malucarlinha

Portuguese Husband's VWP 90 days almost up! HELP!

94 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Portugal
Timeline

No, it sounds like a straight-up lie. They can't promise anything, and... Did you read that link Jim put here? It said there was a memo in CA that went out in the last month that said from now on, all VWP overstay cases MUST be denied at interview. I think it was San Diego but there is reason to believe it would apply state-wide. All of this is really new... stuff happening in the last few months. This lawyer probably was successful last year or before. Ask him/her if he has done any VWP from overstay cases this year... or in the last 2 months.

Also, $2500 to fill out some forms? Yikes.

Also, this Brazilian friend came on a tourist visa (B-2). Overstay is not a problem for people who enter on tourist visas. The VWP is not a visa... and it has become a whole other story.

hey guys,

The link Jim sends is inconclusive, as the immigrant in question is my husband and therefore a direct beneficiary... I'm on hold for the lawyer now

The person who got denied in that link was ALSO A DIRECT BENEFICIARY. It was the exact same thing as you.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

No, it sounds like a straight-up lie. They can't promise anything, and... Did you read that link Jim put here? It said there was a memo in CA that went out in the last month that said from now on, all VWP overstay cases MUST be denied at interview. I think it was San Diego but there is reason to believe it would apply state-wide. All of this is really new... stuff happening in the last few months. This lawyer probably was successful last year or before. Ask him/her if he has done any VWP from overstay cases this year... or in the last 2 months.

Also, $2500 to fill out some forms? Yikes.

Also, this Brazilian friend came on a tourist visa (B-2). Overstay is not a problem for people who enter on tourist visas. The VWP is not a visa... and it has become a whole other story.

I don't know whether the attorney is up to speed on AOS from the VWP with overstay or not but don't kid yourself into thinking the immigration process is nothing but filling out forms. That's a prescription for failure.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Hi all, so I spoke to a lawyer in my area who pretty much promised me that he could get my case through. He said that he was recently won a couple AOS with VWP overstayers. He said he needed a 1000$ deposit and $1500 over the course of the next two months. He is a friend of a friend, and he did her case too- she came from brazil on a tourist visa about ten years ago and then just never left.

The lawyer told me everything would be fine, and scheduled and appointment for us on monday.

Does this sound right?

Thank you again, I cant believe this nightare is happening, i seriously just want some sleep!

Your friend from Brazil was not on VWP.

Because she had a tourist visa, her overstay of 10 years was forgiven because she was married to a US citizen.

(It was pretty much a simple task for that lawyer)

Whereas if your husband overstays his VWP (even by a day) it will be very difficult, or virtually impossible to adjust his status based on new immigration laws.

Also, go to the appointment and make sure the lawyer really knows the FACTS about VWP and is very knowledgeable in that area.

You can compare his answers with what you've read so far in this thread.

I'm a lil concern he is trying to get 2500 really quick and really fast...people usually pay lawyer over a 6 months period for this kinda of stuff not 2 months!

Wish you the best!

Edited by Vuvu zela

10/21/2010 (00): AOS package sent via express mail

10/22/2010 (01): AOS received by USCIS

10/28/2010 (07): NOA email notification for all the forms

11/05/2010 (15): Biometrics letter received for 11/30/2010

11/15/2010 (25): Early biometrics walk-in (successful)/Touched on all forms

12/30/2010 (70): AP approved

01/03/2011 (74): EAD and AP touched/EAD card production ordered

01/07/2011 (78): AP in the mail

01/10/2011 (81): Interview letter received for 02/09/2011

01/11/2011 (82): EAD in the mail

02/09/2011 (111): AOS Interview (Approved!!!)/Card production ordered (email)

02/18/2011 (120): GC in hand! (It's actually green lol)

Whats an RFEs?

Request For further Evidence(something like that...)

For example, if you omitted to submit something very critical along with the AOS package, you may get an RFE letter in the mail.

10/21/2010 (00): AOS package sent via express mail

10/22/2010 (01): AOS received by USCIS

10/28/2010 (07): NOA email notification for all the forms

11/05/2010 (15): Biometrics letter received for 11/30/2010

11/15/2010 (25): Early biometrics walk-in (successful)/Touched on all forms

12/30/2010 (70): AP approved

01/03/2011 (74): EAD and AP touched/EAD card production ordered

01/07/2011 (78): AP in the mail

01/10/2011 (81): Interview letter received for 02/09/2011

01/11/2011 (82): EAD in the mail

02/09/2011 (111): AOS Interview (Approved!!!)/Card production ordered (email)

02/18/2011 (120): GC in hand! (It's actually green lol)

I don't know whether the attorney is up to speed on AOS from the VWP with overstay or not but don't kid yourself into thinking the immigration process is nothing but filling out forms. That's a prescription for failure.

