raymondreason

who in their right mind would sign the I-864????

122 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm just baffled by this I-864 Affidavit of Support. This is insane. The govt must be astounded that there are any legal immigrants into America! Who are the financial suicide volunteers who are signing these papers? Would you marry someone and sign a pre-nupt that says: "If you are ever divorced that you will pay ex-spouse $13,000 MINIMUM for the rest of their lives, and have additional liabilities with the govt? No one would get married. I mean the sponsor is putting himself / herself at a complete disadvantage. It's giving your spouse a loaded gun and saying, okay honey, when we have an argument, let's try to forget that you are holding a loaded gun. And yet people sign this form.

I am baffled. Am I missing something here?

I was going to try to bring a fiance here to the USA, but after reading this form....I'm utterly floored. This can't be right.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

First of all, bringing a foreign fiance here is not an easy, quick or inexpensive proposition - so I hope you give thorough thoughts to all steps of the process and not just focus on the I-864.

But - since you specifically asked about the affadavit, here's how it works:

If you bring your fiance here and marry, you'll need to adjust her status for her to gain permanent residency. The I-864 is a comittment between you (the sponsor) and the US Government that your foreign spouse will not become a public charge and receive means tested benefits (ie: foodstamps, AFDC, etc)...

Your comittment ends when these occur:

1) Your wife works 40 qualifying quarters here in the USA (10 years)

2) She becomes a US Citizen

3) You die.

All people who petition for a foreign fiance or wife are required to sign this affadavit and it's only purpose is to guarantee repayent to the Government of benefits paid to her (if this ever occurs).

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Your comittment ends when these occur:

1) Your wife works 40 qualifying quarters here in the USA (10 years)

2) She becomes a US Citizen

3) You die.

All people who petition for a foreign fiance or wife are required to sign this affadavit and it's only purpose is to guarantee repayent to the Government of benefits paid to her (if this ever occurs).

Well, she has the option of not working and suing you for maintenance at 125% if poverty level for the rest of her life. (It's a big incentive to work a cash job, or not work.) For a single person w/o children that is + $13,000 per year. In addition, there is the repayment to govt. I've searched the internet and these lawsuits are common and not easily defeated. Most end up settling for somewhere close to $1000 / month into perpetuity. Possible they could waive the right to sue with a pre-nupt?

Plenty of people would and DO sign it. I don't suggest signing it if you think it's "giving your spouse a loaded gun" ... doesn't sound like you'd trust your spouse.

Well, I'm just trying to be realistic. 50% of marriages fail. I've been through a divorce, and believe me, we started out with the best intentions and completely trusted one another.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yep....I signed it. My wife and I have never had an argument and don't plan to.

We do have differing opinions but our relationship and understanding of the work involved with it and have an agreement to work through the differences and not allow those to affect our relationship.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I'm just baffled by this I-864 Affidavit of Support. This is insane. The govt must be astounded that there are any legal immigrants into America! Who are the financial suicide volunteers who are signing these papers? Would you marry someone and sign a pre-nupt that says: "If you are ever divorced that you will pay ex-spouse $13,000 MINIMUM for the rest of their lives, and have additional liabilities with the govt? No one would get married. I mean the sponsor is putting himself / herself at a complete disadvantage. It's giving your spouse a loaded gun and saying, okay honey, when we have an argument, let's try to forget that you are holding a loaded gun. And yet people sign this form.

I was going to try to bring a fiance here to the USA, but after reading this form....I'm utterly floored. This can't be right.

:time:

If you have any doubts, don't do it!

As far as Federal Government liabilities, that only applies to some, not all, long term periodic payments. As far as support payments in the case of divorce, I-864 does not apply. However, state law does, and whether you marry the girl down the block, or the lad from down under, identical risks applies.

Edited by Crusty Old Perv

:time:

If you have any doubts, don't do it!

