malucarlinha

Portuguese Husband's VWP 90 days almost up! HELP!

94 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You may disagree with me, but I would still argue that concurrent I-130/I-485 is pretty much filing out forms. I have seen it said here that you are a lawyer yourself, so naturally you would argue that a lawyer's service is needed.

I am not a lawyer and have not argued that a lawyer's services are needed. I've stated that, to think of filing AOS as nothing more than filling out forms is a prescription for failure. The case we're discussing right now is clear evidence of that. At the very least, AOS includes knowing whether you qualify, which forms to provide, how to fill them out correctly, which supporting documents are needed and how to prepare evidence of relationship and prepare for the interview.

Many can do this themselves with or without the help of Visa Journey but when a professional manages the process, they do more than "fill out forms". It's just a fact, not even arguable.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yeah I'm confused about what exactly the lawyer CAN do for my case. He said juet yesterday he won a case for a woman who had overstayed her visa waiver for five years and had married an american.... but how could he have done that if theyrr denying the applications outrright?

The Brazilian case was not a VWP case. I have no doubt the attorney could be successful in a visa overstay case. Yours would be a VWP overstay and it appears there has been a recent drastic change in how you kind of case is handled. Make sure the attorney is aware of the current conditions regarding your specific situation before hiring them.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Yeah I'm confused about what exactly the lawyer CAN do for my case. He said juet yesterday he won a case for a woman who had overstayed her visa waiver for five years and had married an american.... but how could he have done that if theyrr denying the applications outrright?

He may have done it before the new immigration reforms on VWP over-stayers went into effect recently.

From what I've read so far, the new laws on VWP were implemented this year (few months ago).

Which is a complete different ball game now that some are facing deportation because they overstay their VWP.

Make sure your lawyer is aware of the changes before giving him any kind of money.

That's why I suggested you can go to the appointment if you wish.

Just keep us posted.

Wish you the best!

10/21/2010 (00): AOS package sent via express mail

10/22/2010 (01): AOS received by USCIS

10/28/2010 (07): NOA email notification for all the forms

11/05/2010 (15): Biometrics letter received for 11/30/2010

11/15/2010 (25): Early biometrics walk-in (successful)/Touched on all forms

12/30/2010 (70): AP approved

01/03/2011 (74): EAD and AP touched/EAD card production ordered

01/07/2011 (78): AP in the mail

01/10/2011 (81): Interview letter received for 02/09/2011

01/11/2011 (82): EAD in the mail

02/09/2011 (111): AOS Interview (Approved!!!)/Card production ordered (email)

02/18/2011 (120): GC in hand! (It's actually green lol)

Filed: Country:
Timeline
He may have done it before the new immigration reforms on VWP over-stayers went into effect recently.

From what I've read so far, the new laws on VWP were implemented this year (few months ago).

Which is a complete different ball game now that some are facing deportation because they overstay their VWP.

Make sure your lawyer is aware of the changes before giving him any kind of money.

It's not any new law, it a case of USCIS changed the way they handle VWP Overstays and the Circuit Court agreed that they don't have jurisdiction to even hear an appeal based on the fact that VWP entrants waive any right to appeal USCIS decisions.

That's why I said what's the point of having a new [however valid] angle to argue when the Circuit Court has already said they can't hear the appeal or a petition to re-open the case because they don't have jurisdiction.

In my opinion.. The risk is there that adjusting status from VWP will result in deportation and LOADS of heartache. However, if he leaves soon, and you guys file for CR-1 then there will only be a little bit of heartache and perhaps 8-10 months of seperation. As you stated, you have known eachother FOREVER and you were seperated for a few months at a time until you discovered your attatchment to eachother, this will be a small wait compared to the rest of your lives together!

I would go with the safest route.. also, you will then have saved $2500 in attorneys fees!

Hope whatever decision you makes works out for you!

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: Timeline

In my opinion.. The risk is there that adjusting status from VWP will result in deportation and LOADS of heartache. However, if he leaves soon, and you guys file for CR-1 then there will only be a little bit of heartache and perhaps 8-10 months of seperation. As you stated, you have known eachother FOREVER and you were seperated for a few months at a time until you discovered your attatchment to eachother, this will be a small wait compared to the rest of your lives together!

I would go with the safest route.. also, you will then have saved $2500 in attorneys fees!

Hope whatever decision you makes works out for you!

$2500 saved in attorney fees, can be used for airfare to see each other.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The AoS VWP route is confused, if you asked a few months ago you would have got a very different response.

