malucarlinha

Portuguese Husband's VWP 90 days almost up! HELP!

94 posts in this topic

I do not think they publish the figures but I would be very surprised if the number of people adjusting from non immigrant visa's was larger for VWP countries than others.

I think they do publish the figures. Or at least the number adjusting from K1. I think the statistics I saw the last time I found it was the number one exporting nation of fiancee's was the Philipines.

But I'm too lazy to google it again.

Edited by JohnnyQuest

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Congratulations! We successfully adjusted status, too, this past Tuesday. We had a 50 day overstay on VWP, and it didn't come up at all in interview. You (MayoKy) and I are in the same 6th District, while the OP is in the 9th District. It seems that it matters not only what Court District you live in, but also what the policy is for your local USCIS Field Office. The Las Vegas (9th district) recently allowed AOS for a VWP overstayer:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/271100-vwp-aos-approved/

Conversely, the issue of the San Diego (9th district) memo directing no AOS for VWP over 90 days has been already mentioned. It seems knowledge of an applicant's local office policy is necessary, rather than just saying "this district" or "that state" will never adjust status for VWP overstayers.

I'd be interested in getting a VJ database going to try to chart success/failure/indefinite hold for VWP overstayers based on not only District Court, but on USCIS Field Office. That would be more useful than blanket claims that a particular district will never allow AOS for VWP overstayers.

AJ

And this is why I said what I said initially. Congrats.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Timeline

It never ceases to amaze me how reckless some people can be.

OP, I don't even know why you're here...you asked a few q's, and some members here went thru efforts to not only tell you what they knew, but provided sources, USCIS memos pertaining to your case, and they also ignored your ignorance in telling them they were wrong.

There are many of us who are far too familiar with USICS, and once you gain some independent information of your own (ie - not relying on lawyers who are just after money), then you will remain as in the dark as you are now.

Thing about the VWP, when a foreigner uses it, that foreigner waives all appellate rights. So your lawyer, by saying what he's 'won' proves that it has nothing to do with you, as there will be no recourse, no 'day in court' for your husband, because he waived those rights upon entry.

I do hope for your sake you are either successful with your AOS that somehow you managed to get all the docs together, sorted out the BC issue - and not just with a 'statement from his mother', and somehow rec'd - by miracle - your NOA1 by yesterday. If I were in your shoes, reading a memo of a case in my district with my exact scenario, I'd have been very very cautious and it would hold great weight to my decisions. You, on the other hand, dismiss this proof as 'anecdotal' yet you rely on 'my lawyer won two cases' (irrelevant) or 'my friend from Argentina' (anecdotal, and completely different scenario as to your own).

If you made your gamble and it doesn't pay off - then more fool both of you. You won't rec any sympathy from me, because not only were you repeatedly advised of the legal repercussions, you had more than enough time (say a month ago) to file everything without this 'do or die' sense of urgency. There are so many couples who do not have the option of AOSing from VWP, and here you have been given that gift - and yet you don't respect the rules enough to play by them.

If you ever come back here, have a little respect for the members who so unselfishly took the time to repeatedly tell you what's what. You may have just wanted sunshine blown up your azz 'oh it'll be fine!' but if that's not the case, then it's not negative to point out the situation for what it is. And how insulting and ignorant for you to presume and say so

Good luck to you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

OP, I don't even know why you're here...you asked a few q's, and some members here went thru efforts to not only tell you what they knew, but provided sources, USCIS memos pertaining to your case, and they also ignored your ignorance in telling them they were wrong.

There are many of us who are far too familiar with USICS, and once you gain some independent information of your own (ie - not relying on lawyers who are just after money), then you will remain as in the dark as you are now.

Thing about the VWP, when a foreigner uses it, that foreigner waives all appellate rights. So your lawyer, by saying what he's 'won' proves that it has nothing to do with you, as there will be no recourse, no 'day in court' for your husband, because he waived those rights upon entry.

I do hope for your sake you are either successful with your AOS that somehow you managed to get all the docs together, sorted out the BC issue - and not just with a 'statement from his mother', and somehow rec'd - by miracle - your NOA1 by yesterday. If I were in your shoes, reading a memo of a case in my district with my exact scenario, I'd have been very very cautious and it would hold great weight to my decisions. You, on the other hand, dismiss this proof as 'anecdotal' yet you rely on 'my lawyer won two cases' (irrelevant) or 'my friend from Argentina' (anecdotal, and completely different scenario as to your own).

If you made your gamble and it doesn't pay off - then more fool both of you. You won't rec any sympathy from me, because not only were you repeatedly advised of the legal repercussions, you had more than enough time (say a month ago) to file everything without this 'do or die' sense of urgency. There are so many couples who do not have the option of AOSing from VWP, and here you have been given that gift - and yet you don't respect the rules enough to play by them.

