Captain Ewok

FAQs: Forms I-693 and DS-3025

458 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Quick question: The number one item on our list of items to bring for my husbands AOS interview (adjusting from K-1) is his I-693 medical exam in a sealed envelope. He, like everyone else, gave this to the IO when he arrived in the country last year.

Is this just a generic request that they ask everyone, or have they lost his medical exam? Should we bring something to the interview? I don't want to waste more money, but I also don't want to delay his approval.

Thank you. :)

:o

You got an interview! Congratulations!

Hmm. Good question. Technically, the medical was valid at time of submission so he shouldn't need to bring another. And it sounds like the request is generic. I hate to say this because you may attract spam, but maybe start a new thread to see if anyone else had this situation?

iagree.gif

Yeah! :D I was shocked when we got the notice because we haven't had any updates since April 3rd.

They also asked for court records for any arrests, which is not applicable because he's never been arrested. I'm hoping it's just a generic request and we'll bring all the other evidence. I asked the congressman's office to advise us, but thought maybe someone had the same issue recently.

I-129F

10/23/2006 - I-129F approved (97 days from CSC)

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

03/14/2007 - I-485 + I-765 sent

03/21/2007 - NOA1, Checks cashed

06/01/2007 - EAD card production e-mail received (74 days)

07/27/2007 - EAD RECEIVED (57 days after approval)

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

05/28/2008 - Received AOS Interview notice

07/10/2008 - AOS Interview-APPROVED pending fingerprints

09/22/2008 - GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

06/09/2010 - Check cashed

07/22/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

09/08/2010 - Card production e-mail

Yeah! :D I was shocked when we got the notice because we haven't had any updates since April 3rd.

They also asked for court records for any arrests, which is not applicable because he's never been arrested. I'm hoping it's just a generic request and we'll bring all the other evidence. I asked the congressman's office to advise us, but thought maybe someone had the same issue recently.

Oh. Well, in that case, I'd assume it's a generic request. But bring along their rules just in case. post-21394-1212694190.gif

:lol:

iagree.gif

Good thinking! We'll definitely do that. And if they do request a full medical, it looks like some people were successful in getting a copy from the US embassy in their home country, so we'll do that.

Whew...I feel better! One month and 4 days left to wait. :D

I-129F

10/23/2006 - I-129F approved (97 days from CSC)

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

03/14/2007 - I-485 + I-765 sent

03/21/2007 - NOA1, Checks cashed

06/01/2007 - EAD card production e-mail received (74 days)

07/27/2007 - EAD RECEIVED (57 days after approval)

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

05/28/2008 - Received AOS Interview notice

07/10/2008 - AOS Interview-APPROVED pending fingerprints

09/22/2008 - GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

06/09/2010 - Check cashed

07/22/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

09/08/2010 - Card production e-mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi

I apoligize in advance because I'm sure the answer to my question is already answered somewhere but I want to make sure I understand everything...

I had my medical prior to my K1 interview in Paris and I gave the big brown enveloppe at my POE (Chicago).

So if I've correctly understood everything I don't need to submit an I-693a form with my AOS application.

I have a copy of my DS-3025. Do I need to submit that?

I-129F Sent : 2007-07-12

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-07-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-12-12

NVC Left : 2008-01-17

Packet 3 Received : 2008-02-01

Packet 4 Received : 2008-03-05

Interview Date : 2008-03-20

Visa Received : 2008-03-26

US Entry : 2008-05-04

Marriage : 2008-05-23

Timeline
Hi

I apoligize in advance because I'm sure the answer to my question is already answered somewhere but I want to make sure I understand everything...

I had my medical prior to my K1 interview in Paris and I gave the big brown enveloppe at my POE (Chicago).

So if I've correctly understood everything I don't need to submit an I-693a form with my AOS application.

I've just read on the I-693 instructions that eventhough I've had a medical for my K1 interview I need to see a civil surgeon and fill up that form:

"You will, however, be required to complete Part

1, Information about you, and submit the vaccination section of Part 2 with your adjustment of status application. A designated civil surgeon must complete the vaccination section and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's certification."

What should I do?

Timeline

Hi

I've just read on the I-693 instructions that eventhough I've had a medical for my K1 interview I need to see a civil surgeon and fill up that form:

1, Information about you, and submit the vaccination section of Part 2 with your adjustment of status application. A designated civil surgeon must complete the vaccination section and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's certification."

What should I do?

No, you don't need to fill out that form. That's only for people whose vaccinations weren't completed. Just send them a copy of the DS-3025 and you'll be fine. :)

Explanation:

Some countries allow K non-immigrant visa applicants to defer their vaccinations until after they arrive in the U.S., which is why they request the I-693a..... because the DS-3025 was not a part of the package handed in at the POE. Some countries require that the vaccinations be completed as part of the visa process. Therefore, the DS-3025 IS included in the package and an I-693a vaccination supplement is not required.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline
Hi

What should I do?

No, you don't need to fill out that form. That's only for people whose vaccinations weren't completed. Just send them a copy of the DS-3025 and you'll be fine. :)

Explanation:

Some countries allow K non-immigrant visa applicants to defer their vaccinations until after they arrive in the U.S., which is why they request the I-693a..... because the DS-3025 was not a part of the package handed in at the POE. Some countries require that the vaccinations be completed as part of the visa process. Therefore, the DS-3025 IS included in the package and an I-693a vaccination supplement is not required.

As far as I'm aware, I693A still goes in the with the AOS package.

And it's not completed by the applicant, but by a Civil Surgeon in the US after the immigrant has arrived.

