raymondreason

who in their right mind would sign the I-864????

122 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Where have you read this or do you have any case law? I asked this exact question... a few times on this forum.

My income is not on my ex-wifes SS statement from when we were married?

I have Alla's SS statements. You get one every year 2 months before their birthday. Ever read it? It lists qualifying quarters. Hers lists our income from our joint tax returns.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Unfortunately, 50% of couples get divorces. The reality is, very few of the immigrant fiances hightail it back to their country after divorce. You just said it, you'd hightail it back to where you get free health care. Well, in the case of most the place they will get free health care is right here in the US... at the USC's expense potentially for the rest of their life. A ludicrous risk for a USC to take on... especially one that doesn't make a high income or has known his/her fiance for a limited period of time.

Seriously?

This thread is getting kind of insulting.

I work my #### off every day. When I'm not at work I get calls from my employees and stress about not being at work. I bust my butt to save every penny so that I can contribute when I move for as long as it takes me to get another job. The only reason I'm giving up my job is to move to the US because I love my fiance. If we divorced, I'd probably high tail it back to Canada to get my free health care.

If the USC has the slightest fear about signing this for a fiance(e), I wouldn't suggest getting married.

Not all of us are leeches that want to exploit our American fiance(e)'s. Does it happen? Sure. How some of you are talking about it is offensive.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

I have Alla's SS statements. You get one every year 2 months before their birthday. Ever read it? It lists qualifying quarters. Hers lists our income from our joint tax returns.

I believe that you're seeing her get 8 credits/year, but that wasn't my experience years ago (yes, we filed joint). Perhaps something changed???

Timeline

got about 10 years worth right in front of me. I handle all her personal finances. She has no credits for any of my income, only hers. the white statements with green and black lettering, correct?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Unfortunately, 50% of couples get divorces. The reality is, very few of the immigrant fiances hightail it back to their country after divorce. You just said it, you'd hightail it back to where you get free health care. Well, in the case of most the place they will get free health care is right here in the US... at the USC's expense potentially for the rest of their life. A ludicrous risk for a USC to take on... especially one that doesn't make a high income or has known his/her fiance for a limited period of time.

And here is where I say.."I am pro-choice". If you are worried about it, do not do it.

If you do it, do not worry about it. Choose, and then commit to your choice.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Dont make the "favor" to your fiancee for bring her in the US.. Find somebody else that is from the same area that you are and like that you dont have to worried for the money that you are going to "give her"if this fail..

If your relation cant work with this LITTLE problems , save your time , dont get married now..

Stay with her more time if you want , seems like you need it for TRUST in her...

:thumbs:

Timeline

I'm obviously going to sign it. It's just foolish that the US govt requires it. Many people are close or barely over the poverty threshhold anyhow. If something happens to their spouse or ex-spouse they will be using mean tested benefits and the USC spouse will suffer forever and most likely rarely end up paying it all anyhow if he/she is close to the poverty level... which means taxpayers pay it thus making the form foolish.

You had the best suggestion... no mean tested benefits for them.

And here is where I say.."I am pro-choice". If you are worried about it, do not do it.

If you do it, do not worry about it. Choose, and then commit to your choice.

Timeline

Again folks... this has nothing about trust. If your fiance turns into an ex-wife or husband and then gets hit by a car and then is in a coma for years, and then can never work the rest of their life, guess who's now screwed? No one planned the accident, but this form has nothing to do with whether or not you "trust, love, etc" your fiance.

Dont make the "favor" to your fiancee for bring her in the US.. Find somebody else that is from the same area that you are and like that you dont have to worried for the money that you are going to "give her"if this fail..

If your relation cant work with this LITTLE problems , save your time , dont get married now..

Stay with her more time if you want , seems like you need it for TRUST in her...

:thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My point was that a lot of us are giving up things like free health care, jobs, and other services that are invaluable in order to join our fiance(e)'s in the US. We will have to work even harder to start over by getting new jobs and making new connections. We will have to make new friends, find new places to live, and be far away from part of our support system.

All of those things, to me, are huge sacrifices to make in order to join the person I love. It stings a bit to see people talk about this like they are the only ones making any kind of sacrifice. Both the USC and the beneficiary make sacrifices to be together.

Sounds like being bitter and/or exercising poor judgment causes most of the suffering the USC endures from divorce.

Filed: Timeline

Raymondreason- You are absolutely correct. I can honestly say that for myself, signing this document will be one of the most foolish things I have ever done in my life. The things we'll do for love. Fortunately, similar to you I have been with my fiance for over 5 years... but signing this document will still be one of the stupidest things I have ever done.

I know what you're saying. I hate to sign a bad contract. But a lot of these guys and gals are right. Love is crazy. If we all waited for something that was sane and rational, we probably wouldn't be in love. ....and love trumps all.

Timeline

Is this I-864 form REQUIRED with your financial information and reports, and with the I-134?

I don't remember sending or using it the first time I did this about 4 years ago.

Hey GringoD

In reading the recent instructions for P4 in Colombia, it is required for the Interview...

Kenny

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

All of those things, to me, are huge sacrifices to make in order to join the person I love. It stings a bit to see people talk about this like they are the only ones making any kind of sacrifice. Both the USC and the beneficiary make sacrifices to be together.

The subject was about the specific requirements of the I-864, not a general discussion about who is sacrificing what. The question of the legal obligations that come from the affidavit is a valid one, and anybody signing it ought to fully understand what it means. Marriage isn't a trivial undertaking, and anybody getting into it should know precisely what it means in case it does not work out, because half the time, it doesn't.

PS - that Canadian health care isn't free.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The subject was about the specific requirements of the I-864, not a general discussion about who is sacrificing what. The question of the legal obligations that come from the affidavit is a valid one, and anybody signing it ought to fully understand what it means. Marriage isn't a trivial undertaking, and anybody getting into it should know precisely what it means in case it does not work out, because half the time, it doesn't.

PS - that Canadian health care isn't free.

Thanks for letting me know what the subject is, since it is becoming so convoluted in mudslinging that it's hard to tell the difference. I totally agree it isn't trivial and that people should know what they're getting into. But it sure sounds like people are planning their divorce before they're even married. It's ridiculous.

PS. Canadian health care is free below a certain income. Above that level it is heavily subsidized. :thumbs:

Timeline

Raymondreason- You are absolutely correct. I can honestly say that for myself, signing this document will be one of the most foolish things I have ever done in my life. The things we'll do for love. Fortunately, similar to you I have been with my fiance for over 5 years... but signing this document will still be one of the stupidest things I have ever done.

I agree.. make taxpayers responsible for the rash descisions of their fellow Americans.. The 864 provides excellent incentive for anyone sponsering a foreigner, to ensure they're thinking it all through and it's not for the wrong motives...

This form is NOT designed around popularity, it is likely due to all the mistakes made by horny men who think their girl friend is coming here only to rock thier world, and when the men realize, that wasnt thier intention, they feel they can dump em off to the American Taxpayers...

Edited by kennym

Timeline

Again.. the point is not divorce, its about the responsibilty that comes with petitioning for someone,, If you cant handle the responsiblity, dont sponser anyone..

Edited by kennym

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.