Captain Ewok

FAQs: Forms I-693 and DS-3025

458 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My wife just came to US on K-3 visa and we are in the process of filling out application for her adjustment of status. One of the things that we are trying to do is figure out this whole I-693 issue. She has had her medical exam and brought with her copy of DS-3025 form. I just got done talking to a lady in the Dr. Arnold's office. She asked me to mail them information about my wife, copy of form DS-3025, and first page of form I-693 signed and dated. In return she said that they would send me back sealed envelope and copy of contains the sealed envelope. My question is what do I do with the sealed envelope? Do I have to send the sealed envelope containing form I-693 with my I-485 form or do I just send copy of I-693?

thanks,

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi folks!

i'm based here in ca... and i went to the doctor this afternoon first, to complete my vaccination ( i still lacked one tetanus shot) and second, to ask the doc to fill out the 1-693 form which will form part of the docs i need to submit for aos. (i did bring to the clinic ds 3025 issued by the hospital back home where i had my medical)

it was a bit confusing coz the doctor initially refused to sign part 5, arguing that he didnt conduct the full medical, and therefore could not sign the certification part. i showed him the i-693 instructions, stipulating that k3 visa holders filing aos within one year of overseas medical exam dont need full medical, but we do need a civil surgeon to complete the vaccination part of part 2 and to sign part 5 or the certification.

he finally signed part five but he edited the text, putting instead, completed tetanus injection, in place of examination.

would this create a problem for me?

should i seek another doctor to fill out the i-693 before sending the package?

would appreciate your two cents worth on the topic.

thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Yes, I am pretty sure this doctor tried to make me pay the full price... I will call a bunch of them and hopefully find a cheap one in Alaska..

About TB and the TST test, I send a email to CDC and they told me that K1 don't need to take the TST test unless they have been in the US for more than one year. Has anyone heard about that??

I read what they say on I-693 form: "If you are applying for adjustment of status at least one year after your first admission to the United States as a refugee or as a "K" or "V" nonimmigrant visa holder, see Questions 1-3 in Section III, Frequently Asked Questions, before proceeding any further." And when you go see the questions in section 3, it is said:

"What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical exam overseas?

If you were admitted as:

A. K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e), or as a

B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen, and

C. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then-

You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination.

a. You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination.

b. You will, however, be required to complete Part 1, Information about you, and submit the vaccination section of Part 2 with your adjustment of status application. A designated civil surgeon must complete the vaccination section and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification."

So, does that apply to any K1 or only the ones that are "applying for adjustment of status at least one year after your first admission to the United States"??

If it means that only the second have to have the parts 1, 2 and 5 filled out by a doctor, then the other K1, who arrived less than one year ago and who had a med examination before entering the US, don't have to even bother filling the form and just have to show a proof of vaccination like DS3025??

What do you think??

Faustine

It looks like to me that if you've been in the States more than a year, than obviously your exam in the foreign country to get here was done more than a year ago, so the foreign exam is no longer valid and a new medical exam would need to be done. But I'm betting that the majority of K-1, K-3 visa holders are NOT waiting that long to submit their AOS (a year after entry is a long time!).

An I-693 does need to be done... just fill in parts 1, 2 and 5 (doctor does some of it) of the I-693. The Civil Surgeon should be able to transcribe the stuff from the DS3025. The forms changed, so you've got to follow the new directions.

AOS & getting the SSN & the I-693

6/13/08 Applied for SSN for David ----- TRIP 1; 6/23/08 Went back to SSA 'cuz the person didn't pc all documents (rec'd letter from them) ----- TRIP 2

7/2/08 Received David's health insurance cards! Yay!

7/3/08 Went back to SSA; they said come back 7/9 if he still hasn't received it ----- TRIP 3

7/8/08 Got list of vaccines he still needed from CS by fax/phone; tested for immunity to MMR (only vaccine still needed) at our family dr

7/9 & 7/10/08 Went back to SSA, card still not received - Denied opportunity to apply for replacement ----- TRIP 4; Went back to SSA again to apply for a replacement card - Talked to a supervisor this time, POE people entered his last name incorrectly ----- TRIP 5; went to get David's ID thru the State, denied - instructions wrong on website; measles test inconclusive, another test needed; requested new lease

7/14/08 SSA called me in regards to problems at local SSA office

7/15/08 INFOPASS appt to fix POE name input error and then went to airport to fix POE name error

7/17/08 Received SSN card in mail and went to get state ID

7/21/08 State ID received in the mail and tested again for measles immunity

7/29/08 MMR shot #2 given and dropped off papers at Civil Surgeon (CS)

7/31/08 Picked up I-693, completed by local CS, (I paid $25, don't be fooled)

8/3 - 8/6/08 Worked on forms I-485, G-325A, I-864, I-765 and I-131; sent to Chicago - YESSS!

