raymondreason

who in their right mind would sign the I-864????

122 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Is this I-864 form REQUIRED with your financial information and reports, and with the I-134?

I don't remember sending or using it the first time I did this about 4 years ago.

07/27/2011...........NOA1 received.

12/05/2011...........RFE received.

12/13/2011...........RFE response sent.

12/16/2011...........RFE RESPONSE received by Vermont S.C.

12/22/2011...........Teased by a text-message from uscis, saying they have received my response to the RFE.

12/30/2011...........LA VISA APROVADOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

01/12/2012...........Case Sent To Bogota Colombia, from the National Visa Center.

02/09/2012...........Schedule Interview.

03/23/2012...........Interview (to take place then)!

04/07/2012...........Arrived in USA.

07/01/2012...........MARRIED!

What next?

.......How the days DO slip away!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Is this I-864 form REQUIRED with your financial information and reports, and with the I-134?

In most cases, it is not required for the K1 visa at interview (you'll be using the I-134 there), but it always is required after you get married for Adjustment of Status in the USA.

I must say, I can understand the OP's concern; maybe not for a fiance/ spouse, but I don;t think I would ever co-sponsor someone.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

In most cases, it is not required for the K1 visa at interview (you'll be using the I-134 there), but it always is required after you get married for Adjustment of Status in the USA.

I must say, I can understand the OP's concern; maybe not for a fiance/ spouse, but I don;t think I would ever co-sponsor someone.

Ditto. I would never co-sponsor someone unless it was my own family (such as my husband was sponsoring my mother/sister/brother and I co-sponsored them) or spouse/fiance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

This issue has been covered so many times onthis forum before. USC's who want the positive aspects of a relationship to a non USC but who aren't willing to accept the ramifications if their situation doesn't work out.

The bottom line is that marriage is a serious decision. It takes 2 mature and consenting adults to make the comittment to sacrifice for each other and each makes sacrificies in their own way.

The non USC gives up their lives as they knew it, their jobs, families and their support system to go to a strange land where they TOTALLY rely on a person that they are still geting to know.

The USC agrees to support the other person on the off-chance that their relationship will fail, the non USC will not have a desire to pull their own weight and might receive a benefit from the US government.

I believe the sacrifice of the NON USC is higher than the sacrifice of the USC in these cases, especially if you enter a marriage in good faith, have love and communication with each other and an uinderstanding between each person of what life here in the USA is really like.

If the OP has these doubts now, I would recommend he take a long hard look at the process before filling out the I-129F or any other document. I think he owes it to himself and to his fiance to think this one through.

Personally, my I-134 is completed, signed and ready to go and I'd gladly sign any other document if it meant geting my loved one here with me - where she belongs.

Edited by az110965

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm just baffled by this I-864 Affidavit of Support. This is insane. The govt must be astounded that there are any legal immigrants into America! Who are the financial suicide volunteers who are signing these papers? Would you marry someone and sign a pre-nupt that says: "If you are ever divorced that you will pay ex-spouse $13,000 MINIMUM for the rest of their lives, and have additional liabilities with the govt? No one would get married. I mean the sponsor is putting himself / herself at a complete disadvantage. It's giving your spouse a loaded gun and saying, okay honey, when we have an argument, let's try to forget that you are holding a loaded gun. And yet people sign this form.

I am baffled. Am I missing something here?

I was going to try to bring a fiance here to the USA, but after reading this form....I'm utterly floored. This can't be right.

It isn't right. You read it wrong.

The obligation is for no more than 10 years, most likely much less. The obligation ends when she becomes a citizen and that can occur about 4 years or less after she arrives.

As written the I-864 ONLY requires you to repay the government IF she becomes a public charge. If you allow an attorney to get over on you for it, that would be your error

Most of us have no such concerns about the persons we love and NO I would not sign a pre-nuop of any kind.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You haven't done enough research to understand the realities of the I-864. Not quite as ominous as you portray in your post.

That being said, we petitioning citizens do need to take responsibility for our actions when facilitating our loved one's immigration. The family law implications of a divorce (immigrant or not) are likely far more dire than the I-864 obligations.

