raymondreason

who in their right mind would sign the I-864????

122 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

raymondreason

Good intentions or not, you're already considering the worst case scenerio.. you need to have not only good intentions, but you also need to trust your wife.. And if you can't trust her, then you should continue your search whether it's someone at home or someone abroad..

My last comment is; if you simply cant get past the responsiblity that the 864 brings, this stuff isn't for you...

Welcome to the immigration process...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

There are way too many people who jump into a relationship for various reasons and bring a non-USC to the US and then realize it's not the what they thought it was..

she isn't barefoot and pregnant and waiting for you to come home with her lengerie and your slippers. Since it's not ameicas job to act as your counselor or your bank, that's the reason for the 864.

If the relationship turns out bad due to unrealistic expectations or simply incompatiblity, they feel they can simply treat thier forreign spouse like a peice of merchandise and ship'r back. The 864 is designed to keep immature people from making mistakes out of hasty thoughtless descisions and then leaving the rest of Americans responsible for someone who wouldnt be here had it not been for a rash descission by a thoughtless American..

If petitioners aren't in this for the right reasons, why would you want to let otheres pay for your mistakes...

Edited by kennym

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm just baffled by this I-864 Affidavit of Support. This is insane. The govt must be astounded that there are any legal immigrants into America! Who are the financial suicide volunteers who are signing these papers? Would you marry someone and sign a pre-nupt that says: "If you are ever divorced that you will pay ex-spouse $13,000 MINIMUM for the rest of their lives, and have additional liabilities with the govt? No one would get married. I mean the sponsor is putting himself / herself at a complete disadvantage. It's giving your spouse a loaded gun and saying, okay honey, when we have an argument, let's try to forget that you are holding a loaded gun. And yet people sign this form.

I am baffled. Am I missing something here?

I was going to try to bring a fiance here to the USA, but after reading this form....I'm utterly floored. This can't be right.

I love my fiance and am willing to take that risk. I look forward to spending the rest of my life with her and being very happy. If you have doubts at this stage I would suggest you at least wait and give it plenty of thought and prayer.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Plenty of people would and DO sign it. I don't suggest signing it if you think it's "giving your spouse a loaded gun" ... doesn't sound like you'd trust your spouse.

I see No Indication this is a Spouse.

The OP has no timeline and seems to be asking questions about financials. The OP does not even indicate if he has filed a 129-F/CR-1. I read: The posibility no Petition is even Filed since "Raymond" does not give replies as of yet.

I say this looking at the Original Post. There is No clear indicator of a Petition Filed and what for. Seems like just a question.

Maybe RAYMOND can enlighten us ?

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Whether you think it will work or whether you think it will not work, you are probably right.

I can't wait to sign it because we have the right chemistry, values, goals. Anything unforseen after this point is

only a speed bump and is not a deal killer. You really have to know you are making the right decision because this worry

will destroy your ability to love deeply and have peace of mind.

Sign it and accept it or postpone it and give it more time to make sure but don't bring this into the marriage.

I see No Indication this is a Spouse.

The OP has no timeline and seems to be asking questions about financials. The OP does not even indicate if he has filed a 129-F/CR-1. I read: The posibility no Petition is even Filed since "Raymond" does not give replies as of yet.

I say this looking at the Original Post. There is No clear indicator of a Petition Filed and what for. Seems like just a question.

Maybe RAYMOND can enlighten us ?

Well, the OP mentioned bringing their fiancee to the US and the I-864 is for AOS, so at the time the OP would be filling out the form, the fiancee would be the spouse. That's the only reason I said it. :)

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't think he's trying to piss anyone off. I think he is just stating a fear that many people have but won't say so. I know for me, it was a scary thing. Yes, I love and trust my husband but I really don't like the thought of being financially responsible for anyone besides my kids and I don't want anyone financially responsible for me either. I think an even scarier thought is when people get friends or relatives to co-sponser. Now that is a scary proposition and sadly to say, I would never do that for ANYONE.

Betsy El Sum

Timeline

I can understand the uneasiness. No one is completely trustworthy and there are a lot of things you just might not know about a person until after marriage. After all, if we all knew everything about spouses then the divorce rate would probably be closer to .5% instead of +50%. I would recommend marrying (if you're serious about the marriage) and living in the fiance's country until you get to know the person REALLY well.

Talking about loaded guns...many US states have outrageous laws and men can often be jailed or worse based on nothing more than an angry wife's accusation. It's just the world we live in, so marry someone with enough integrity to play fair even if he/she ends up being a quitter.

really? My wife didn't even read all that stuff before she signed that form. Why does she need to read it? If She had read it and raised questions that would have ultimately destroyed our relationship from the beginning. I urge you to take your time because it is obvious your are not ready for this

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Got RFE for I-485 28th July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

Contacted congressman Oct 17th

Faxed documents to congressman Oct 17th

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
:ot: Wait...Affidavit of Support I-164 is what the beneficiary brings on the interview and Affidavit of Support I-864 is after the marriage and while adjusting the status. Am I right?

Happy New Year!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

There are way too many people who jump into a relationship for various reasons and bring a non-USC to the US and then realize it's not the what they thought it was..

I'm inclined to agree with the above comment - I think there are a lot of people that probably don't think this through and while it may sound like a negative outlook, it is realistic to at least consider it. The worst scenario is pretty extreme and its important to know what the financial obligations are should this happen. It doesn't necessarily mean it is the OPs only consideration.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

:ot: Wait...Affidavit of Support I-164 is what the beneficiary brings on the interview and Affidavit of Support I-864 is after the marriage and while adjusting the status. Am I right?

no. I-134 is for the K1, I-864 is at the AOS stage.

I'm just baffled by this I-864 Affidavit of Support. This is insane. The govt must be astounded that there are any legal immigrants into America! Who are the financial suicide volunteers who are signing these papers? Would you marry someone and sign a pre-nupt that says: "If you are ever divorced that you will pay ex-spouse $13,000 MINIMUM for the rest of their lives, and have additional liabilities with the govt? No one would get married. I mean the sponsor is putting himself / herself at a complete disadvantage. It's giving your spouse a loaded gun and saying, okay honey, when we have an argument, let's try to forget that you are holding a loaded gun. And yet people sign this form.

I am baffled. Am I missing something here?

I was going to try to bring a fiance here to the USA, but after reading this form....I'm utterly floored. This can't be right.

Did you have a particular fiancee in mind ?? You know your right, it's kind of a risk. Anybody who would not at least consider the possibility that the marriage could end is not being realistic.

I do have some friends that came here on K-1 visa and are divorced. I asked them about this the other night. They had no idea and it had never come into play in their divorce. Also from what I understand you are only liable for that amount of money between what they make and the poverty line, and can not be greater than the amount the government paid in benefits.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

who in their right mind would sign the I-864???? well my fiancee will sign it and my future father in-law will sign it as co-sponsor because they trust me to do the right thing if my relationship fails... i will come back home to england because jenni is the only reason im moving to america

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.