8/11/08 NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP; 9/2/08 Transfered to CSC; 9/4/08 Biometrics

10/24/08 Rec'd AP; 10/27/08 Rec'd EAD; 11/24/08 Rec'd GC

Timeline
An I-693 does need to be done... just fill in parts 1, 2 and 5 (doctor does some of it) of the I-693. The Civil Surgeon should be able to transcribe the stuff from the DS3025. The forms changed, so you've got to follow the new directions.

My bad! I meant to say, part 1, part 2 number 5 and part 5. That's it. You only need to fill in part 1, but don't sign the paper until you are with the Civil Surgeon.

6/13/08 Applied for SSN for David ----- TRIP 1; 6/23/08 Went back to SSA 'cuz the person didn't pc all documents (rec'd letter from them) ----- TRIP 2

7/3/08 Went back to SSA; they said come back 7/9 if he still hasn't received it ----- TRIP 3

7/8/08 Got list of vaccines he still needed from CS by fax/phone; tested for immunity to MMR (only vaccine still needed) at our family dr

7/9 & 7/10/08 Went back to SSA, card still not received - Denied opportunity to apply for replacement ----- TRIP 4; Went back to SSA again to apply for a replacement card - Talked to a supervisor this time, POE people entered his last name incorrectly ----- TRIP 5; went to get David's ID thru the State, denied - instructions wrong on website; measles test inconclusive, another test needed; requested new lease

7/15/08 INFOPASS appt to fix POE name input error and then went to airport to fix POE name error

8/3 - 8/6/08 Worked on forms I-485, G-325A, I-864, I-765 and I-131; sent to Chicago - YESSS!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thought I'd share my bit on this. I've called 3 USCIS doctors close to my area, Houston TX, arguing that all I need is to complete my shots, as a full medical is not required since I have done this prior to my entry in the US. Despite of USCIS instructions 2 of them said the doctor will not sign the form unless they conduct the full medical. For a small fee, of course. I finally got tired of arguing and made an appointment to see one with a reasonable fee that will update my shots on the form. I got a good feeling about this one, at least his fees are not up to the roof.

But I have a question bothering me...it is really all about money isn't it?

B)

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Thought I'd share my bit on this. I've called 3 USCIS doctors close to my area, Houston TX, arguing that all I need is to complete my shots, as a full medical is not required since I have done this prior to my entry in the US. Despite of USCIS instructions 2 of them said the doctor will not sign the form unless they conduct the full medical. For a small fee, of course. I finally got tired of arguing and made an appointment to see one with a reasonable fee that will update my shots on the form. I got a good feeling about this one, at least his fees are not up to the roof.

But I have a question bothering me...it is really all about money isn't it?

B)

Right! But like mine, i went to the public city health department and got a shot and it was for free for FREE for FREE!

and let doctor arnold from texas to update my overseas vaccination record to the I693 for only $20.00 ship back included.

Now, my AOS was already in the California Service Center to expedite. noooooooooooo RFE! if you want, i can send you my AOS checklist for your guide and comparison of your actual checklist.

AOS/EAD

o5-29-08--SENT THE AOS PACKAGE TO USCIS

o5-31-08--Item was delivered at 5:35 AM in CHICAGO, IL 60680.

o6-04-08--USCIS recieved the AOS and EAD package

o6-10-08--AOS and EAD NOA date

o6-14-08--Recieved a AOS and EAD notice for Biometric on June 24, 2008

o6-24-08--AOS and EAD Biometrics done today! @ 9:00 a.m in West Palm Fl.

o6-24-08--AOS and EAD touch!

o6-25-08--AOS and EAD touch!

o7-08-08--AOS case transfered to CSC

o7-11-08--AOS case pending at CSC

o8-07-08--EAD Card Production Ordered today!CRIS

o8-14-08--AOS touched

o8-15-08--Email from CRIS Welcoming for a new resident in the USA

o8-15-08--Email from CRIS EAD notice approval

o8-15-08--EAD card arrived in the mail, EAD was approved in 70 days.

o8-18-08--Received hard copy of WELCOME LETTER as a new resident in the USA

o8-25-08--GREEN CARD Card Production Ordered

o8-29-08--AOS Approved! without Interview

o9-02-08--Received GREEN CARD with out INTERVIEW, with out RFE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks kjw! :thumbs: I have sorted out by going to this doc yesterday. He was nice and although I had to pay a little, I got blood tests for antibodies and should be ready for the Hep B shot on friday. I wanted to get this done and over with to be able to finish my application for AOS.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD

Great link that explains this stuff pretty clearly... what's necessary in terms of vaccines and TB test requirement since the form has changed (especially since today is 8/1/08 - all new requirements re: the test and vaccines go into effect today!).

