiancé(e) petition approval notice, a copy of your marriage certificate, and your Form 1-94, Arrival/Departure Document.

One more thing, the instructions also tell you that your spouse is eligible to file for AOS based on a K-1 and getting married to you within 90 days of arriving in the US. You need to be married in order for your wife to be able to file for adjustment, otherwise there is nothing to base her eligibility to do so on. Read through the instructions again. You have missed a lot.

Hi, did you send your marriage license or a marriage certificate?

Thanks!

17 hours ago, MAFER said:

Hi, did you send your marriage license or a marriage certificate?

Thanks!

Certified marriage certificate

K-1 Visa Journey

11/14/2016: K1 Visa Application Mailed To Dallas Lock Box

11/17/2016: K1 Visa Application Received Date

11/22/2016: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/22/2016: Received NOA1 Text and Email - USCIS California Service Center

11/23/2016: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail

02/07/2017: Received NOA2 Approval Online - 77 Days From NOA1 Date

02/11/2017: Received NOA2 Hard Copy In The Mail

03/03/2017: Case Received By NVC

03/08/2017: Called NVC And Received Case # and Invoice # - CEAC Website Shows Case Is "Ready"

03/09/2017: Downloaded Packet 3 From Canadian Consulate Website - Emailed Packet 3 at 12:30am PST

03/09/2017: Received Return Email Packet 4 at 1pm PST

03/09/2017: Scheduled Interview Per Packet 4 Instructions

04/19/2017: K1 Visa Interview At Montreal US Embassy - Visa Approved - 148 Days From NOA1 Date

04/26/2017: CEAC Status Changed From "Administrative Processing" To "Issued"

04/28/2017: Visa In Hand

05/28/2017: POE Peace Arch Crossing - Blaine, WA USA - Experience Was Very Friendly And Welcoming

07/14/2017: Wedding Day

AOS Journey

08/19/2017: AOSEAD, AP Mailed To Chicago Lock Box

08/29/2017: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

08/30/2017: Received NOA1 Text and Email For AOS, EAD, AP

09/05/2017: Received NOA1 Hard Copies In The Mail For AOS, EAD, AP

09/19/2017: Biometrics Completed

09/26/2017: USCIS Website Shows "Interview Ready To Be Scheduled By USCIS"

11/20/2017: Received EAD and AP Approval Letters

12/04/2017: Received EAD/AP Combo Card

12/07/2018: Received Text notification AOS interview has been scheduled

01/09/2019: AOS Interview Date - Approved

01/17/2019: Green Card In Hand

ROC Journey

10/11/2020: Petition For ROC Window Opens

10/17/2020: Petition For ROC Mailed To USCIS Phoenix

10/20/2020: Petition For ROC Delivered To USCIS Phoenix

11/04/2020: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/04/2020: Received NOA 1 Text and Email

11/10/2020: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail For ROC

11/12/2020: Online - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken

06/22/2021: Online - ROC Approved

07/02/2021: 10 Year Green Card In Hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.