axmg

I want to notify uscis about my divorce but my attorney advised me otherwise

18 posts in this topic

My citizen husband filed for a divorce in January of 2017; he's dating another woman. We're not officially divorced yet (we live in PA). I just got news from the attorney who helped with my case that my application for 10-year green card has been approved and i should get the physical card in the mail within 60 days. Couple weeks ago, I found a new attorney who was going to help me with the waiver and we've been gathering evident to give to uscis that my marriage was legit. And she told me that she's very confident that my case would be approvable. But now that i got my 10-year green card, she said we don't have to file for waiver anymore. However, I think she should still help me notify uscis that my husband and I are getting a divorce so it'll be easier for me for when i apply for citizenship in couple of years but she told me to wait until i apply for citizenship. I don't get it. What should I do now? I still think I need to notify uscis after my divorce is finalized in May 2017. I don't want to get into trouble with uscis when I apply for citizenship or have my green card revoked because my marriage is legit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

you said you are not officially divorced so there is no use of noifying them now, also they granted you the GC, just wait for it to arrive and then you can do what you want, you will be able to apply for citizenship after 5 years not 3.

I don't say this too often here, but your lawyer is right. There is no obligation or reason to notify them of your divorce after ROC. When you eventually go for naturalization, you can include the divorce in there.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Thanks everyone! My husband doesn't want me to keep his last name after the divorce. So can i change my last name back to my maiden name after the divorce (after May this year)? because if I change my last name on driver's license and SSN card, I will have to change last name on the green card as well, I don't want to complicate things if not necessary. Or should I wait until I become a citizen? I'm very confused right now.

Filed: Timeline

What your husband wants doesn't matter. You have the decision to keep his last name or not. You are within your rights to keep the name and you shouldn't notify USCIS. Just list "divorced" when you apply for naturalization in 5 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hold up...he is divorcing you and already has a girlfriend and wants you to change your name??!! Ah NO!  If it were me I would say ok i will change it and keep his last name and hyphenate my maiden name with it!!!  Who does he think he is?  He has absolutely no legal or moral right to tell you that you have to change your name.  He does not own you.  Total control freak!  Sorry, but this really burns me up and I don't even know the guy.  I can't stand people who think they are entitled to run others lives.  :bonk::ranting:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

Not only you can keep the last name, you also can ask him for financial support since you're still under affidavit of support until you become US citizen. 

Hi, there is no need to notify USCIS. I got my 10 year green card on 2011 and we were separated around 2012 and officially divorced 2015, I'm currently waiting for my naturalization interview, I filed based on my 5 year residency and I'm changing my name back to my maiden since I'm currently still using my ex-husband name, you have an option of changing your name once you applied for citizenship. 

Once you filed you citizenship based on 5 years residency, you will just need to send your divorce decree together with you citizenship application. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hypothetical question here. Since she's getting divorced, she has to wait 5 years to apply for citizenship instead of 3. What if she marries another USC. Would she be able to file in 3?

Timeline:

Spoiler

K1 Visa Journey
09/21/15 I-129F Sent
09/23/15 I-129F Received
09/28/15 I-129F E-confirmation NOA1
10/03/15 I-129F Hard copy NOA1 - P1
10/27/15 I-129F E-confirmation NOA2
10/31/15 I-129F Hard copy NOA2 - P2
11/16/15 NVC received papers
11/18/15 NVC assigned case number
11/20/15 NVC status changed to "In Transit"
12/14/15 NVC status changed to "Ready" case at Guangzhou embassy in China
12/29/15 NVC status changed to "Administrative Processing"
1/1/16 Received P3
1/1/16 Sent back required P3 documents
1/27/16 Received P4
2/16/16 Scheduled Medical
2/22/16 Scheduled Interview - Approved!!!
2/23/16 NVC status changed to "Issued"
3/1/16 Passport with visa received in mail
4/20/16 Arrival at USA! :)

AOS:
5/28/16 Filed I-131, I-485, I-765 at Chicago lockbox
5/31/16 Date on I-131, I-485, I-765
6/14/16 NOA-1 I-797C received for I-485, I-765 and I-131 - no E-confirmation was received :(
6/28/16 Biometrics letter received
7/06/16 Biometrics appointment
7/26/16 All 3 receipt numbers finally show up at USCIS online case status check
8/17/16 EAD status changed to card is being produced, AP status changed to RFE
8/17/16 same day later in the evening both EAD status and AP status changed to Approved
8/19/16 EAD status changed - card was mailed
8/23/16 EAD/AP card delivered :dancing:

9/06/16 AOS approval in the mail received

9/10/16 Green Card received :)

ROC:

6/02/18 Filed I-751

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

i know in some states there is a fee paid for with the divorce papeh (as in NY state fee is $70)  to change your name back / check about this in PA

and like others said "you are allowed to keep his last name and doesn't matter at this point what he thinks or wants"

forget his wishes and take care of what you want but if you change back, and there is a fee, make him pay it

so sorry for your issues

5 years now to citizenship / it will go faster than you think

the reason some keep former spouse name is in matter of children / makes it a lot easier for schools and other issues

you do not mention any kids but i thought in case there is one, know this

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.