Vaccinations are NOT required at the consulate to issue a K1 visa because it's a non-immigrant visa. Only those persons holding an immigrant visa are required to be vaccinated in order to receive the visa in their passport.

This is why a US Civil Surgeon must certify to USCIS that a status adjustee has been vaccinated. If the adjustee was vaccinated by a Panel Physician in their home country, and they possess DS-3025 to prove the innoculations, then that information MAY be sufficient in the I485 packet. But some adjudicators prefer to see the I693A.

I693A should be submitted in the I485 packet by all K1 adjustees (c9) to avoid an RFE, as it is unknown if your brown envelope contains DS3025.

K1's should try to get a copy of DS3025 from the Panel Physician in their home country on medical exam day and bring it with them in their luggage. Most US Civil Surgeons will complete an I693A for a nominal fee. Easy peasy and no worries then about an RFE.

It should be noted that I693 and I693A have both been recently revised by USCIS.

Edited by rebeccajo

Some countries require the vaccinations to be completed prior to issuance of the K-1 visa; some countries do not. Canada is one of many who do. 99% of us who had our vaccinations completed and did not send in an I-693a were approved without an RFE because the completed vaccination information is in our packet.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Some countries require the vaccinations to be completed prior to issuance of the K-1 visa; some countries do not. Canada is one of many who do. 99% of us who had our vaccinations completed and did not send in an I-693a were approved without an RFE because the completed vaccination information is in our packet.

But the question came from a member from France.... :P

The UK is 'requiring' the vaccine also. At least the current Panel Physician with a consulate contract is requiring it. DOS does not require the vaccines. IMO the panel physicians are 'scamming' the applicants.

Edited by rebeccajo

Timeline

But the question came from a member from France.... :P

The UK is 'requiring' the vaccine also. At least the current Panel Physician with a consulate contract is requiring it. DOS does not require the vaccines. IMO the panel physicians are 'scamming' the applicants.

I did the complete visit, it was mandatory...

Vaccinations, X-rays, blood analysis.... I have a copy of my DS-3025 and I had everything in the brown enveloppe as far as I can tell.

I don't think I'll do the form. Many people here haven't sent it and had no problem, the VJ AOS guide doesn't mention it and this link on the USCIS website confirms that: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

caro006....

The link you give is generic info for adjustment of status; meaning other persons who might not have arrived on a K visa and had a medical performed by a panel physician. You'll note it does refer to form I693 and a US Civil Surgeon (when compiling this report) would also complete I693A.

I refer you to this more relevant link:

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...98ff060e759cf50

(I) Nonimmigrants . Except as provided in paragraphs (J) and (K), individuals applying for a nonimmigrant visa under any provision of section 101(a)(15) of the Act or for admission to the United States as a nonimmigrant, are not required to comply with section 212(a)(1)(A)(ii) of the Act relating to vaccinations.

(J) Special Considerations for K and V Nonimmigrants . The plain language in section 212(a)(1)(A)(ii) of the Act regarding the vaccination requirements refers to applicants for immigrant visas and for adjustment of status. Applicants for visas under section 101(a)(15)(K) or (V) of the Act are not applicants for immigrant visas at this stage of the process. DOS and USCIS have agreed that the required medical examination for K and V nonimmigrants outside of the United States will include the vaccination assessment described in section 212(a)(1)(A)(ii) of the Act. The vaccination assessment will be performed in anticipation of the adjustment of status application, to give the applicants the opportunity to retrieve the records for those vaccinations they have already received, while they are still abroad. Individuals in the United States applying for change of status to V will not be required to undergo a vaccination assessment in conjunction with their medical exam, but civil surgeons are not precluded from advising them about the vaccination requirements in anticipation of their adjustment of status application.

While some panel physicians may elect to indicate the vaccinations already received on the vaccination supplement, consular officers will not refuse the K or V visa and CBP officers will not refuse admission to a K or V nonimmigrant, solely because all of the vaccination requirements have not been met. When the panel physician's report indicates that the applicant lacks certain required vaccines, consular officers will attach a single-page addendum to Form DS-2053 (Formerly Form OF-157), Medical Examination for Immigrant or Refugee Applicant , and the accompanying worksheets, advising the applicant of the need to comply with the vaccination requirements upon the application for adjustment of status in the United States.

K) Vaccination Requirements for K and V Nonimmigrants Adjusting Status to That of Lawful Permanent Resident under Section 245 of the Act . In certain instances, K and V nonimmigrants are not required to repeat the original medical examination that was performed to obtain that nonimmigrant classification. See Chapter 23.3(d)(2). When this is the case, only the vaccination sign-off is required. The vaccination sign-off must have been done by a designated civil surgeon. If the applicant obtained a K or V nonimmigrant visa overseas, the medical exam report completed by the panel physician overseas, Form DS-2053 and accompanying worksheets, should already be in the alien’s A-File, if it was surrendered at the port-of-entry with the visa packet. Note that, in completing the vaccination sign-off, the designated civil surgeon may accept the vaccination supplement to Form DS-2053 completed by the panel physician overseas and proof of additional vaccines received following the applicant's admission to the United States. If the applicant was granted a change of status to V in the United States under section 214(o) of the Act, the medical exam report completed by the civil surgeon should be in the A-file created at the time that the change of status was initially granted. The applicant will need to return to the civil surgeon for the vaccination sign-off. If, however, the requirements of Chapter 23.3(d)(2) have not been met, a new medical examination is required, including the vaccination assessment specified under section 212(a)(1)(A)(ii) of the Act.

Timeline

So what do you say?

I'm really confused now... Why doesn't the VJ guide to AOS mention that form?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.