As far as Federal Government liabilities, that only applies to some, not all, long term periodic payments. As far as support payments in the case of divorce, I-864 does not apply. However, state law does, and whether you marry the girl down the block, or the lad from down under, identical risks applies.

Here is a quote from the I-864 itself: "If you do not provide sufficient support to the person who becomes a permanent resident based on the Form I-864 that you signed, that person may sue you for this support."

Another quote from same form: "Note that divorce does not terminate your obligations under this Form I-864."

It's right there in the fine print folks. This doesn't end after 10 years, which I keep reading on this site. It ends after 40 quarters of full-time employment, deportation or death.

I ran a lumber company with many employees for years and was in numerous lawsuits. A contract like the I-864 is something an attorney will take on consignment, because it is a slam dunk.

I'm not saying i've decided not to marry my foreign girlfriend, but i realize now, there can never be a divorce. Financially speaking, this is like a student loan. It cannot be forgiven, or nullified. The marriage will be permanent.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You haven't done enough research to understand the realities of the I-864. Not quite as ominous as you portray in your post.

That being said, we petitioning citizens do need to take responsibility for our actions when facilitating our loved one's immigration. The family law implications of a divorce (immigrant or not) are likely far more dire than the I-864 obligations.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You might as well marry an american instead because they are coming out with 2 year marriage contracts which sounds like its better for you.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Here is a quote from the I-864 itself: "If you do not provide sufficient support to the person who becomes a permanent resident based on the Form I-864 that you signed, that person may sue you for this support."

Another quote from same form: "Note that divorce does not terminate your obligations under this Form I-864."

It's right there in the fine print folks. This doesn't end after 10 years, which I keep reading on this site. It ends after 40 quarters of full-time employment, deportation or death.

I ran a lumber company with many employees for years and was in numerous lawsuits. A contract like the I-864 is something an attorney will take on consignment, because it is a slam dunk.

I'm not saying i've decided not to marry my foreign girlfriend, but i realize now, there can never be a divorce. Financially speaking, this is like a student loan. It cannot be forgiven, or nullified. The marriage will be permanent.

It is NOT a "slam dunk". The immigrant is a not a party to the contract, just the government and the USC. Do people get sued? Yes but sometimes they try and it doesn't work.

More interesting to me is you mustn't think much of her as a person, or know her well enough, to think she would slack off and not work and sue you for support. I know, and my husband knows, that that's just not me. Heck I'm not even sure I would stay here if we divorced. I might until I get USC just so the option is there for later years, but most likely I would return to Australia and my family.

My husband barely even read the I-864. I explained it to him. He just wasn't even mildly worried that I would do any of the negative things that some people do.

Post by Jim about it: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/309015-10-year-green-card/page__view__findpost__p__4655808

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

its all about trust, and if you dont have it... DONT DO IT!!!!

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

With your post the replies have indicated to you:

There is doubt: Without signing the appropriate forms of support there is No way she is coming here. (Everyone must adhere to Policy of USCIS)

Every Sponsor must sign these support forms. If your planning a divorce before you even marry then just marry a USC and divorce. The Screw will be just as the same. (Inky's reply) (Map's reply so to say)

You have 90 days to marry and/or think it over and send her back. WOW. So with that attitude then have a Round trip ticket for her.

Why go this far in the process and start asking questions because now you say I NEVER UNDERSTANDED My obligations to the immigrant? It's not much different than marrying a USC and a divorce.

What might be in your best interest is to write a certified letter to USCIS and withdraw your Petition until you sort your doubts. I see no happyness with questions in your mind until you find in your heart the answers.

With the replies you recieved back from Members I will assume you will CONTINUE with your Petiion as SO, Every Sponsor signs the Paperwork.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

well following your logic, there are thousands upon thousands of people who are out of their minds. Signing it is required, being mad about it doesnt change the fact that it must be done. Most people are probably happy to sign it because it brings their loved one to them! If you look to your future and dont see her in it then dont bother petitioning her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Three posts removed for name calling and swearing. Please keep it civil and no personal attacks. *****

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.