You may disagree with me, but I would still argue that concurrent I-130/I-485 is pretty much filing out forms. I have seen it said here that you are a lawyer yourself, so naturally you would argue that a lawyer's service is needed. Adjusting in-country is not dealing with high-fraud consulates etc which would require more expertise and careful planning, but this not applicable for concurrent filers. I will concede that there are some cases, especially people with criminal backgrounds etc that may require legal services as well to adjust in-country. However, I stand by my statement. Having a lawyer fill out your forms is not going to change the outcome of your VWP-overstay case, and there is no option for an appeal in front of a judge for people who entered on the VWP.

OP: The lawyer in that link looks like he is planning to argue that immediate relatives of USCs by law should get the same benefits as those who entered on a valid visa. I agree with this decision and am looking forward to the outcome. The cases that have argued the validity of the overstay-WVP-deny used grounds like "I didn't know I was signing away my right to a immigration trial" etc, and those arguments have failed. I have said here before that I am looking forward to when someone argues that this policy is incorrect based on the laws that give special privileges to immediate relatives of USCs, and it looks like this guy is going to do it. I think that's great. However, I see a few things going on here.

1. This lawyer in the link has not had a chance to argue his case yet, and the fact there shows that CA is flat-out denying overstay from VWP. The person whose denial he scanned is the exact same thing as you. EXACTLY. If you want to go ahead and argue the illegal aspects of these denials, then go ahead, but please know that is what you are getting in to.

2. The lawyer you spoke with has told you that he "guarantees" success and has told you what you want to hear. Now, you trust him more because that is what you want to hear. And, he is not being honest, or does not know what is going on. Your brazilian friend's case is not relevant for you as I said.

If you want to go ahead with this, I would call that lawyer in Jim's link. He seems like he is really on top of current trends and is willing to file motions to reopen etc after a denial.

I don't think this policy is fair, btw. If you want to go ahead, realizing the current trends and you high chance of denial, then I would totally support it (not that a stranger from the internet's support counts for much). But you are getting misinformation from someone who wants to take your money, and that seems like a dangerous scenario to me.

Here is another link http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/15/nyregion/15visa.html

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country:
Timeline

The Lawyer will be useless when your AOS application is denied because:

Since your husband would be a Visa Waiver Program Overstayer once denied he is immediately deport-able and by using the VWP he waived any right to appeal. This means that you don't get to go before an immigration judge at all, just taken into custody & shipped back to country of origin. BTW, there have been reports of being denied at AOS interview and the alien spouse being taken into custody right at the interview for deportation!

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Timeline
The lawyer in that link looks like he is planning to argue that immediate relatives of USCs by law should get the same benefits as those who entered on a valid visa. I agree with this decision and am looking forward to the outcome. The cases that have argued the validity of the overstay-WVP-deny used grounds like "I didn't know I was signing away my right to a immigration trial" etc, and those arguments have failed. I have said here before that I am looking forward to when someone argues that this policy is incorrect based on the laws that give special privileges to immediate relatives of USCs, and it looks like this guy is going to do it. I think that's great. However, I see a few things going on here.

1. This lawyer in the link has not had a chance to argue his case yet, and the fact there shows that CA is flat-out denying overstay from VWP. The person whose denial he scanned is the exact same thing as you. EXACTLY. If you want to go ahead and argue the illegal aspects of these denials, then go ahead, but please know that is what you are getting in to.

2. The lawyer you spoke with has told you that he "guarantees" success and has told you what you want to hear. Now, you trust him more because that is what you want to hear. And, he is not being honest, or does not know what is going on. Your brazilian friend's case is not relevant for you as I said.

At least it's a different argument but whats the point of having a different argument if the courts refuse to hear it because they agree they don't have jurisdiction?

I'd like to know how you get around that, other than pushing through to higher courts and eventually getting to SCOTUS by which time he'll already be deported [and if he'd just left to follow the CR-1 route could have been back already]. Not to mention the legal fees involved unless the lawyer is just looking for a case to ride to SCOTUS and will go pro bono.

Timeline
You can guide the blind, but only if they are willing to follow you, not when they insist on running in the other direction.

Appropriate and competent advice has been given in this case. Everything from here on is only chat.

Until the next thread after he's been deported and we have to read another tirade about how horrible the US is to have denied their love despite them spitting in the face of established law...

The Lawyer will be useless when your AOS application is denied because:

Since your husband would be a Visa Waiver Program Overstayer once denied he is immediately deport-able and by using the VWP he waived any right to appeal. This means that you don't get to go before an immigration judge at all, just taken into custody & shipped back to country of origin. BTW, there have been reports of being denied at AOS interview and the alien spouse being taken into custody right at the interview for deportation!

Exactly. And - correct me if I'm wrong - there's a good chance OP's husband will, by this point, have overstayed long enough to qualify for a ban.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Other Country: Portugal
Timeline

Yeah I'm confused about what exactly the lawyer CAN do for my case. He said juet yesterday he won a case for a woman who had overstayed her visa waiver for five years and had married an american.... but how could he have done that if theyrr denying the applications outrright?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.