And being in CA you are in the worst location.

It has gone from a very low risk strategy to medium/high.

None of us can tell you what to do, we do not know your risk tolerance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

As you posted in this area I'm sure you're aware that you can't apply for him to adjust his status from within the US.

If the VWP wasn't ending so soon you would be fine, but because it is you can't possibly get them to receive and process your file in time and your AOS with either be put on indefinite hold, or denied outright.

You need to file the I-130 and he will leave the US to process a CR-1 visa while he is in his home country.

** moved from "K3 Process & Procedures" to "CR-1/IR-1 Process & Procedures" as the K3 visa is no longer available **

I honestly believe that you have a problem with people who try to adjust status who overstayed when using the visa waiver program. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion or disliking what has been called "adjustment express" but to answer a legitimate query in this way was quite irresponsible. Its one thing to offer advise based on the current climate but quite another to respond in the way that you did.

You gave terrible advise in this post.

There are many who have successfully adjusted on the VWP. That doesnt mean that every one will be able to successfully adjust but there are many who have been able to adjust. Yes it depends on which district you live in, whether there was an immigration memo, whether you feel like rolling the dice, whether you prayed hard enough, whether you...you get the picture? But ultimately we should give people the advise they want without inventing carte blanche rules that do not exist yet. (Unless you have the memo that we are all waiting for?)

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I honestly believe that you have a problem with people who try to adjust status who overstayed when using the visa waiver program. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion or disliking what has been called "adjustment express" but to answer a legitimate query in this way was quite irresponsible. Its one thing to offer advise based on the current climate but quite another to respond in the way that you did.

You gave terrible advise in this post.

There are many who have successfully adjusted on the VWP. That doesnt mean that every one will be able to successfully adjust but there are many who have been able to adjust. Yes it depends on which district you live in, whether there was an immigration memo, whether you feel like rolling the dice, whether you prayed hard enough, whether you...you get the picture? But ultimately we should give people the advise they want without inventing carte blanche rules that do not exist yet. (Unless you have the memo that we are all waiting for?)

I don't know what your problem is. There was nothing wrong with the advice. I told the truth.

The OP posted in the K3 forum hence my first sentence. I then clarified and said "If the VWP wasn't ending so soon you would be fine, but because it is you can't possibly get them to receive and process your file in time and your AOS with either be put on indefinite hold, or denied outright.". I also wrote a further post where I clarified more. In case you didn't read further, here it is: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/286367-portuguese-husbands-vwp-90-days-almost-up-help/page__view__findpost__p__4341143

Care to point out where I was wrong? VWP adjusters ARE being denied if their I-94 is expired. VWP adjusters ARE being put on indefinite hold if their I-94 is expired. VWP are fine if they get their file accepted (NOA1 date) before the I-94 expires. Sure one once in a while it is totally fine but it COMPLETELY irresposible to respond with "SURE! Go ahead. You'll have no problems". I told the truth. I'm sorry you can't handle that.

**Edit - The OP is in CA. This is the place denying VWP overstayers outright. The OP has been given advice that is basically the same as mine. I say "basically" because others went into further detail than I did. Did you read the entire thread? Please read the thread, especially those that mention CA and how this affects the OP directly and then come back and tell me I was wrong.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree with Vanessa & Tony on this one :thumbs: I think it is more irresponsible to give advise that people want. Ultimately it is still the OP's decision, like what almost everybody agreed upon here take the safer route to lessen the troubles later on.

Hi all, I'm new here but in some serious need of advice!

So, I've been dating a long time friend of mine on and off since I was 16. Nothing too serious, plus he lives him London and I spend most of my free time in Rio de Janeiro Brazil. Anyway, he met me in Rio last June (2010) and we started getting more serious. On his way back to London in september 2010, he stopped here to visit me and his cousin who also lives here and just had a baby. We ended up completely falling in love and realizing that we have to be together, no matter where we are in the world, so we got hitched. I have no problem moving to Europe, but my parents are here and I want to help them out for a few more years, plus I just got a degree in my field (I'm an animator) and would love to get some experience before moving overseas. So basically:

-My husband arrived September 16

-We were married Oct 16 (coincidentally I realized later that we probably should have waited- but we were way too excited with our decision)

-We have not filed the I-130 or the I-485 yet because we were told to file it all together, and he needs to get his portuguese birth certificate still (not even his mother has it they've moved so much)

-Next Wednesday, the 15th will be his 90th day here.

-My family is pretty wealthy, so we have a great co-sponsor, but we do not have the cash (the two of us) to spend on lawyers and penalties.