Life ain't for skeerdy-cats.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Ditto. I would never co-sponsor someone unless it was my own family (such as my husband was sponsoring my mother/sister/brother and I co-sponsored them) or spouse/fiance.

Agree... not a good position to be in when you are not involved in the process or outcome but have ultimate financial responsibility should it fail.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: Timeline

I'm inclined to agree with the above comment - I think there are a lot of people that probably don't think this through and while it may sound like a negative outlook, it is realistic to at least consider it. The worst scenario is pretty extreme and its important to know what the financial obligations are should this happen. It doesn't necessarily mean it is the OPs only consideration.

Yes, thanks for all the comments. I didn't mean to start a firestorm. I was/am simply in a state of shock. I haven't filled out any papers yet. I haven't even asked her to marry me, but i've known her for six years and love her and we've finally decided to do this (i still have to formally propose). I'm just doing a little research before i get started.

Look, i understand the negative reactions of many posters. I myself have always been against a prenuptial agreement. Not because i want to throw caution to the wind, but because the state has fair community property laws to protect both parties should the worst happen, and a prenuptial brings conflict....between trust and prudence...between love and wisdom. I've been through a divorce with assets and children, we had no prenuptial, and i felt the state laws really made the whole miserable process fair, at least.

But this I-864 is certainly not fair. If the spouse doesn't receive alimony equal to 125% of poverty (which changes every year UP), he/she has a license to sue. I mean child support is fair, community property is fair, even alimony is basically fair when it is applied. BUT THIS IS WAY UNFAIR.

I am Greek Orthodox and am around a lot of foreign immigrants...mainly Greeks, Serbs, Romanians, and Russians. I've always heard the big sticking point for them bringing family is "whose going to be the sponsor". Sponsors are hard to come by. Now i know why.

And it's all quite ironic, because most of the foreigners i know came here under "refugee" or "asylum" status, and are entitled to major govt support. I mean illegals get support, for crying out loud. Govt giving support justifies it's own existence. WHEN HAS THE GOVT EVER BEEN AGAINST SPENDING MONEY ON PEOPLE WHO CAN VOTE? (Маybe that's the answer...they can't vote yet???)

I can see people in love doing this. I'll probably end up doing it myself. But i am really infuriated that the govt would require this. Why would they discourage bringing a foreigner here legally?????

I mean people make mistakes. I know...i made a big one in the past and paid my dues honorable. But this kind of a law, well it encourages abuse.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

"But this I-864 is certainly not fair. If the spouse doesn't receive alimony equal to 125% of poverty (which changes every year UP), he/she has a license to sue. I mean child support is fair, community property is fair, even alimony is basically fair when it is applied. BUT THIS IS WAY UNFAIR."

How do you construe this as being way unfair? If you bring a foreign person here and things don't work out then why should the US taxpayers have to foot the bill if your wife would happen to receive benefits? I wouldn't expect you to pay for my misfortune, so please don't ask me to pay for yours if it should happen down the road.

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Timeline

Yes, thanks for all the comments. I didn't mean to start a firestorm. I was/am simply in a state of shock. I haven't filled out any papers yet. I haven't even asked her to marry me, but i've known her for six years and love her and we've finally decided to do this (i still have to formally propose). I'm just doing a little research before i get started.

Look, i understand the negative reactions of many posters. I myself have always been against a prenuptial agreement. Not because i want to throw caution to the wind, but because the state has fair community property laws to protect both parties should the worst happen, and a prenuptial brings conflict....between trust and prudence...between love and wisdom. I've been through a divorce with assets and children, we had no prenuptial, and i felt the state laws really made the whole miserable process fair, at least.

But this I-864 is certainly not fair. If the spouse doesn't receive alimony equal to 125% of poverty (which changes every year UP), he/she has a license to sue. I mean child support is fair, community property is fair, even alimony is basically fair when it is applied. BUT THIS IS WAY UNFAIR.

I am Greek Orthodox and am around a lot of foreign immigrants...mainly Greeks, Serbs, Romanians, and Russians. I've always heard the big sticking point for them bringing family is "whose going to be the sponsor". Sponsors are hard to come by. Now i know why.

