Mineira

Finding a job in San Francisco

21 posts in this topic

Hello everyone :)

I got my GC back in 2014. After getting my GC I spent one year studying English to improve my writing and speaking skills. I didn't feel good about my English before but now I do :). I have been looking for a job here in SF. I have a bachelor's degree in Business from Brazil. Unfortunetely I have no experience and it is hard to get experience without a job. I have tried retail stores but I don't know why, but every time I tell them I am married to a woman they say they will call me but never do ( I really hope it's not because I'm married to a woman.) So I would like some advice from you. What could I do to improve my chances of getting an administrative job? Should I just say that I am married but hide the fact that it's with a woman, until I get an offer? I would hate to lie, but it's been hard on my wife having to provide for both of us.

Thank you all for your time :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I doubt that your sexuality has anything to do with it. Retail is a difficult monster with no experience. Many won't hire without it as the turnover is usually high. Administration is very picky as well especially if you're going to be speaking to the public. Some will discriminate that way unfortunately. Have you tried temp agencies? They're a good place to start

I doubt that your sexuality has anything to do with it. Retail is a difficult monster with no experience. Many won't hire without it as the turnover is usually high. Administration is very picky as well especially if you're going to be speaking to the public. Some will discriminate that way unfortunately. Have you tried temp agencies? They're a good place to start

I haven't tried temp agencies yet! Thank you for your advice. Will start looking for agencies here :)

Edited by Mineira

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

No clue if that's why or not but I'm not sure why you're even telling them. A job applicants relationship status isn't relevant at all. My advice, don't bring the subject up and don't answer if asked.

It is illegal to deny an applicant based on sexual orientation and it may be illegal to ask about ones marital status.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/inquiries_marital_status.cfm

Hello everyone :)

I got my GC back in 2014. After getting my GC I spent one year studying English to improve my writing and speaking skills. I didn't feel good about my English before but now I do :). I have been looking for a job here in SF. I have a bachelor's degree in Business from Brazil. Unfortunetely I have no experience and it is hard to get experience without a job. I have tried retail stores but I don't know why, but every time I tell them I am married to a woman they say they will call me but never do ( I really hope it's not because I'm married to a woman.) So I would like some advice from you. What could I do to improve my chances of getting an administrative job? Should I just say that I am married but hide the fact that it's with a woman, until I get an offer? I would hate to lie, but it's been hard on my wife having to provide for both of us.

Thank you all for your time :)

Contact the Trade Promotion bureau from your consulate and the local chamber of commerce - you have a bachelor's degree in Business, ask them if they have networking events coming up. I doubt you really want to work retail.

Visit the Caljobs center - take the workshop on job interview - volunteering personal information is usually not good; not because they care you are married to your wife, but simply because it is oversharing in the context of a professional interview.

Good luck!

Contact the Trade Promotion bureau from your consulate and the local chamber of commerce - you have a bachelor's degree in Business, ask them if they have networking events coming up. I doubt you really want to work retail.

Visit the Caljobs center - take the workshop on job interview - volunteering personal information is usually not good; not because they care you are married to your wife, but simply because it is oversharing in the context of a professional interview.

Good luck!

Will definitely do that. Thank you so much :)

No clue if that's why or not but I'm not sure why you're even telling them. A job applicants relationship status isn't relevant at all. My advice, don't bring the subject up and don't answer if asked.

It is illegal to deny an applicant based on sexual orientation and it may be illegal to ask about ones marital status.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/inquiries_marital_status.cfm

Won't bring the subject again. Thank you for your advice :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi !

I live in SoCal, I got the GC in March and SSN on April and also I am suffering every day looking for jobs. I have a Bachelor Degree in Business Administration and more 17 years working on commercial banking and customer service but I haven't had good luck yet.

The last 2 months I'm applying for for jobs EVERYDAY but I don't get anything.

I've got some interviews but that's all, and I feel so bad...Sometimes I wonder if coming was the best decision (I had a very good job in my country and stability, now I feel stressed without money, my husband is working 2 jobs and I am so frustrated about our situation).

I don't know what else I can do...

Mineira, I suggest you continue being honest, I feel your sexual option won't be a problem here in CA.

Wish you good luck on this long way !