If you ever come back here, have a little respect for the members who so unselfishly took the time to repeatedly tell you what's what. You may have just wanted sunshine blown up your azz 'oh it'll be fine!' but if that's not the case, then it's not negative to point out the situation for what it is. And how insulting and ignorant for you to presume and say so

Good luck to you

whoa! but wow :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My lawyer also told me, a month ago, that is was "100% fine" to AOS on VWP. However, she apparently decided to go actually read up on the current situation, and sent us a weak worded letter that she was wrong. For us, the very real possibility of a 10yr ban was just too much to risk - 8-10 months to know youre safe = worth it in my eyes.

If there's one thing you will learn on VJ, its that you CANNOT implicitly trust a lawyer. It might sound fancy, and like they know what theyre doing, but many times theyre just out for your money, and will tell you anything you want to hear - after all, why should they care! They get paid either way.

I sincerely hope that you do get everything sorted out, and youll soon learn that all of us in this site are here because it is, without a doubt, the most comprehensive forum on this subject we've found.

You may not like the answers you get, but we've all been through it, and all we try and do is untangle the maze that is US immigration.

Nick (USC) and Amy (UKC)

03/08 - Met at University in Albuquerque, NM

08/08 - Back to UK for a few years of travelling UK>US!

10/10 - Wedding Day!

s88ndknc8v.png

USCIS

11/16/10: I-130 package mailed

11/18/10: Express Mail tracking shows delivered

11/23/10: Online banking shows check cleared!

11/26/10: Touched

11/29/10: NOA1 arrives!(dated as 11/18/10)

03/17/11: Touched

04/08/11: I-130 APPROVAL!!

141 days from NOA1 to NOA2

NVC

27/04/11: Emailed Choice of Agent form

~{gap as I spent the summer in England}~

03/11/11: Paid AOS and IV fees

04/11/11: AOS and IV fees shown as PAID

08/11/11: AOS Packet sent

09/11/11: IV Packet sent

18/11/11: RFE received requesting AOS packet (which had already been sent)

21/11/11: RFE received requesting 2010 tax return

22/11/11: Sent 2010 tax return

29/11/11: CASE COMPLETE!!!

26 days through NVC

EMBASSY

10/12/11: Medical @ Bentnick Mansions

30/01/12: Interview @ 9am [APPROVED!!]

01/02/12: Passport with visa inside, and medical packet arrive via courier

02/03/12: Flight to Denver!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Very good question indeed!

I found this visa bulletin on USCIS website...http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/FAQ2.pdf

It is not relevant to what we are discussing here, but it sheds some light on our many questions.

If you read the first 5 questions, you will notice that USCIS consider "acceptance" of your application when it is physically received and entered in the courier's service system!

(Which in our cases it was received the very next day!)

Unless I'm reading something wrong and this information is outdated, I think the OP's husband has a chance if their AOS package is received before he overstays his visa!

(Provided of course it is filled out and filed correctly!)

They received my package on Nov 22 but I didn't have any notice letter until Dec 13 [ after 21 days]. I called them to ask about my package when i didn't receive the NOA yet.They said its not in their system yet and it normally takes 3 or 4 weeks to get thru it. So I think the OP must be very lucky to have her NOAs right after 1 or 2 days which seems rare.

Edited by xxtinaxx

11/8/10: Medical exam

11/12/10:Get married

11/19/10: I-693 sealed.It means my chest x ray is fine :)

11/20/10: Package [ I-130,I-485,I-765] sent to Lockbox

11/22/10 [Day 1]: Delivered there

11/29/10 [Day 7]: Return receipt from USPS

12/13/10 [Day 21]: Texts and email received [ after 21 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

12/16/10 [Day 24]: Snail copy received

12/18/10 [Day 26]: Every single form touched

12/20/10 [Day 28]: Biometrics letter received

1/13/11 [Day 51]: Biometrics done

1/24/11 [Day 62]: Biometrcis appointment received AGAIN.!!!!!!!!!I was like #######

2/04/11 [Day 72]: Second biometrics done

2/15/11 [Day 83]: EAD in production.

2/18/11 [Day 86]: Interview letter received, set for March 21

2/22/11 [Day 90]: EAD mailed out.

2/25/11 [Day 93]: EAD received

3/21/11 [Day 118]: Interview but left with no decision ToT

3/31/11 [Day 128]: RFE regarding police clearance

4/13/11 [Day 141]: RFE sent

4/19/11 [Day 147]: Card in production

4/22/11 [Day 150]: Welcome2USA letter received

It took 5 stressful months exactly.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Portugal
Timeline

TO ALL YOU NAY SAYERS AND NEGATIVE NANCY'S:

MY MARRIAGE TO MY HUSBAND WAS LEGIT. WE HAD NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER EVEN THOUGH HE WAS ON VISA WAIVER. WE APPLIED IN DECEMBER AND HIS GREENCARD ARRIVED TODAY! TAKE THAT!!!!!! Seriously I almost gave up after reading all your horrible posts, but then I realized that most of you bought your wives from Asia or Latin America.