And it's all quite ironic, because most of the foreigners i know came here under "refugee" or "asylum" status, and are entitled to major govt support. I mean illegals get support, for crying out loud. Govt giving support justifies it's own existence. WHEN HAS THE GOVT EVER BEEN AGAINST SPENDING MONEY ON PEOPLE WHO CAN VOTE? (Маybe that's the answer...they can't vote yet???)

I can see people in love doing this. I'll probably end up doing it myself. But i am really infuriated that the govt would require this. Why would they discourage bringing a foreigner here legally?????

I mean people make mistakes. I know...i made a big one in the past and paid my dues honorable. But this kind of a law, well it encourages abuse.

I agree in one way. The government should simply make it illegal for legal immigrants on family visas to receive ANY means tested benefits ever, until they are citizens.

Job done.

They don't and we have this instead. A good Ukrainian woman can make you forget about all this anyway. :P

Gary And Alla

Permanent Residents (green card holders) cannot vote, actually.

Here's the worst that could happen: she leaves you and ends up trying to get means tested benefits. The federal government turns around and sue you for that amount. It's not the 125% of the poverty line that you would be providing her with yearly.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

A good Ukrainian woman can make you forget about all this anyway. :P

you know any?? :P

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm just baffled by this I-864 Affidavit of Support. This is insane. The govt must be astounded that there are any legal immigrants into America! Who are the financial suicide volunteers who are signing these papers? Would you marry someone and sign a pre-nupt that says: "If you are ever divorced that you will pay ex-spouse $13,000 MINIMUM for the rest of their lives, and have additional liabilities with the govt? No one would get married. I mean the sponsor is putting himself / herself at a complete disadvantage. It's giving your spouse a loaded gun and saying, okay honey, when we have an argument, let's try to forget that you are holding a loaded gun. And yet people sign this form.

I am baffled. Am I missing something here?

I was going to try to bring a fiance here to the USA, but after reading this form....I'm utterly floored. This can't be right.

If really love and trust your Fiance/ spouse... You will sign it.

US Citizenship

February 2, 2016 - Package mailed

February 8,2016 - Credit card charged

February 9, 2016 - NOA1

March 1, 2016 - Biometrics Appt

March 29, 2016 - In Line for interview

April 1, 2016 - Interview Scheduled

April 4, 2016 - Interview letter received in the mail

May 10, 2016 - Interview Day! (Approved)

June 8, 2016 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

"But this I-864 is certainly not fair. If the spouse doesn't receive alimony equal to 125% of poverty (which changes every year UP), he/she has a license to sue. I mean child support is fair, community property is fair, even alimony is basically fair when it is applied. BUT THIS IS WAY UNFAIR."

How do you construe this as being way unfair? If you bring a foreign person here and things don't work out then why should the US taxpayers have to foot the bill if your wife would happen to receive benefits? I wouldn't expect you to pay for my misfortune, so please don't ask me to pay for yours if it should happen down the road.

I have no problem with reimbursing the govt for benefits. It's the part about suing the former spouse for lifetime support. You didn't read the contract. Remember, there is a huge incentive NOT to work 40 quarters. This is a terrible law.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Meh, Mr. Sachinky barely looked at it. I just told him where to sign the dotted line.

I had three co-sponsors lined up (my cousin, my FIL, a friend of ours) with signed I-864s on the day of the interview.

All of these people have known me for a considerable period of time, they know I would never take any form of government support, that I am hard-working and am gainfully employed. They also know that my parents are well off enough to pay back any amount should things ever come to that, God forbid. (Only LPRs and USCs can be joint sponsors, otherwise, if it were allowed, my parents would have easily signed the I864 as joint sponsors. They also offered to move the requisite money in my bank account but as that is not recommended we didn't go down that route.)

These people also know that I am not the type to turn around and sue someone who was kind enough to help me out. I mean, what kind of a pathetic person does that, any way? Furthermore, chances are, if my marriage were to hit rock bottom, I'd be on the first flight out to India.

As long as I knew the person well enough (close friend, cousin, family) etc and trusted them not to eff me over, I'd probably agree to sign as a joint sponsor in the future.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.