25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everyone! I looked for a similar question and just couldn't find anything that quite fit my current situation. I have a few questions regarding it.

I am a permanent resident in the United States. I have been living here since 2012 after getting married to an American Citizen on a K1 visa. Our marriage ultimately failed a little less than a year after I got my 10 year GC. We are not divorced yet, but we live in separate places. Although the marriage failed, we are still in good terms with each other. To a certain extent, her family is still fairly friendly towards me, and I do think they're great people. The only problem we have lies in the sponsorship.

When we got married, her mother was the co-sponsor since my former wife didn't meet the standards. She still doesn't. What's going on right now is that her mother is afraid I might drain her resources (I currently am a student but they provide me no money whatsoever and I do just fine). She obviously doesn't want the liability and doesn't want to go forward being obligated to be a sponsor of someone who no longer is part of her family (which is very understandable). We all understand that she can't get out of that contract until I become a citizen (which I intended on doing regardless), however, some other people in her family have been talking about alternative ways for her to get out of that contract. The only way I know it is because my ex wife told me.

Their ideas revolve around doing things to hurt my immigration status or ultimately place me in deportation/removal. I seriously don't believe they would do that to me, but I am still scared. The last thing I heard is that they suggested my ex to annul the marriage under the premise that it was entered in bad faith (which it wasn't and we both agree and know it wasn't) and then call immigration about it. I highly doubt my ex would ever do that to me, but it's a very unpleasant thought nonetheless.

Is there anything they can do to hurt me in that regard? Can they do anything that could place me in removal/deportation proceedings so I'd be obligated to abandon my status? If so, how can I protect myself from it?

Thanks for looking, and thanks for your help. Good luck to all in their own timelines!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone! I looked for a similar question and just couldn't find anything that quite fit my current situation. I have a few questions regarding it.

I am a permanent resident in the United States. I have been living here since 2012 after getting married to an American Citizen on a K1 visa. Our marriage ultimately failed a little less than a year after I got my 10 year GC. We are not divorced yet, but we live in separate places. Although the marriage failed, we are still in good terms with each other. To a certain extent, her family is still fairly friendly towards me, and I do think they're great people. The only problem we have lies in the sponsorship.

When we got married, her mother was the co-sponsor since my former wife didn't meet the standards. She still doesn't. What's going on right now is that her mother is afraid I might drain her resources (I currently am a student but they provide me no money whatsoever and I do just fine). She obviously doesn't want the liability and doesn't want to go forward being obligated to be a sponsor of someone who no longer is part of her family (which is very understandable). We all understand that she can't get out of that contract until I become a citizen (which I intended on doing regardless), however, some other people in her family have been talking about alternative ways for her to get out of that contract. The only way I know it is because my ex wife told me.

Their ideas revolve around doing things to hurt my immigration status or ultimately place me in deportation/removal. I seriously don't believe they would do that to me, but I am still scared. The last thing I heard is that they suggested my ex to annul the marriage under the premise that it was entered in bad faith (which it wasn't and we both agree and know it wasn't) and then call immigration about it. I highly doubt my ex would ever do that to me, but it's a very unpleasant thought nonetheless.

Is there anything they can do to hurt me in that regard? Can they do anything that could place me in removal/deportation proceedings so I'd be obligated to abandon my status? If so, how can I protect myself from it?

Thanks for looking, and thanks for your help. Good luck to all in their own timelines!

Not unique and immigration had heard it all before. They'd need proof of anything....just let themail think they can do something...ignore them.

You have a ten year green card...she is in for the ride nothing they can do.

STAY AWAY!! You MAY think your ex is your friend but shes ALWAYS gonna take her moms side.

All they can do is sit and wait till you do your citizenship. Had you been together you could have done in three years removing her obligation of sponsorship to you but now you are eligible at 5 years...and when you decide to apply after that...

I just dont get why people think they bring a person here and that makes them their property....

:rolleyes:

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks for the encouraging replies, y'all. I am feeling a lot better after reading this.

What her mom wants is to be free from the liability of the sponsorship. I won't be able to become a citizen until the beginning of 2018 though. I seriously do not think she'd do anything to harm me, but I'm uncomfortable with the possibility of them ever being able to do so. I just don't like knowing that there's room for them to do anything that can hurt me. Another quick question: is her fear of being financially hurt unfunded? I wouldn't do anything to hurt them, of course. But what would trigger me to become a financial burden on them?

And my ex and I are not friends, we're civil to each other. Same with her family.

There is nothing her family can do, and any efforts they make will ultimately fail.

Forget them and move on with your life.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

I hate how frequent these kind of situations are with Green Card holders and USC...It's either USC get some slave owner instincts going on or GC holder tries to ditch USC as soon as they get to States..I think people who genuinely just go through all these processes to get their status in the States legal just to be with their loved ones are in minority.. :huh2:

Very well said!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I wonder why your wife told you this. I think it unnecessary for her to have told you this which is basically, nonsense.

Not all family members will like your spouse or ex spouse, it is just pitiful for her to instigate things..like listen and run and tell..

Don't listen to this drama. There's nothing they can do to you so long as your hands are clean.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

You got your 10 year GC and you have nothing to fear of.
Like everyone said, stay away from that family.

Currently on H1B in New York City. Filed for AOS in Apr 2016.
02/05/2016 : Civil ceremony at New York city hall
04/02/2016 : Mailed in the AOS package (130, 485, 131, 765)
04/14/2016 : Chicago office cashed the checks
04/20/2016 : Receipts received by mail
05/09/2016 : Biometric appointment
07/01/2016 : EAD/AP approved
07/09/2016 : EAD/AP combo card received

USC wife and USC mother are the sponsors. You have the 10-year GC. Marriage just lasted until you can receive your immigration papers. Not sure if they legally can place your case on removal. It seems logical to do as your intent that you arrived with in US has failed. Good luck!

Even though you're cordial with your soon-to-be-ex, keep your distance. One time only, sit down and explain to your ex (who will hopefully explain it to her mother, the worry-wart) that you have no intention of doing anything at all that she'd possibly have to repay the government for (food stamps or any other federal assistance). Next year, 90 days before the anniversary of your entry into the U.S., you can apply for citizenship (if you want) under the 5-year rule. Then all her possible obligation ceases anyway.

You seem to be able to support yourself, without help from the MIL or your wife. Remind your wife of this, and tell her that there's not a thing they can do to get you booted out of the country.

And get on with your life, get a great job, move forward. Good luck!

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

The one thing I've have learn over the years is when things are sweet- they are sweet my friend, but when they turn soar on you --WATCH OUT!!!!

There are way too many variables in play here.... RUN for the hills and keep it moving they are no friends of yours and they only want to hurt you-not protect you!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.