curious_creek225

Tunis consulate and k1 visa ?

50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I'm engaged to a us citizen and we applied for a k1 visa last year and got approved by USCIS after submitting photos together and proof of trip vacation we both took together to another country,

Now I have my interview scheduled soon and things is, we only met in person that time around 18 months ago, and we're having people telling us we're getting instant denial evidently if we don't meet in person again before the interview, because I am doing in it Tunisia, there's no red flags, no previous marriages, no age gap, no criminal records, money is fine, the guy is older in the relationship, ..etc.
We even have a wedding plan,

except the fact that the interview is taking place in Tunisia,

Can that one thing cause instant denial only for meeting once
If we gonna plan more trips we'll probably need to delay the interview and we don't wanna do that we just wanna get married already,

And isn't the process supposed to go through refusal first where they ask for more evidence and look more into it, if so why are we hearing from supposedly "professional people" telling us we'll get "instant denial"

How true is that and what should we do?

I’m not sure about “instant denial”, as you said they would usually put someone in AP/refused before making a decision. However, one meeting (especially if it was short) can be problematic for a “tough” consulate and I’d categorize Tunisia as such.

You mention it is not possible to meet before/at the time of the interview. Is your interview scheduled very soon (as in the next few days) already? 

I’d do by best to meet at least once before the interview. I was asked at my interview when was the last time I saw my fiancé and back then the process didn’t take as long as it does now, plus it was in the midst of COVID border shutdowns, but there was definitely an expectation from the CO that we’d see each other again after filing the petition (which we did). In your case CO might have questions as to why you went so long without seeing each other.

It all boils down to what your risk tolerance is and personal decision. If you’re okay with taking the risk and going in with what you have at the moment then that is your decision. 

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

18 months of absense is a long time to establish a "real relationship"

How long were u together 18 months ago? 

Does your tunisian family approve , especially your mother?

Is she of child bearing age?

this interview will depend on how well u can answer questions about your USC fiancee

Do u know every little and big thing about her,  her family,  her life in the US?

no instant denial

its up to u to prove you love her,  like her,   and will build a life together in the US 

Tunis approved 11 K1's in January and 5 in December

allah yekbel

Oops, never mind.  Just saw that there is no age difference.

Ideally for high-fraud consulates, more in-person face time is needed.  

Edited by SalishSea

Timeline

I'm engaged to a us citizen and we applied for a k1 visa last year and got approved by USCIS after submitting photos together and proof of trip vacation we both took together to another country,

Now I have my interview scheduled soon and things is, we only met in person that time around 18 months ago, and we're having people telling us we're getting instant denial evidently if we don't meet in person again before the interview, because I am doing in it Tunisia, there's no red flags, no previous marriages, no age gap, no criminal records, money is fine, the guy is older in the relationship, ..etc.

If we gonna plan more trips we'll probably need to delay the interview and we don't wanna do that we just wanna get married already,

And isn't the process supposed to go through refusal first where they ask for more evidence and look more into it, if so why are we hearing from supposedly "professional people" telling us we'll get "instant denial"

Is the USC a man or a woman? Do you and your partner share the same religion/ culture or is it different?
How late do you want to delay the interview? By or two months or more? 
How many more meetings do you plan to have? By delaying the K1 interview you might have issues rescheduling and/or issues with the medical… when did you complete your medical? 
I would go to the interview without a meeting (if it is impossible for your partner to come visit you) and then have a backup plan for them to come to Tunisia and marry you.Then apply for the marriage visa and go through that process. As you know it will take another 18-24 months and you and your partner can arrange to meet several more times before the interview date. 

8 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:
Edited by Redro

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
34 minutes ago, curious_creek225 said:

I'm engaged to a us citizen and we applied for a k1 visa last year and got approved by USCIS after submitting photos together and proof of trip vacation we both took together to another country,

I expect it to be an  issue and I expect you to be asked why.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Two Duplicate threads with replied merged.  Please do not re-post***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

I expect it to be an  issue and I expect you to be asked why.

Alright but what if we're just not the always travelling type , we both share the belief that we should not spend much personal time together before marriage and we already decided that we want to be together in a marriage bond , how's that of an answer or you think that would be misunderstood badly

11 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

18 months of absense is a long time to establish a "real relationship"

How long were u together 18 months ago? 

Does your tunisian family approve , especially your mother?