Our Journey for IR1-CR1

(L) Wedding Dec 5th 2014

USCIS

March 02, 2015: We left I-130 on Fedex

March 04, 2015: UCSIS received our paperwork

March 06, 2015: We received the e mail of UCSIS Acceptance Confirmation (Nebraska)

July 22, 2015 : I-130 Approved (It took 140 days)

August 04, 2015: Mail from UCSIS saying they have sent our case to NVC

NVC

August 10, 2015: Case scanned by NVC

August 20, 2015: Case number and IIN received by phone

August 21, 2015: DS261 done and FEE Affidavit of Support paid (FEE Status: In Process)

August 24, 2015: Affidavit of Support FEE Status: PAID

August 25, 2015: Husband received Welcome package from NVC

September 03, 2015: IV Package FEE paid (FEE Status: In Process)

September 08, 2015: IV Package FEE Status: PAID

September 09, 2015: DS-260 Done

September 14, 2015: Package received by NVC (Scan Date)

October 08, 2015: Case Complete

November 09, 2015: Medical Test Done

November 25, 2015: Interview Date APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!! :D

January 05, 2016: Visa Issued

January 12, 2016: Visa in hand :dancing:

January 22, 2016: US$ 165 Fee paid

February 08, 2016: In my new home

POE: Los Angeles

March 07, 2016: Green Card received...but waiting for SSN

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'm not saying not to be honest. A persons marital status just isn't relevant during an interview. It has no impact on your ability to do the job. There's just no reason to mention it.

Maybe it's just a cultural difference in America to not discuss your personal life during an interview.

I encourage you both to use your spouse, friends and family to network. It's so difficult to get a job without networking here.

Hi !

I live in SoCal, I got the GC in March and SSN on April and also I am suffering every day looking for jobs. I have a Bachelor Degree in Business Administration and more 17 years working on commercial banking and customer service but I haven't had good luck yet.

The last 2 months I'm applying for for jobs EVERYDAY but I don't get anything.

I've got some interviews but that's all, and I feel so bad...Sometimes I wonder if coming was the best decision (I had a very good job in my country and stability, now I feel stressed without money, my husband is working 2 jobs and I am so frustrated about our situation).

I don't know what else I can do...

Mineira, I suggest you continue being honest, I feel your sexual option won't be a problem here in CA.

Wish you good luck on this long way !

I hear you. Sometimes I ask myself if coming was the right decision but love brought us here and I'm sure soon we will find a job :)

Best not to ever bring up your personal life in a job interview. Be curious about the company, about the job you're interviewing for. Ask questions.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Hey, I live in San Francisco and I know that same sex relationships are widely accepted and just a fact of life here so I'm surprised by your statements. Also, like someone else mentioned, maybe don't bring up your personal life in interviews. I've been to countless job interviews while looking for an internship and noone asked me anything about my personal life. When asked to talk about myself, I usually explain my work history and how I ended up in the U.S and back in school.

my thoughts for you - City College of San Francisco offers great classes at ridiculously low prices (by CA college standards anyway. They offer financial aid too.) and I took 2 years worth of GE classes there so I could work towards a bachelor's degree which I'm doing now. I had years of study behind me but decided getting a US certification would just make my life easier and I took it as an opportunity to study something I actually cared about, rather than the decision I made at 18. It's not fun and requires great sacrifice - I'm a mother and a wife, but I know it will pay off in the end.

CCSF also has a lot of short, vocational courses if that's more your thing, but either way, I think a US certification makes the job search just that much easier.

That's my 2 cents.

Edited by Miss M

Consulate: South Africa
Married: 2011-06-25
I-130 Sent: 2011-07-22
I-130 NOA1: 2011-07-25
I-130 Approved: 2011-07-27
Receive I-864 Package: 2011-11-10
Return Completed I-864: 2011-11-14
Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-10
Packet 3 Sent: 2011-11-10
Packet 4 Received: 2011-11-15
Interview Date: 2011-11-30
Interview Result: Approved
Visa Received: 2011-12-06
US Entry: 2012-01-11
Port of Entry: San Francisco

ROC I-751 Filed: 2013-12-19

NOA1: 2013-12-23

Biometrics: 2014-01-16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i dont think as SF is as 50%+ gay that would be a problem.. maybe you should go to a career center? american interviews are much differnt then other countries. also is your resume americanized? i had some brazilian friends and said in brazil you put on your resume your marital status and your picture and in america they dont do that.

also, it is very hard to get a good job without work experience.. unless you are a RN, or have a skill their are so many people with degrees here job experience trumps everything!!! try to get maybe an internship with a good company, sometimes it is good to have a solid 6 month internship on your resume and then you will show you have american work experience.

companies tend to hire for the right fit as well.. i had quite a few students in my grad class have a hard time finding a job or intern after graduation because i think american interviews are alot different... companies here always want to know what i do on my free time, and more or less get to know me but i never have been brought up marriage.

also, if it is retail look around at the other workers and the clothing and see if that store is the right 'fit'. more then not, they are looking for a certain style

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.