Obama 2012

Captain Ewok - Your Moderators for OT Need to be Replaced

175 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
internet-serious-business-cat.jpg

02-date forgotten-2008: met online playing a game called lineage 2

06-17-2009: met in person for the first time!

06-26-2009: proposal <3

10-6-2009 through 11-3-2009: lived together for a month

03-24-2010 through 03-30-2010: traveled to meet his family

06-16-2010: started printing paperwork for I-129F package

06-25-2010: mailed off the I-129F package!!!

07-06-2010: NOA1 (according to the paper I hadn't got yet)

07-08-2010: check cashed

07-12-2010: hard copy NOA1 received in the mail

07-12-2010: touched

10-03-2010: touched

10-29-2010: NOA2!

11-08-2010: NVC received our petition

01-01-2011: called embassy as we never got packet 3. got "lost" in the mail. worst 2 months ever!

01-18-2011: medical! passed!

02-18-2011: INTERVIEW! APPROVED!!

03-02-2011: FLIGHT! POE: Dulles Airport!

03-09-2011: marriage certificate/license complete!

05-11-2011: mailed out AOS package (after a long fight getting the varicella vax done, and the medical paperwork completed)

05-13-2011: package delivered

08-11-2011: welcome to the united states notice! green card coming in 3 weeks!

What I find contemptable is members using VJ as a social networking service, and acting like they have a right to burn resources needed by those that actually have an immigration issue to deal with. Things like policing by proxy, mashing the report button to force the mods to run in circles mediating some drama that you started, and screaming bloody murder when your wishes aren't followed.

Brad, I think calling what people do in the OT forums "contemptible" is laying the blame at the wrong door.

First of all, these OT forums were created (and expanded) to allow for social networking. If they are such demons, why does Admin allow them to exist?

Secondly, the Regional Forums are located in the OT area, and these forums are probably used more for immigration advise than the upper forums. That was not the original intent of these forums, but such is the evolution of things. It has always been my opinion that this practice allows for much good information to get lost. But Admin must believe the social benefits outweigh this concern.

Most importantly, resources (I presume you mean moderators as well as bandwidth) would not be "burned" if the site were structured for its intended purpose. Every other immigration website with a large community uses individual forum moderation with a few global mods. The people who are experts by virtue of experience in their certain niche area moderate individual forums. This does not happen on VisaJourney, and as such the quality of immigration information has deteriorated. In reality we have four global mods running around trying to fix everything. And I don't know what you are trying to "fix", when this seems to be the way Admin likes it.

So don't lay the blame at the foot of the people who use these boards. You need to look to your Admin if you ever want quality information for people on an immigration journey.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Timeline

What I find contemptable is members using VJ as a social networking service, and acting like they have a right to burn resources needed by those that actually have an immigration issue to deal with.

VJ as a social networking service: If Admin wished to put an end to that today, he would. You appear to be (unsurprisingly) confusing your feelings for site policy.

As for burning resources: This is also something Admin can put an end to if he wished to. Unmoderate OT/PR and those resources free up yesterday. That he has not done so (and it has been asked by many over the years) speaks to site policy. Once again, you are conflating your personal feewings with actually site policy.

Funny, this is something you do all the time.

I'm not a member of the moderating team :lol: If I do it, others can report me. If you do it, people are going to think twice about reporting you because... the report will just go to you.

But hey, if what I do and say hurts your precious feewings so much, then I can't help it.

VJ as a social networking service: If Admin wished to put an end to that today, he would. You appear to be (unsurprisingly) confusing your feelings for site policy.

As for burning resources: This is also something Admin can put an end to if he wished to. Unmoderate OT/PR and those resources free up yesterday. That he has not done so (and it has been asked by many over the years) speaks to site policy. Once again, you are conflating your personal feewings with actually site policy.

I'm not a member of the moderating team :lol: If I do it, others can report me. If you do it, people are going to think twice about reporting you because... the report will just go to you.

But hey, if what I do and say hurts your precious feewings so much, then I can't help it.

AJ... fair and balanced :lol: Seriously AJ, considering the amount of complaining you do, your concern for the feelings of a mod is very much appreciated. Try not to worry about me too much though. I don't spend anywhere near the amount of time on the internet that you do, so I tend to take your jibes with a fair amount of good humor. I would have to take you more seriously to be bothered much. No danger of that.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

AJ... fair and balanced :lol:

AJ has never claimed to be fair and balanced, but in this I believe he is right.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

You know what I would like? I would like the opportunity to post numerous threads in the Site Discussion forum about how certain members should excuse themselves from posting on VJ because of the offensive nature of their comments. That's what I would like. :)

I think the mod team should have the ability to "vote off the island" one member every month. If this means I get voted off, so be it. It would be worth it because it would be really funny.

I think the mod team should have the ability to "vote off the island" one member every month. If this means I get voted off, so be it. It would be worth it because it would be really funny.

In the bonus round, can the membership vote to give some members immunity as well?

In the bonus round, can the membership vote to give some members immunity as well?

No. If you want to involve the membership, I'd rather have the membership nominate people for being kicked off the island by mods. Any member who gets more than 10 member nominations makes the list.

No. If you want to involve the membership, I'd rather have the membership nominate people for being kicked off the island by mods. Any member who gets more than 10 member nominations makes the list.

So, anybody with a dozen or so sock puppets could easily rig the list? :whistle:

So, anybody with a dozen or so sock puppets could easily rig the list? :whistle:

There are safeguards against that. You could only allow members who meet certain criteria (post count, longevity) to nominate. You could only allow members who have not been suspended in 6 months to nominate. And if those safeguards aren't sufficient and someone who doesn't belong on the list still slips through, it's no big deal because the moderators will have to vote on it for the final "vote off the island" decision.

Timeline

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No. What IS deeply concerning is the thinly veiled racism which emanates from certain individuals.

For someone who is so concerned with dragging the good name of VJ down, this thread is very ironic.

You know what I would like? I would like the opportunity to post numerous threads in the Site Discussion forum about how certain members should excuse themselves from posting on VJ because of the offensive nature of their comments. That's what I would like. :)

Who makes the determination of what is offensive? Each different Mod? The big furry one?blink.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
There are safeguards against that. You could only allow members who meet certain criteria (post count, longevity) to nominate. You could only allow members who have not been suspended in 6 months to nominate. And if those safeguards aren't sufficient and someone who doesn't belong on the list still slips through, it's no big deal because the moderators will have to vote on it for the final "vote off the island" decision.
And, should one of the qualified-to-nominate members slip up and make a nomination in public, it would be a violation of the TOS. :shocked: Note to Pooky: During the Super Bowl, I ate potato chips (regular) and ice cream (chocolate with chocolate chips) and drank orange-flavored store-brand Gatorade. The baby again drank milk, burp man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).