Is she of child bearing age?

this interview will depend on how well u can answer questions about your USC fiancee

Do u know every little and big thing about her,  her family,  her life in the US?

no instant denial

its up to u to prove you love her,  like her,   and will build a life together in the US 

Tunis approved 11 K1's in January and 5 in December

allah yekbel

long time for some people might not be long time for other people especially if you're maintaining communication online and the distance is thousands of miles across the globe

I don't see the relevance of specifically my mother approving but yes she approves and believes I'm a grown up adult who can make these decisions for myself

I'm not sure what you mean by child bearing age, but we're both in mid to late twenties 

and yes I know everything about my fiancé I can answer anything 

thank you , it's just frustrating that  I don't know in what manner exactly does that convincing of me loving her should go to satisfy the co 

we both have personal matters and history together that makes us know we love each other, but the co is a stranger who'll have to decide in 5 min,

if no instant denial then what you think it would be?

2 hours ago, Redro said:

Is the USC a man or a woman? Do you and your partner share the same religion/ culture or is it different?
How late do you want to delay the interview? By or two months or more? 
How many more meetings do you plan to have? By delaying the K1 interview you might have issues rescheduling and/or issues with the medical… when did you complete your medical? 
I would go to the interview without a meeting (if it is impossible for your partner to come visit you) and then have a backup plan for them to come to Tunisia and marry you.Then apply for the marriage visa and go through that process. As you know it will take another 18-24 months and you and your partner can arrange to meet several more times before the interview date. 

USC is a woman, she's younger than me but not much, religion wise we're both spiritual non institutional/formal religion, culture is close within Mediterranean culture, 
I'd rather not delay the interview but I'm not sure how long it should be if we have to , we're planning the wedding to be in August so idk,

I didn't do my medical yet 

we've been waiting for a long time, 2 more years and another visa process would be so inconvenient for us, we really would rather not do that besides we wanna get married in the USA it's just what we want

Timeline
4 minutes ago, curious_creek225 said:

we both share the belief that we should not spend much personal time together before marriage

That is counter to what US immigration authorities favor....and logic, imo.   More time together is a good thing for multiple reasons. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, curious_creek225 said:

we both share the belief that we should not spend much personal time together before marriage

Hearing something like that would make me very suspicious of your relationship.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
53 minutes ago, curious_creek225 said:

Alright but what if we're just not the always travelling type , we both share the belief that we should not spend much personal time together before marriage and we already decided that we want to be together in a marriage bond , how's that of an answer or you think that would be misunderstood badly

long time for some people might not be long time for other people especially if you're maintaining communication online and the distance is thousands of miles across the globe

I don't see the relevance of specifically my mother approving but yes she approves and believes I'm a grown up adult who can make these decisions for myself

I'm not sure what you mean by child bearing age, but we're both in mid to late twenties 

thank you , it's just frustrating that  I don't know in what manner exactly does that convincing of me loving her should go to satisfy the co 

we both have personal matters and history together that makes us know we love each other, but the co is a stranger who'll have to decide in 5 min,

USC is a woman, she's younger than me but not much, religion wise we're both spiritual non institutional/formal religion, culture is close within Mediterranean culture, 
I'd rather not delay the interview but I'm not sure how long it should be if we have to , we're planning the wedding to be in August so idk,

we've been waiting for a long time, 2 more years and another visa process would be so inconvenient for us, we really would rather not do that besides we wanna get married in the USA it's just what we want

So when you met how long were you together?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, curious_creek225 said:

Child bearing age is age prior to menopause (when we can have children)  and is important to culture in Islamic countries such as yours and mine

Mother approval also important for muslim countries and will be noted by CO thru photos shown by the petition

spending time with each other to understand is very important / culture,  foods,  music,  family ,  friends all play into a relationship/if she only had a 2 week/ 10 day trip two meet u ,  and no later meetings,  expect  CO  issues /  some of us do 3  months together and i did 5 trips totally 7 months.   CO will abide by countries norms.   Short time together does not ,,  repeat not,  allow the 2 of u to know life style of the other.   u know nothing about life in the US ;  nothing about getting SS #,  state DL,   health care insurance,   not being able to work for months and months and homesicknes /   not meaning to sound harsh but these are things CO will note 

I spent 1 month in Hammamet ,  Tunisia and women told me what is important and to them approving daughter in law and having grandchildren topped the list

1 hour ago, curious_creek225 said:

All cases are refused and in AP unless there is a 221g given saying "not eligible for visa at this time"

19 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So when you met how long were you together?

i also asked and got no anwer

Edited by JeanneAdil

OP, if “not spending time together before marriage” was important to you, then you absolutely picked the wrong visa.  Should have married and done a CR-1. 

People going through tough consulates don’t need to create extra reasons for denial for themselves.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.