I'm so glad I didn't listen to any of you, and went ahead with the original plan of getting my husband his proper documents so we could be happy together, wherever we are.

PEACE, losers.

Good luck to you

MY MARRIAGE TO MY HUSBAND WAS LEGIT. WE HAD NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER EVEN THOUGH HE WAS ON VISA WAIVER. WE APPLIED IN DECEMBER AND HIS GREENCARD ARRIVED TODAY! TAKE THAT!!!!!! Seriously I almost gave up after reading all your horrible posts, but then I realized that most of you bought your wives from Asia or Latin America.

I'm so glad I didn't listen to any of you, and went ahead with the original plan of getting my husband his proper documents so we could be happy together, wherever we are.

PEACE, losers.

Filed: Other Country: Portugal
Timeline

You can guide the blind, but only if they are willing to follow you, not when they insist on running in the other direction.

Appropriate and competent advice has been given in this case. Everything from here on is only chat.

PEACE, losers.

Sorry if you mentioned it before but precisely WHY can't he return to Portugal and have you file for I-130? He can still use the VWP to visit you during the process. AOSing right now in CA off an expired I-94 would almost be certain denial and lead to deportation. I still can't understand why you would put your loved one's status in jeopardy like that.

PEACE, losers.

Actually, it's 180 days from the date of expiration, so the spouse has a lot more time to get by.

malu, I guess you are determined to lay in your bed. I think you are being immature--which will ultimately cause you and your husband a very high chance of heartbreak and frustration. Like another posted said, can only lead a horse to water...

Have fun in Paris! :)

PEACE, losers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

PEACE, losers.

LOL. Wow. You still don't get it. All of the advice you received was aimed at helping you avoid the potential serious repurcussions of a denied AOS. The fact that you were successful does not negate the FACT that you took a risk and gambled with your husband's status. You can call realistic posts "horrible" if you want, but people were right to warn you repeatedly and stress the seriousness of the situation. Absolutely NO ONE had the goal of keeping you from being together and happy with your husband without "his proper documents". Everyone wanted to see you succeed and have him be a legal permanent resident. But the goal was to achieve that by the safest, most well-advised route. Also, NO ONE suggested that your marriage was not legitimate.

Getting approved doesn't change the good intentions of members who are better-informed than you, and it says nothing good about you to come back with a post like that. And what's with the jab at Asian and Latin American immigrant wives? Care to elaborate on just what the heck you mean by that?

Congrats and good luck; but please don't ever give anyone you meet immigration advice, because, as I said, you still don't get it!

I'm the USC petitioner.

Timeline:

10/06/2005 Met in Ireland while I was on a study abroad

03/15/2010 K-1 NOA1

05/27/2010 K-1 NOA2

09/10/2010 K-1 Interview

09/22/2010 POE

10/01/2010 Wedding

10/27/2010 AOS/EAD/AP NOA1s

12/22/2010 EAD/AP Approved

04/05/2011 AOS Approved - no interview

04/09/2011 Green Card received

01/24/2013 ROC NOA1

06/28/2013 ROC Approved - no interview

07/05/2013 10-year Green Card received

08/19/2014 N-400 NOA

12/06/2014 N-400 Interview

01/09/2014 Naturalization ceremony

My husband is now a US Citizen! Our journey is over!

20r8m4.png

WdKPm5.png

8PEOm5.png

First off CONGRATULATIONS!! You deserve to be happy and celebrate the successful AOS of your case and your case of "In yo face" was cute to me...but then again I get that a lot of how you feel must be relief.

At the time you asked your question, most of what people were doing was speculating especially based on the fact that you filed in a state that had one office denying VWP overstays. Maybe some were a little OD about it but you shouldnt feel as if you didnt have any help at all.

Anyways..Congrats again...wishing you ALL the best!

10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin

03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The policy was changed a week or so ago, you got lucky. Nuff said.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

The policy was changed a week or so ago, you got lucky. Nuff said.

LOL. The policy in San Francisco was always the same. The policy was changed about a month ago for others who were on hold/or in states of denials.

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

PEACE, losers.

Hahaha I found this awesome. Sticking it to the man. WINNING. Congrats!!!!!

Nov. 5: Sent AOS Package

Nov 17: AOS received by USCIS

April 1: INTERVIEW DAY. Approved!!!!!!

Early June: Moved to New York City. The only relevant city in the world ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.