The I-693 forms were revised on 06/05/08. New info. Directions to the new I-693 link below.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693instr.pdf

Here's the form itself.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693.pdf

Edited by Shannon and David

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline
Hi all,pls would appreciate if anyone can give me the best info and how to handle vaccination with respect to AOS.

I did my medicals in Uk and the vaccines i had were MMR and TD.I had chickenpox in the past and the doctor noted it.I have been going through various post in the AOS forum and i am not very clear on how i should handle the vaccination issue.

I never had the TB skin test though had Chest x-ray and have noticed a few making reference to TB skin test. [...]

Bumping this, as it's related to my query. Reading this thread is the first I've seen of the TB skin test being mentioned. Apparently, the new changes, requiring it, came into effect May 1st 2008:

Q: When did the new TB requirements become effective?

The new TB testing and treatment requirements became effective on May 1, 2008. However, CDC allowed a 30 day grace period. Therefore, any medical exam that takes place on or after June 1, 2008 must be performed in accordance with the new TB testing requirements.

That, to me, suggests it should have been carried out at the medical I had in London in July, but I recall nothing of the sort. Will I need to get a TB skin test done prior to filing for AOS?

Many thanks

Stu

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Timeline
Hi all,pls would appreciate if anyone can give me the best info and how to handle vaccination with respect to AOS.

I did my medicals in Uk and the vaccines i had were MMR and TD.I had chickenpox in the past and the doctor noted it.I have been going through various post in the AOS forum and i am not very clear on how i should handle the vaccination issue.

I never had the TB skin test though had Chest x-ray and have noticed a few making reference to TB skin test. [...]

Bumping this, as it's related to my query. Reading this thread is the first I've seen of the TB skin test being mentioned. Apparently, the new changes, requiring it, came into effect May 1st 2008:

Q: When did the new TB requirements become effective?

The new TB testing and treatment requirements became effective on May 1, 2008. However, CDC allowed a 30 day grace period. Therefore, any medical exam that takes place on or after June 1, 2008 must be performed in accordance with the new TB testing requirements.

That, to me, suggests it should have been carried out at the medical I had in London in July, but I recall nothing of the sort. Will I need to get a TB skin test done prior to filing for AOS?

Many thanks

Stu

Hi...

Here's some info from the USCIS website....

Date of Medical Exam

Do I have to submit the revised Form I-693?

Does the medical exam have to be done in accordance with the new TB requirements?

Do I have to receive the new vaccines (if age appropriate?)

Before June 1, 2008

No

No

No

June 1 – July 31, 2008

Yes Edition dates 4/2/08 and 6/5/08 are acceptable

Yes

No

On or after Aug. 1, 2008

Yes - must submit Edition date 6/5/08

Yes

Yes

Here's the link from where I got it...

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD

So, it does indeed look like, since you had your medical in July, you need to take the new TB test. It's listed on the above link. Good luck! :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Thanks for the reply. Pretty annoying they didn't do the TB test in the medical in London, given the new requirements, if that's the case.

Ah well, these things are sent to try us :)

Stu

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Ah well, these things are sent to try us :)

Si man, and Go Hawks.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i just want to make things clear for me and my fiance with regards to the medical exam requirement upon filing the AOS. i already read the new TB guidleines by CDC as well..

i have no idea on this yet, i hope you can help us with some of our concerns...here i listed them..

ABOUT THE VACCINATION:

what will happen to the medical exam that we had at SLEC? will it be continued by a so called "civil surgeon" assigned by the USCIS once the beneficiary arrives in the u.s.? does that mean that our follow up vaccinations (the one started by SLEC) will have to be done in the u.s.? ( can i have a shot from some clinic here in the PI or i should continue it in the u.s.)

ABOUT THE NEW TB TEST REQUIREMENT:

does the new requirement for TB testing means that once the beneficiary arrives in the U.S. she/he will be required to take the TST no matter what.

with all these... how will i know the flow of the processing? WILL THE USCIS SEND ME A LETTER OF INSTRUCTION THAT I HAVE TO UNDERGO SUCH DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES? OR WILL I GET A NOTIFICATION AS SOON AS I ARRIVE AT THE POE?

