curious_creek225

Tunis consulate and k1 visa ?

50 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, curious_creek225 said:

Alright but what if we're just not the always travelling type , we both share the belief that we should not spend much personal time together before marriage and we already decided that we want to be together in a marriage bond , how's that of an answer or you think that would be misunderstood badly- interviewer will say: if you are not the traveling type, why choose an international relationship that requires a travel?  Unless you are not marrying or spending time together because of known religious/ customary reasons and these reasons are documented. But generally these couples will marry and then file spousal visa. 

long time for some people might not be long time for other people especially if you're maintaining communication online and the distance is thousands of miles across the globe- so an extra two years waiting will not be an issue if the visa is refused? 

>snip< 

thank you , it's just frustrating that  I don't know in what manner exactly does that convincing of me loving her should go to satisfy the co 

we both have personal matters and history together that makes us know we love each other, but the co is a stranger who'll have to decide in 5 min,

if no instant denial then what you think it would be?-interviewer will sit on your case until it expires. You will have to file another I129F or get married and file an I130. Interviewer is looking for a real relationship. They will probably request all correspondence between the two of you for the 18 months you did not see each other. 

USC is a woman, she's younger than me but not much, religion wise we're both spiritual non institutional/formal religion, culture is close within Mediterranean culture, 
I'd rather not delay the interview but I'm not sure how long it should be if we have to , we're planning the wedding to be in August so idk, - if visa is refused or put on hold this might not happen. When is the current interview date? 

didn't do my medical yet 

we've been waiting for a long time, 2 more years and another visa process would be so inconvenient for us, we really would rather not do that besides we wanna get married in the USA it's just what we want- speak to your partner about this. Sounds like if you want to move forward with a wedding in August- for safety she should visit you. Why is a U.S. marriage more important than a legal marriage from Tunisia? They might ask you reasons for this… 

UTAH wedding is an option if the K1 is refused. 

Edited by Redro

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Hearing something like that would make me very suspicious of your relationship.

I understand how that could be, we really want to be together , only we want to do it in marriage bond

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

So when you met how long were you together?

around 18 months ago, it was for like 2 weeks

53 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Child bearing age is age prior to menopause (when we can have children)  and is important to culture in Islamic countries such as yours and mine

Mother approval also important for muslim countries and will be noted by CO thru photos shown by the petition

spending time with each other to understand is very important / culture,  foods,  music,  family ,  friends all play into a relationship/if she only had a 2 week/ 10 day trip two meet u ,  and no later meetings,  expect  CO  issues /  some of us do 3  months together and i did 5 trips totally 7 months.   CO will abide by countries norms.   Short time together does not ,,  repeat not,  allow the 2 of u to know life style of the other.   u know nothing about life in the US ;  nothing about getting SS #,  state DL,   health care insurance,   not being able to work for months and months and homesicknes /   not meaning to sound harsh but these are things CO will note 

I spent 1 month in Hammamet ,  Tunisia and women told me what is important and to them approving daughter in law and having grandchildren topped the list

i also asked and got no anwer

that's weird to me because I'm from here and we don't have those norms, not in my family at least, we don't care for parents approvals and parents don't care to approve our decisions to pick a spouse or a lover, 
I know understanding some technicalities about life in the USA might be challenging for some, but I'm well educated and I speak good English, and I know what social security ,driver's license and health insurance are,

and I'm aware I won't be able to work until I get my employment authorization and we're okay with that, also I think I'll handle whatever homesickness I'll be feeling especially if I'm spending my days with the love of my life 

Thank you for sharing your experience, there's different cultures here in the same country, mostly divided by rural and urban areas, maybe also families differ, 

we met around 18 months ago for like 2 weeks

30 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

OP, if “not spending time together before marriage” was important to you, then you absolutely picked the wrong visa.  Should have married and done a CR-1. 

