gmjdmj

Returned flight cost my husband his AOS

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

but provided that he left on Feb. 24, how in the world do they explain that he regularly went to his biometrics appointment 3 weeks later?

I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be for both of you, all I can do is send you my support and positive thoughts to get through this kafkian situation.

They're not saying he was gone for more than 3 weeks. They're simply saying he left the US. If you enter with a K1 visa and then leave the US for any period of time before getting AP then you can't adjust status based on the K1. Even a day trip into Canada or Mexico would be enough to disqualify you. It really is that simple.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The unfortunate thing in this whole situation is that it is your word against USCIS. My husband has never left the country...NOT for 1 day but now it is our job to prove that and with that comes more time and more money that was not our mistake to begin with. We have done everything that they have asked us to do to the point that David never even came to visit while the K-1 was in process just to not complicate things. I have spoken to our Congressman's office. There is nothing that they can do. I was told that the only way to get anything done with USCIS is to file paperwork and pay fees.

Edited by gmjdmj

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wouldn't he have a stamp on his passport showing that he left the country? I would say you contact the airlines first. Ask for a copy of the flight manifest. Be prepared for them not to cooperate. You may have to contact a lawyer and have a court order the airline to give you a copy of the flight manifest showing he was on that flight.

I would assume that if you hire a good lawyer that threatens the airline that you will file suit against them if the information is not provided, they may come around much quicker than having to go go through the courts. In any case, be prepared for a fight.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

They're not saying he was gone for more than 3 weeks. They're simply saying he left the US. If you enter with a K1 visa and then leave the US for any period of time before getting AP then you can't adjust status based on the K1. Even a day trip into Canada or Mexico would be enough to disqualify you. It really is that simple.

Oh yes, I concur that even one day in Tijuana (I live a few miles north of the border and I always wonder why I should want to go there) or to beautiful Vancouver would be enough to disqualify him from AOS. But then someone up there or down here would have to explain how an alien passed the border again and was readmitted, since the K1 visa is valid for one entry only. Isn't it called "secure borders, open doors"?

Additionally, if they argue that he left the country based on the cross-check of the passengers list, I suppose that his return flight was back home to England and not to a neighbor country for one day. Unless they are saying that he left the country in other circumstances and based on other evidence, but if this was the case the return ticket would be "innocent".

Anyway, this is just speculation which doesn't help anybody: the true thing is that if he has been in the US the whole time, someone clearly screwed up and now it's up to the immigrant to prove that he did not do what they say he did.

I renew my moral support and positive thoughts to solve this quickly.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

It would seem to me that the airline made a major screw up. It would also seem to me that if there are any additional fees to be paid the airline should reimburse you for those fees.

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Timeline

Hi Guys and Girls ,

You all forgetting one thing if your husband did not go to the airport in time to check in then his seat will be offered to other customers as cancellation.

Timeline

This is interesting, seeing as return flights seem to cost a lot less than one way!

I guess it would be better to cancel the flight ticket after arriving in the US?

Start of relationship

??/07/2008 - A random Skype message came through to me from an American girl

14/02/2009 - After months of talking, the American girl flew over to me - I knew we were meant to be

18/08/2009 - I proposed to her on Brighton Beach, UK

K1 Journey

15/07/2010 - We finally put in the i129f application - after shortly considering me going there on VWP, marrying and trying to Adjust Status, but was too risky

03/01/2011 - NOA2 on the day Dawn returned to NY after spending Christmas with me

10/02/2011 - I visited NY for 3 weeks (let this hold up the K1 process)

28/02/2011 - Medical

29/03/2011 - K1 Interview at London Embassy - Visa granted!

01/04/2011 - Visa in hand

Next Stage

03/05/2011 - POE in JFK - can't wait!

04/06/2011 - Our Wedding Day :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is correct. The airline probably sold the seat to a standby passenger and forgot to update their passenger manifest. Unfortunately, if the airline says he boarded that flight then, as far as USCIS is concerned, he boarded that flight.

I think the best place to start is by contacting the airline. Perhaps if they can confirm that the seat was sold to someone else then an appeal or petition to reopen might be filed on that basis.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a round trip ticket backfiring on someone. It really sucks. :angry:

This is the second time I've seen. Happened to another couple and they needed to prove he didn't leave the country.