------------------------

K-1

Jan 2008 - application was sent back to us due to mis sent to Chicago instead of California

Jan - sent application

Jun 27 - NOA2 by the mailbox!!! (found out that d 2nd touch was d approval..sweet!)

Jul 3 - NVC sent letter to petitioner

Jul 15 - confirmation letter received (tnk u my dear DHL)

Jul 17- 1st day - medical exam SLEC (on hold and waiting for it to be done successfully) July 31- PASSED!

Aug 28 - USEM interview date! (eto' na!) - PASSED - PINK SLIP ONLY!

Sept 26 - PAL departure - MNL-LAX

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Jan 30 2009 - AOS with EAD and AP submitted to Chi, IL

Feb 4 - check cleared

Feb 10 - AOS, EAD, AP NOA1 received!

Feb 19 - Biometric appointment letter received

Feb 28 - Biometrics schedule

Mar 28 - AP and interview invitation received by mail

Apr 2 - EAD card recieved

May 15 - Interview Schedule - APPROVED!

Jun 25 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED ON MAIL Dated June 16

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
i just want to make things clear for me and my fiance with regards to the medical exam requirement upon filing the AOS. i already read the new TB guidleines by CDC as well..

i have no idea on this yet, i hope you can help us with some of our concerns...here i listed them..

ABOUT THE VACCINATION:

what will happen to the medical exam that we had at SLEC? will it be continued by a so called "civil surgeon" assigned by the USCIS once the beneficiary arrives in the u.s.? does that mean that our follow up vaccinations (the one started by SLEC) will have to be done in the u.s.? ( can i have a shot from some clinic here in the PI or i should continue it in the u.s.)

with all these... how will i know the flow of the processing? WILL THE USCIS SEND ME A LETTER OF INSTRUCTION THAT I HAVE TO UNDERGO SUCH DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES? OR WILL I GET A NOTIFICATION AS SOON AS I ARRIVE AT THE POE?

I do not think USCIS will send you a notice about it. But here is what I did and did not do. I had my additional shots here in the US at a health center and it did not cost me anything. I did not submit I-693. I could not find any CS in our area that charges $50 or lower. They want to always do a full medical on me before they fill up the I-693. I just photocopied my DS-3025 from SLEC and the vaccination paper that I got from the health center and mailed that together with the other paperworks last June 19, 2008. I had my biometrics done last July 26, 2008. So far I have not received any RFE regarding my medical.

05/18/07 married

05/29/07 sent I-130s for me & my daughter at CSC

06/16/07 checks for I-130 cashed

06/19/07 sent I-129F not waiting for noa1 but with printed online copies of checks cashed

06/25/07 check for I-129f cashed

06/29/07 transferred I-129f to CSC

07/03/07 received noa1 in the mail for I-129f

10/31/07 approved K3 and my I-130 except for my daughter

11/05/07 received NOA2 in the mail

12/01/07 received mail from NVC/yey we got our case number

12/20/07 went to St. Lukes and had my early medical exam

01/30/08 schedule for medical

02/07/08 interview, approved!

02/12/08 visa pick-up/cfo

02/14/08 POE-LAX

06/19/08 AOS mailed thru USPS

06/22/08 AOS delivered to Chicago IL

06/28/08 check cashed

06/30/08 received NOA1 dated 06/25/08

07/26/08 biometrics appointment

09/09/08 received EAD card in the mail

12/03/08 received interview letter for Jan 21 2009

01/21/09 approved for conditional permanent residence

02/02/09 permanent residence card arrived in the mail

10/21/10 submit form to remove conditions

01/21/11 10 year gc received

03/05/12 mailed my N-400

03/06/12 received email that they have my N-400

04/05/12 biometrics

Timeline

FYI CHECK OUT NEW REGULATIONS !!!!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2112092

ABOUT THE VACCINATION:

I do not think USCIS will send you a notice about it. But here is what I did and did not do. I had my additional shots here in the US at a health center and it did not cost me anything. I did not submit I-693. I could not find any CS in our area that charges $50 or lower. They want to always do a full medical on me before they fill up the I-693. I just photocopied my DS-3025 from SLEC and the vaccination paper that I got from the health center and mailed that together with the other paperworks last June 19, 2008. I had my biometrics done last July 26, 2008. So far I have not received any RFE regarding my medical.

Visa I 130 for Step Daughter

Sept 2010-- Getting documents ready. sent BC out for translation.

March 1st 2012-- Sent documents to USCIS

June 15th 2012 EMAIL OF APPROVAL !!

Dec 15th 2012 -- Interview scheduled ( 1-23-2013)

Jan 9th 2013--Medical Exam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.