People going through tough consulates don’t need to create extra reasons for denial for themselves.

that's fair, but if we got married we'll have to live the first 2 years of marriage or so apart dealing with stressful visa processes, instead we wanted to deal with it before marriage so once we're married we're focused on each other and our life together instead of the suspenseful waiting and technicalities of the visa process  

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Hearing something like that would make me very suspicious of your relationship.

I understand how that could be, we really want to be together , only we want to do it in marriage bond

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

So when you met how long were you together?

around 18 months ago, it was for like 2 weeks

53 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Child bearing age is age prior to menopause (when we can have children)  and is important to culture in Islamic countries such as yours and mine

Mother approval also important for muslim countries and will be noted by CO thru photos shown by the petition

spending time with each other to understand is very important / culture,  foods,  music,  family ,  friends all play into a relationship/if she only had a 2 week/ 10 day trip two meet u ,  and no later meetings,  expect  CO  issues /  some of us do 3  months together and i did 5 trips totally 7 months.   CO will abide by countries norms.   Short time together does not ,,  repeat not,  allow the 2 of u to know life style of the other.   u know nothing about life in the US ;  nothing about getting SS #,  state DL,   health care insurance,   not being able to work for months and months and homesicknes /   not meaning to sound harsh but these are things CO will note 

I spent 1 month in Hammamet ,  Tunisia and women told me what is important and to them approving daughter in law and having grandchildren topped the list

i also asked and got no anwer

that's weird to me because I'm from here and we don't have those norms, not in my family at least, we don't care for parents approvals and parents don't care to approve our decisions to pick a spouse or a lover, 
I know understanding some technicalities about life in the USA might be challenging for some, but I'm well educated and I speak good English, and I know what social security ,driver's license and health insurance are,

and I'm aware I won't be able to work until I get my employment authorization and we're okay with that, also I think I'll handle whatever homesickness I'll be feeling especially if I'm spending my days with the love of my life 

Thank you for sharing your experience, there's different cultures here in the same country, mostly divided by rural and urban areas, maybe also families differ, 

we met around 18 months ago for like 2 weeks

30 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

OP, if “not spending time together before marriage” was important to you, then you absolutely picked the wrong visa.  Should have married and done a CR-1. 

People going through tough consulates don’t need to create extra reasons for denial for themselves.

that's fair, but if we got married we'll have to live the first 2 years of marriage or so apart dealing with stressful visa processes, instead we wanted to deal with it before marriage so once we're married we're focused on each other and our life together instead of the suspenseful waiting and technicalities of the visa process  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would have thought the odds are that the Consulate will send it back, but I have been wrong before.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, curious_creek225 said:

but if we got married we'll have to live the first 2 years of marriage or so apart dealing with stressful visa processes, instead we wanted to deal with it before marriage so once we're married we're focused on each other and our life together instead of the suspenseful waiting and technicalities of the visa process  

I see no difference at all since in order to file a fiance visa, you have already committed to the marriage.  The processing times for a fiance visa and a spousal visa are about the same.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 minutes ago, curious_creek225 said:

Your immigration process is far from over. If you receive the K1 visa, you will have to marry within 90 days and apply for your green card. When you apply for the green card you will have to apply for work authorization (now an extra fee) and advanced parole (another additional fee). You won’t be able to work until your receive the work card or green card. 
it would have been less stressful applying after getting married as- your process would have taken the same amount of time. Which you had to do “together” as that is what couples do. 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Redro said:

interviewer will say: if you are not the traveling type, why choose an international relationship that requires a travel?  Unless you are not marrying or spending time together because of known religious/ customary reasons and these reasons are documented. But generally these couples will marry and then file spousal visa - the relationship chose me and I didn't choose, never thought I'd marry internationally, I just met this person and we matched well, and we're really into each other, neither of us like that's it's international or thought it'd be this way, which makes it extra frustrating but you do what you need to do to be with the right person 

so an extra two years waiting will not be an issue if the visa is refused? -there's a difference between waiting to finally get together and 4 years to be together after refusal and more scrutinizing bcz as you know they'll be much more scrutinizing for marriage visa, they'd want more proofs because obviously a marriage is more than an engagement 