My question is, how bad is it if he is a few days "illegal" until they send us a notice that they received our application? If we get it all in the mail say, by Monday, his 88th day here and send it over night, should we be alright? Is it better if he goes back to Europe for a couple days and comes back in on his visa waiver? Or will we get in trouble for bringing him in as a tourist when hes really coming in to stay? My instinct tells me he should stay...

any help would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks

Hey there,

You got some really good advise from Jim and Harpah. I really think you should go back to their posts and read them carefully.

I know you want to believe your attorney so why not ask him for the actual case details.

The district that you live in definetly have a memo that says that all adjustments such as your husbands should be denied. Theres no getting around that at this time.

If your family is wealthy then they would probably not mind helping you and your husband take the CR1 route that would probably be a whole lot easier at this point for you both.

I hope it all works out for you. Even though you are just a name on an internet board you have a real story just like the rest of us.

All the best

10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin

03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

I don't know what your problem is. There was nothing wrong with the advice. I told the truth.

The OP posted in the K3 forum hence my first sentence. I then clarified and said "If the VWP wasn't ending so soon you would be fine, but because it is you can't possibly get them to receive and process your file in time and your AOS with either be put on indefinite hold, or denied outright.". I also wrote a further post where I clarified more. In case you didn't read further, here it is: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/286367-portuguese-husbands-vwp-90-days-almost-up-help/page__view__findpost__p__4341143

Care to point out where I was wrong? VWP adjusters ARE being denied if their I-94 is expired. VWP adjusters ARE being put on indefinite hold if their I-94 is expired. VWP are fine if they get their file accepted (NOA1 date) before the I-94 expires. Sure one once in a while it is totally fine but it COMPLETELY irresposible to respond with "SURE! Go ahead. You'll have no problems". I told the truth. I'm sorry you can't handle that.

**Edit - The OP is in CA. This is the place denying VWP overstayers outright. The OP has been given advice that is basically the same as mine. I say "basically" because others went into further detail than I did. Did you read the entire thread? Please read the thread, especially those that mention CA and how this affects the OP directly and then come back and tell me I was wrong.

Based on what you said initially which was that because he entered on a visa waiver he couldn't adjust. That is where I got my information from.

I don't have a problem. I think you do but my opinion doesn't matter nor does it add any flavor to the sauce does it?

Where do you get the probability ratio that her adjustment would have been placed on indefinite hold(which isnt true as there is an imminent memo) and/or denied out right? At the time of your response you didn't even know which district her husband would be filing in! You didn't mention the possibility that she could adjust successfully be it at her own risk and no its not just "once in a while". There are many who have adjusted successfully in those districts that haven't had the rulings and/or memos. You didn't mention that.

I just think when you respond you should give good advise that's balanced with all the facts and not just the ones that are closest to your heart.

I read the entire thread and I am comfortable with what I said.

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

I'm just a little surprised that the original poster is pretty much ignoring all of this advice from multiple people and following the advice of a lawyer, who are generally useless in most immigration cases.

OP, be aware that if you roll the dice and get denied (which being from Cali, is a slam dunk, looks like), he will ALSO end up with a 3 year ban if he over stays by 180 days and a 10 year ban if he overstays a year. I wouldn't roll that dice for my husband..I care far too much about him to risk that. But to each their own.

I genuinely hope that you will take this advice that we have given as this is a free community giving advice with no expectations or want of reward...whereas the lawyer will only get money if you get him to take your case, even if there isn't a chance of it being approved.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi all, so I spoke to a lawyer in my area who pretty much promised me that he could get my case through. He said that he was recently won a couple AOS with VWP overstayers. He said he needed a 1000$ deposit and $1500 over the course of the next two months. He is a friend of a friend, and he did her case too- she came from brazil on a tourist visa about ten years ago and then just never left.

The lawyer told me everything would be fine, and scheduled and appointment for us on monday.

Does this sound right?

Thank you again, I cant believe this nightare is happening, i seriously just want some sleep!

I wouldn't pursue that. VWP overstayers don't even go in front of an immigration judge if USCIS denies their AOS. They are immediately deportable. I don't see what the lawyer could win, since basically it is in the sole discretion of the IO that will conduct the interview to either approve or deny your case.

And given the 9th Circuit and Momeni v Chertoff and the memo and yadda yadda, you will be denied. So your husband will be deported, your future visa journey will be much more complicated, and on top of everything you'll also have thrown $2500 down the drain.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.