Does your passport have a chip in it? Are you able to get a letter from your consulate or somewhere stating what flights are recorded on it? Or can you contact the airline for a confirmation that he DIDN'T board the flight?

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I have read ONE OTHER CASE about this, here on VJ - with the exact same 'ding' on AOS.

IMO, it's possible to 'overcome this' - but you've got some serious leg-work to do.

Whilst USCIS thinks he's left the country, it really is up to them to prove that he did or did not leave.

They've done no work to prove that he left.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

If you congressman won't do a thing, then call a senator. Maybe your senator will have more interest. It seems pretty clear that his passport will have evidence of him not leaving on the date indicated by USCIS. You have now seen that the people at our immigration services are not the brightest bulbs in the box. :thumbs:

The unfortunate thing in this whole situation is that it is your word against USCIS. My husband has never left the country...NOT for 1 day but now it is our job to prove that and with that comes more time and more money that was not our mistake to begin with. We have done everything that they have asked us to do to the point that David never even came to visit while the K-1 was in process just to not complicate things. I have spoken to our Congressman's office. There is nothing that they can do. I was told that the only way to get anything done with USCIS is to file paperwork and pay fees.

Here is a link http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/264430-update-on-my-weird-case-1/ to the other couple who is in the same situation as you and your husband. Maybe you'll can compare notes to see how and what trigger suchas response from USCIS.

Good luck.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
If you congressman won't do a thing, then call a senator. Maybe your senator will have more interest. It seems pretty clear that his passport will have evidence of him not leaving on the date indicated by USCIS. You have now seen that the people at our immigration services are not the brightest bulbs in the box.

A Senator IS a Congressman. CONGRESS is the group of Senators and The House of Representatives.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-us-senator-and-a-us-representative.htm

Edited by Rob and Jill

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Timeline

This is interesting, seeing as return flights seem to cost a lot less than one way!

I guess it would be better to cancel the flight ticket after arriving in the US?

Yes that would be the best option.

In that way you can ask for a cancellation letter or receipt, which would have your flight details on it.

Then you can add the cancellation letter to your AOS

Edited by Gabriell

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline

gmjdmj,

I'm so sorry for you guys and the trouble you have to go through :bonk: I really wish you guys all the best!! Your story makes me a little nervous, too, because we are about to send off our AOS forms in the next days and I also had a roundtrip-ticket when I came here in April and I did not cancel the return flight either.. Hopefully this won't happen to us too, I'm honestly a bit scared now :/

AOS

08/10/10 - mailed AOS/EAD/AP-package

08/13/10 - package delivered in Chicago

08/20/10 - received USCIS text messages/emails regarding acceptance AOS/EAD/AP

08/23/10 - received 3 NOA1 hardcopies

08/30/10 - all 3 touched

09/07/10 - received Biometrics letter

09/14/10 - received text msg/email - AOS application transferred to CSC

09/15/10 - AOS application touched

09/21/10 - AOS application transferred to "a USCIS office"

09/29/10 - Biometrics

09/30/10 - all 3 applications touched

10/01/10 - EAD card production ordered/AP approved

10/08/10 - AP received

10/12/10 - EAD card received

12/07/10 - AOS approved/Card production ordered

12/14/10 - received Welcome Notice in mail

gmjdmj,

I'm so sorry for you guys and the trouble you have to go through :bonk: I really wish you guys all the best!! Your story makes me a little nervous, too, because we are about to send off our AOS forms in the next days and I also had a roundtrip-ticket when I came here in April and I did not cancel the return flight either.. Hopefully this won't happen to us too, I'm honestly a bit scared now :/

Cancel your ticket before sending it! Better to wait a few days to do this and send it out then go through the living hell that these poor people are now in :/

For you the original poster: What airline did he use? If you want, I can clack around and find some actual humans at that airline you can contact with respect to obtaining an actual letter stating he never left.

Also-is there any paper evidence of him still being with you? Places he's visited, appointments he's had, car rentals in his name-anything?? I'd round up all of that too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.