103 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Does not say you are citizen but does replace the green card. If you have green card and receive SS #, you are asked to tear up the green card. Most of the time when you go for change of status interview you are told to bring in green card to show it destroyed in front of Immigration interviewer. There was no reason for you to apply for green card.

A SS Card does not make you a citizen. This is not going to help.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Does not say you are citizen but does replace the green card. If you have green card and receive SS #, you are asked to tear up the green card. Most of the time when you go for change of status interview you are told to bring in green card to show it destroyed in front of Immigration interviewer. There was no reason for you to apply for green card.

You are confused and confusing.

AOS packet sent : 05/19

Received by USCIS: 05/21

NOA Date: 06/21

NOA Hard Copy: 06/26

Biometrics Letter: 06/29 (scheduled for 07/15)

I-765 returned to me (rejected): 07/07

New I-765 sent: 07/08

Biometrics done: 07/15

RFE- Mail: 07/28

RFE Sent back: 08/02

USCIS acknowledged RFE: 08/05

2nd I-765 rejected: 08/07

3rd I-765 filed: 08/08

I-765 received by USCIS: 08/24

Interview Notice set for 10/14: 09/08

I-765 approved finally!: 09/14

EAD in hand: 09/24

Interview approved!: 10/14

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Umm, what??

Those coming in on a K-1 can get their SSN before they even get married. They then file for AOS to become a legal permanent resident, and the green card is what shows their status as an LPR. My husband should have ripped up his green card when it arrived because he already had his SS card for months beforehand? What you are saying makes no sense at all.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Not only do you need a lawyer , you need a highly qualified one. Don't pick one off the back of a bus bench . Many of the highest ranked ones have very reasonable consulatation fees and many will also work out payments.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Timeline

A social security card DOES NOT REPLACE a green card.

A social security card (or number) authorizes a person to WORK in the US. It does not authorize a person to BE A US CITIZEN OR LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENT.

A green card (legal permanent residency card) authorizes a person to legally LIVE IN THE US and authorizes the person to work. In order to work, the person MUST get a social security card (number).

A legal permanent resident (LPR) will ALWAYS need a green card as proof of his/her status.

SOCIAL SECURITY WILL NEVER EVER ASK ANYONE TO TEAR UP A GREEN CARD. ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE that "if you have a green card and receive SS #, you are asked to tear up the green card."

Edited by Jojo92122

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You can give a shot, but in the case like thing I don’t know what even lawyer can do. Lawyer cannot make up another law where USC can claim himself to be USC on employment forms etc.

Honestly I don’t see much options, I was thinking he might be able to battle it out only if he was under 18 and his parents became USC… but as per the JIM (Who I think is resident expert on the forum) that could be too late as well.

You are extremely misinformed.

Since most of us here posting have actually done this, I would suggest you take our advice.

A Greencard is proof of your permanent residency. You should not destroy this under any circumstance. It is also not "tearable."

A SS number can be obtained for a variety of reasons, including people with temporary work visas. it does not give you ANY status and also does not give you the right to work.

A Greencard is the first step to Citizenship.

OP - falsely claiming US Citizenship is a serious offense, and most people who do so would argue they "didn't know" as their defense. I would get a good lawyer and prepare to go home. Best of luck to you.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Geez louise.

Be careful talking such nonsense here. Someone could read this and get themselves into a lot of trouble by listening to advice this like.

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

A social security card (or number) authorizes a person to WORK in the US. It does not authorize a person to BE A US CITIZEN OR LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENT.

the social security card is NOT by its definition an authorization to work in the US..only DHS can grant that authorization.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am the biggest idiot when it comes to immigration and even I know this is not true! Social Security Card means nothing at all! Its just a number, it certainly doesnt give you any legal standing!

Speaking to Laurel Scott tomorrow...pray for me yall and thanks!!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

A social security card DOES NOT REPLACE a green card.

A green card (legal permanent residency card) authorizes a person to legally LIVE IN THE US and authorizes the person to work. In order to work, the person MUST get a social security card (number).

A legal permanent resident (LPR) will ALWAYS need a green card as proof of his/her status.

SOCIAL SECURITY WILL NEVER EVER ASK ANYONE TO TEAR UP A GREEN CARD. ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE that "if you have a green card and receive SS #, you are asked to tear up the green card."

Actually a SSN doesn't authorize you to work. You must already be either a US citizen or have lawful work authorized immigration status to get a SSN or you have to show a valid non-work reason why you need one.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am the biggest idiot when it comes to immigration and even I know this is not true! Social Security Card means nothing at all! Its just a number, it certainly doesnt give you any legal standing!

Speaking to Laurel Scott tomorrow...pray for me yall and thanks!!

Good luck and let us know what he says, might help the ppl on the forum in future to guide someone in similar situation in future.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

A child automatically acquires US citizenship if one of the child's parents is a US citizen (including by naturalization), the child is under 18, the child is in the US in the custody of the US citizen parent, and the child was admitted to the US for immigration. This last one may be the "gotcha".

The OP was applying for adjustment of status, so he obviously didn't enter the US with an immigrant visa. He would be considered to have been admitted for immigration if his AOS application was approved. However, in order to meet the other requirements for automatic citizenship he would have needed to submit the AOS application before he was 18. It's too late for him to get automatic citizenship.

Funny thing is I was the one who disclosed to them that I have always thought I was a citizen, my I-130 was approved in 1997, my mum filled for me but she did not become a citizen until 2004 and my dad got his green card in 1989 but I do not know if he has since Naturalized. I cant find hm to confirm. Would they really deport me to a country Ive never been since age 7? I have an 11 year old USC child! Can I refuse to leave? As in will they keep me in detention? My whole family lives in the US, I am the only one who is not a USC the rest were born here! I showed them school records and copies of everyone's US passport except my dad. Their denial said they could not verify my claim that my dad was a citizen, does that mean he isnt or they just cant be bothered to check?

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Agree with your post aside from this part.

You can be issued a SSN and not be authorized to work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.