Obama 2012

Captain Ewok - Your Moderators for OT Need to be Replaced

175 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No. What IS deeply concerning is the thinly veiled racism which emanates from certain individuals.

For someone who is so concerned with dragging the good name of VJ down, this thread is very ironic.

You know what I would like? I would like the opportunity to post numerous threads in the Site Discussion forum about how certain members should excuse themselves from posting on VJ because of the offensive nature of their comments. That's what I would like. :)

I'm sure the moderators have their own private forum in which they do this. Most boards do...

You are entitled to your own opinions and ideas that disturb you Krikit, however you are not entitled to moderate based on that. You are to adhere to a set guideline put forth by Ewok. Believe me, I know. I have spoken with him a couple of times on this and it has got to stop the disturbing amount of favoritism and lack of consistency on these boards. My guess is that most of this moderation staff has never moderated a board like this before and the lack of experience is showing.

and while you may feel that this thread is invalid, let's not ignore the fact that some have been vocal with +1ing the OP. That should tell you something right there.

Edited by Paul and Vanessa

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Timeline

My guess is that most of this moderation staff has never moderated a board like this before and the lack of experience is showing.

Let me guess. This is yet another subject on which you are a self-taught scholar and expert? Is there anything you don't know or can't do?

I was only half-serious when I suggested you be appointed Super Moderator, but now I'm convinced you are right for the job!

buLPd.jpg

I'm sure the moderators have their own private forum in which they do this. Most boards do...

You are entitled to your own opinions and ideas that disturb you Krikit, however you are not entitled to moderate based on that. You are to adhere to a set guideline put forth by Ewok. Believe me, I know. I have spoken with him a couple of times on this and it has got to stop the disturbing amount of favoritism and lack of consistency on these boards. My guess is that most of this moderation staff has never moderated a board like this before and the lack of experience is showing.

and while you may feel that this thread is invalid, let's not ignore the fact that some have been vocal with +1ing the OP. That should tell you something right there.

Sorry, Paul. Krikit is about as fair as they come.

BTW, some of those +1's are just to stir the pot, sorta like a pat on the back before we throw you back to the lions. Carry on!

Edited by Some Old Guy

You know what I would like? I would like the opportunity to post numerous threads in the Site Discussion forum about how certain members should excuse themselves from posting on VJ because of the offensive nature of their comments. That's what I would like. :)

We all know that the members who would be the subject of those topics are exactly the ones who would pay them no mind, other than to scream (again) about how terribly everything is run and the shabby treatment they get. They would never just leave though, because they enjoy the drama too much to do that.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Who makes the determination of what is offensive? Each different Mod? The big furry one?blink.gif

The members.

You are entitled to your own opinions and ideas that disturb you Krikit, however you are not entitled to moderate based on that. You are to adhere to a set guideline put forth by Ewok.

If the moderators were not following the guidelines we would not be moderating. It is not I who is acting on emotion.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

We all know that the members who would be the subject of those topics are exactly the ones who would pay them no mind, other than to scream (again) about how terribly everything is run and the shabby treatment they get. They would never just leave though, because they enjoy the drama too much to do that.

So you tell people who complain about some of the content that the site is report driven, then openly show your contempt of those who do report? :rolleyes:

If the moderators were not following the guidelines we would not be moderating. It is not I who is acting on emotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75VmA7mZxxs

There are moderators who think that in the comfort of their own regional they can get away with misogyny, and another who tends to bait occasionally.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

In regard to posting potentially or actually inflammatory stuff, and in regard to reporting posts (or the people who post them) as disagreeable: How much of this is due to an attitude of "I've got no self-control, and I don't want any"?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

In regard to posting potentially or actually inflammatory stuff, and in regard to reporting posts (or the people who post them) as disagreeable: How much of this is due to an attitude of "I've got no self-control, and I don't want any"?

Please stay on topic or at least within the realm of reality.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is true and absolutely appalling.

Using the b-word should never be acceptable under any circumstances - and especially not by a moderator. To say that the use of the word is acceptable because the target is an odious ex-wife does not really cut it; after all, it would be completely unacceptable if one were to use the n-word to refer to an odious ex-husband who happened to be black. Derogatory slurs are derogatory slurs, regardless of the target. They are words intended to dehumanize and/or demean groups of people and are clearly in violation of VJ TOS, except (apparently) when a moderator does it.

The b-word being b!tch? If so, really???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The b-word being b!tch? If so, really???

it was an ex-wife, so maybe it was "begone"

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

The members.

Wow. There are so many personalities on this site and I am sure almost anything said can be construed as offensive at any given time. I find a lot offensive stuff but realize that it is because I just think differently. I don't hit the report button except very rarely and that in the regional forum and even there rarely. I know that in OT and P&R we are allowed a bit more leeway and also that we should leave it there in those forums as those subjects can be explosive.

Saying this then are the mods changing what is a TOS violation over time? Is each mod allowed to interpret the TOS in their own way? Can they be having a bad day and decide to term TOS violations differently? Do mods have favorites here and they will term TOS violations when those certain faves hit the button to report even when usually they will not do so on us regular folks?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

We have online chats every month or so. I will make sure this topic is on the table next time and that we have a Q&A where our team will discuss certain "what if's" and I can help ensure the team is all on the same page. I doubt every decision by mods or myself will ever be perfect but I know that everyone at least attempts to make the right calls.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Ewok - IMO you are never going to get a handle on this unless you do three things:

1. Add more moderators - specifically at least two for each upper forum.

2. Move the Regional Forums to the upper area (as those forums have become areas for immigration advice) and moderate those forums individually.

2. Create a separate "looser" TOS for the "recreational forums".

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.