interviewer will sit on your case until it expires. You will have to file another I129F or get married and file an I130. Interviewer is looking for a real relationship. They will probably request all correspondence between the two of you for the 18 months you did not see each other. -fair enough

speak to your partner about this. Sounds like if you want to move forward with a wedding in August- for safety she should visit you. Why is a U.S. marriage more important than a legal marriage from Tunisia? They might ask you reasons for this… - we are discussing our options , reasons are USA has nicer venues and places to hold a wedding, USC is much more close to her family than me to my family so it would matter more to her if her family is present more than it would to me if mine were not present, we'd like to spend honeymoon in USA not here and not wait for 2 years after marriage to spend a honeymoon, since we're both gonna be establishing a life in the USA it would make much more sense to have a significant event as a marriage ceremony happening in the USA as well for sentimental and convenience reasons.

I'm asking for professional opinions or similar past experiences in the same consulate, not baseless guessing opinions even tho all is appreciated, thank you all 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Redro said:

Your immigration process is far from over. If you receive the K1 visa, you will have to marry within 90 days and apply for your green card. When you apply for the green card you will have to apply for work authorization (now an extra fee) and advanced parole (another additional fee). You won’t be able to work until your receive the work card or green card. 
it would have been less stressful applying after getting married as- your process would have taken the same amount of time. Which you had to do “together” as that is what couples do. 

I am aware of these basic information that I can find doing a small google search but I disagree, that's not stressful at all to me, and it's not bothering to me, it would be less stressful to someone only seeking a green card maybe , but me I'm seeking to be with the person I love, so once I am with the person I love, nothing else would really matter and I'll do those things like going through any other everyday life thing, completely unbothered but happy being married and living with the person I love 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you do not travel how did you hook up?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
19 minutes ago, curious_creek225 said:

not baseless guessing opinions

I'd guess the users here have seen a "few" more cases than you have....and that isn't baseless.  Many of our users have years of history on which to answer questions.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 hours ago, curious_creek225 said:

I am aware of these basic information that I can find doing a small google search but I disagree, that's not stressful at all to me, and it's not bothering to me, it would be less stressful to someone only seeking a green card maybe , but me I'm seeking to be with the person I love, so once I am with the person I love, nothing else would really matter and I'll do those things like going through any other everyday life thing, completely unbothered but happy being married and living with the person I love 

I did not move to the US for a green card. It was very important for me to be able to work and drive around my city as soon as I could. I was not able to drive for 1 month for various reasons and I was very frustrated. 
This member is from Canada and was thinking of moving back to Canada because they found the waiting for EAD and GC so stressful. 

Love and being together is not the only solution to some problems. Sometimes you have to be more pragmatic especially when immigration is involved. 

My questions and answers to you were based on things I’ve seen here on VJ and in other situations. 

Hopefully I am wrong and your interview will go well, and you will be able to move to the US and have your beautiful wedding in August- but be aware many people have a small court wedding when they arrive on K1 and then a bigger wedding 1-2 years later (the thing you want to avoid). This is more common than you think. 

Good luck! 

If you can return to the forum to tell us about the interview we would really love it. This can help others in the same situation as you know what to expect. 

5 hours ago, curious_creek225 said:

iI'm  asking for professional opinions or similar past experiences in the same consulate, not baseless guessing opinions even tho all is appreciated, thank you all 

Here are reviews for K1 from Tunisia:

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Tunisia&cty=&dfilter=5&topic=K1+Visa

Here are CR1/IR1 visa interviews from Tunisia: 

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Tunisia&cty=&dfilter=5&topic=IR-1%2FCR-1+Visa

This can give you some ideas of what type of questions to expect and the differences between K1/CR1 process for your consulate. 

ETA: You can click on the usernames to read more about their stories.

