frantick1

Petitioner doesn't want to get married

106 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Not sure that this is the right area of the forum, but here goes...

The bottom line is that I (the male, petitioner of a K1 and two K2 visas) no longer wish to get married to the K1 visa holder. She has been here 15 days and it is a disaster. On top of that I'm 58 and just (last Friday) lost my job of 8 years.

How can I best extricate myself from this situation?

Edited by frantick1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I would first suggest giving it some time. Sounds like you are going from being single to having inherited an almost wife and two children. This is a really big change. On top of that you lost your employment which is additional stress you really didn't need right now. Also look at it from their side, having to adjust to you, a new home, a new country, etc. Lots of stress all the way around.

Your almost family can remain in the US for up to 90 days (check the I-94 in the passport). Can I recommend that you give it a little more time before giving up on the whole thing? They must leave prior to the expiration of the I-94 or they will be out of status. She and the children (most likely) can still adjust status at any time if she marries you and only you. Thus, if you delay things a bit, while she runs a risk of being discovered and placed in removal proceedings, if she marries you after the I-94 expires she can still adjust status. What she cannot do is marry someone else and adjust status from within the US.

A true gentleman would give it some time and a lot of talking and adapting to the situation and if all fails provide tickets back to the home country and part with her as friends.

as I see it, if you dont marry within 90 days they will be here illegally, just like overstaying on a tourist visa. I'm not sure where you stand as far as getting them out of your house goes, but they do have to go home.

TBH I think this is one of the biggest risks of the K1 process, because moving in together isn't like a holiday, it's real from here on out; sometimes it doesnt work out

event.png

The bottom line is that I (the male, petitioner of a K1 and two K2 visas) no longer wish to get married to the K1 visa holder. She has been here 15 days and it is a disaster. On top of that I'm 58 and just (last Friday) lost my job of 8 years.

Talk to your bride. Maybe you can solve some issues. She is coming from different country and she has her own habits, so she needs to adjust her life here and you need to adjust to having her and her kids here. Don't forget that she probably left everything in her home country to be with you.

If you don't want to get married, noone can force you to. Thus she would need to go back to her country.

Adjustment of Status

Dec 3, 2008 - Aug 20, 2009 (approval on August 7th)

Removing of Conditions

May 9, 2011 - October 4, 2011 (approval on September 28th)

Naturalization

July 19, 2014 - N400 packet sent out

July 21, 2014 - N400 packet delivered

July 23, 2014 - received email/text that I-797 is issued

July 26, 2014 - received I-797 in mail

August 11, 2014 - received the Biometrics notification

August 14, 2014 - biometrics walk-in (original date August 20)

August 18, 2014 - in line for interview scheduling

September 9, 2014 - yellow letter is received (letter is issued September 3)

November 3, 2014 - interview notice is issued (email/text alert)

November 10, 2014 - interview notice received with the interview date of December 11, 2014.

November 10, 2014 - request to reschedule mailed out

December 5, 2014 - interview notice is sent out (email/text alert)

December 11, 2014 - received an interview letter in mail

January 10, 2015 - interview on Saturday at 7am

January 26, 2015 - sent the requested documentation

February 26, 2015 - oath letter is issued (email/text alert)

March 2, 2015 - oath letter is received

March 18, 2015 - oath at 8am

Filed: Other Timeline

If you do not get married within the 90-day time frame of her I-94, she will be out of status and unable to adjust status to that of a resident by any other means. She will be unable to get a driver's license and to work. Very few people would want to live like that; thus, she most likely would want to return home. If nothing, you owe her the money for the airline ticket.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you do not get married within the 90-day time frame of her I-94, she will be out of status and unable to adjust status to that of a resident by any other means. She will be unable to get a driver's license and to work. Very few people would want to live like that; thus, she most likely would want to return home. If nothing, you owe her the money for the airline ticket.

Of course, the airfare is not an issue... in fact it is already paid... the original tickets were purchased as round trip, and the return flights (for all three people) is this coming Friday, July 29.

But she won't go.

----

This brings up another layer of the discussion:

What legal responsibility do I have? Today? After 90 days?

I assume that I am legally bound to support them until the 90 days period is over; but beyond that, with being married? I don't know.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Of course, the airfare is not an issue... in fact it is already paid... the original tickets were purchased as round trip, and the return flights (for all three people) is this coming Friday, July 29.

But she won't go.

----

I assume that I am legally bound to support them until the 90 days period is over; but beyond that, with being married? I don't know.

You don't have any legal or financial responsibility either now or after 90 days. If you don't get married, then it is her responsibility to return home. I agree you should wait and see if you can work it out though. A lot of things happened in this past two weeks and it might be your gut instinct to run, but you may regret it later. You did agree to marry and put a lot of effort into bring her here for that purpose, after all. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My wife coming to USA gave up everything. it was hard for me without loosing my job. Be patient, talk come to a joint decision. Give it some time you have 90 days, get any decent job.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

What do you mean "she doesn't want to go back?" Without marriage, she has no option BUT to go back. If she overstays her I-94 without being married to you, she will be out-of-status and subject to deportation. Without adjusting her status to that of an LPR, she won't be able to work, drive or travel abroad. Live freely, in other words.

Apart from wishing her well, apologizing for the situation and giving her a ride to the airport, you have no other obligation. If you feel that marriage is not the right step for you at this time, do not be guilted or brow-beaten into it.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Just Bob,

I noticed you won the GC lottery. What you mean you were not eligible?

Check out his profile (on left side). :) It was because of his overstay.

2BoFm4.png

Met - Feb. 2010

Ben ~> States - Oct. 2010

Ben ~> States - Dec. 2010 to Jan. 2011

Becky ~> NZ - March 2011

*starting IR-1/CR-1 soon... fingers crossed*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

But she won't go.

----

Well July 29 is coming around early. She has no right to stay in your house because you're not married (if you were married you couldn't just kick her out). There is no legal responsibility to her, just moral.

If I were you I would call the police to have her removed. While in the presence of police I would give her the tickets, advise her of the date, pay for a hotel/motel while waiting for the flight and then if she doesn't catch it, you have proof you tried to do the right thing.

I'm sorry it didn't work out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.