Here is one:

Edited by Redro

10 hours ago, curious_creek225 said:

the relationship chose me and I didn't choose, never thought I'd marry internationally, I just met this person and we matched well, and we're really into each other, neither of us like that's it's international or thought it'd be this way, which makes it extra frustrating but you do what you need to do to be with the right person 

This is entirely incorrect.  You obviously choose to be with your partner.  And, when we CHOOSE overseas partners, separation is a part of the process, as are the extra costs, delays, bumps in the road, etc.

The two of you chose to submit a fiancee petition after having spent the bare minimum time together, with no subsequent visits, and for a high-risk, high-fraud consulate.

Had you found your way to VJ before applying, we would have advised you to do whatever you could to maximize your chances of an approval.  Unfortunately that did not happen.

Often in cases like yours, the petition is sent back to USCIS and the couple ends up marrying and refiling.  Keep in mind if you do this, that another two week visit is not going to be adequate, either.  Due to green card marriage fraud coming from certain countries, the burden of proof to show evidence of a bonafide marriage is higher than for low fraud countries.

10 hours ago, curious_creek225 said:

I'm asking for professional opinions or similar past experiences in the same consulate, not baseless guessing opinions even tho all is appreciated, thank you all 

Actually no -  you're asking for FREE information of strangers on the internet.  Feel free to hire a professional.

Every single person commenting on this thread has been on VJ for YEARS, reading stories similar to yours, and how they end up.  Does that mean we know what will happen in your case?  No.  But, we know that they way you've gone about this has odds stacked against you, and there are things you could have/can still do to improve your chances of immigrating to the US.

Timeline
8 hours ago, SalishSea said:

This is entirely incorrect.  You obviously choose to be with your partner.  And, when we CHOOSE overseas partners, separation is a part of the process, as are the extra costs, delays, bumps in the road, etc.

The two of you chose to submit a fiancee petition after having spent the bare minimum time together, with no subsequent visits, and for a high-risk, high-fraud consulate.

Had you found your way to VJ before applying, we would have advised you to do whatever you could to maximize your chances of an approval.  Unfortunately that did not happen.

Often in cases like yours, the petition is sent back to USCIS and the couple ends up marrying and refiling.  Keep in mind if you do this, that another two week visit is not going to be adequate, either.  Due to green card marriage fraud coming from certain countries, the burden of proof to show evidence of a bonafide marriage is higher than for low fraud countries.

what is incorrect is taking your own standards and applying them to everybody else, not everyone feels and think like you do, people are different and we should accept that, not everyone needs to live and be physically with their partner for long before marriage, some people are just not like that, and co are experienced enough and smart enough to know that, that's why approval rates for k1 visa are actually high even in a "high fraud" consulate like Tunis, 

and again no, neither of us knew any of this when we chose to be together, these technicalities and timing came up after a long everyday maintained online communication that made us know each other very well without the need to be physically in the same place because we both prioritized personalities over anything else, 

have I found it or not( btw I know VJ since ever I didn't just discover it), before we filed we took several professional opinions from a number of experienced immigrations attorneys that guaranteed it would go well even with one visit,

these types of negative comments that only tends to diminish other people's relationships and efforts and try to put them in a place of desperation is exactly what I called baseless opinions before and thank you but it's no needed here

8 hours ago, SalishSea said:

Actually no -  you're asking for FREE information of strangers on the internet.  Feel free to hire a professional.

Every single person commenting on this thread has been on VJ for YEARS, reading stories similar to yours, and how they end up.  Does that mean we know what will happen in your case?  No.  But, we know that they way you've gone about this has odds stacked against you, and there are things you could have/can still do to improve your chances of immigrating to the US.

There's only a few stories that are similar to my story with the same type of visa and in the same consulate that are recent enough, and I also read them all and there's not much of help in those, so no that's actually not accurate 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, curious_creek225 said:

what I called baseless opinions before and thank you but it's no needed here

The only opinion which counts is that of the Consulate Officer.  More time together is ALWAYS a good thing for US immigration...especially for some countries.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.