TonyMacaroni

Has anyone been denied boarding with a K1 visa but without a return ticket?

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. Just curious if anyone had an experience like this. I’ll fly with Turkish Airlines in a matter of days and I only have a one-way ticket. They’ve been known to extort their customers to purchase a round trip ticket from them or deny boarding (tourists going to Mexico, I don’t know about K1 visas). Please share

Edited by TonyMacaroni

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You don't need a round-trip ticket for a K-1.  Tell them it's a one-way trip.  If they force you to buy a round trip ticket, just cancel the return leg and get a refund after arriving in the US.

or choose another airline.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Ideally, the airlines gate/boarding agents should know that K1 visa is a one-way ticket. But that does not mean they are all well-versed on all the different US entry documents.

My K1 visa beneficiary had more interrogating questions from the gate agent than the Port of Entry US CBP. I did anticipate some of the hassles and called the airline a couple of days before to leave a note on the flight reservation for the gate agent that the US entry document is K1 visa and a one-way ticket. This might help if your K1 beneficiary is from a weak passport country.

Edited by EatBulaga

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

You don't need a round-trip ticket for a K-1.  Tell them it's a one-way trip.  If they force you to buy a round trip ticket, just cancel the return leg and get a refund after arriving in the US.

or choose another airline.

The main problem I guess is that the round trip ticket is at least $800 more and that could be a problem for us, especially knowing that some airlines just don’t refund the return ticket. Also Turkish Airlines are known to demand a single booking with one PNR for both legs and AFAIK it’s hard to impossible to convert a one way into a ticket like that after the purchase. So it’s problematic in many ways. There’s a chance that if I’m denied boarding at the gate, the $1000 paid for the ticket will be simply gone due to them claiming it’s my fault I didn’t have the proper travel documents. Another airline - impossible since those all go through the EU or UK where I need a visa even for the transit. Now I’m almost regretting not booking the ticket to Mexico instead where I’m a lawful resident.

14 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

Ideally, the airlines gate/boarding agents should know that K1 visa is a one-way ticket. But that does not mean they are all well-versed on all the different US entry documents.

My K1 visa beneficiary had more interrogating questions from the gate agent than the Port of Entry US CBP. I did anticipate some of the hassles and called the airline a couple of days before to leave a note on the flight reservation for the gate agent that the US entry document is K1 visa and a one-way ticket. This might help if your K1 beneficiary is from a weak passport country.

I showed her your post and she called them… thrice. No one understood the question “Will you board him on a K1 visa without a return ticket” or they pretended to not understand it. They also told her she can’t leave a note to the agent. I wrote to their twitter customer service and they just told me that they don’t have the authority to determine what documents I need to travel anywhere and I should contact the embassy. lol. basically a non-answer. The boarding agents often have their own idea of what one should have.

Edited by TonyMacaroni

you only need a valid ticket , valid visa and valid passport to board. Whether you get one way ticker or two way ticket is not airlines concern

Never heard of airlines demanding you have a two way ticket. 

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Some airlines DO require return tickets indeed.

But you're on a K1 visa and you will not have any issues whatsoever.

✈️ Certified Travel Professional / Owner of two travel companies (Greece & USA) - Contact me for any travel related questions or Join my Travel Hub Info Group

March 2020 - Met / Started dating LDR

October 2020 - Met in person

December 2020 - Decided to get engaged/married
May 2021 - K1 filed

December 2021 - Travelled to the states on ESTA

June 2022 - K1 approval

September 2022 - NVC case number

October 2022 - Case sent to the embassy

November 2022 - Postponed interview for 1 year - Couldn't leave country yet due to work obligations

November 2022 - Travelled to the states on ESTA - 2nd time

September 2023 - Resumed case / took medical

October 2023 - Embessy interview - Approved

December 2023 - Arrived at the states

February 2024 - Married

March 2024 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

March 2024 - Biometrics 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
6 hours ago, TonyMacaroni said:

Also Turkish Airlines are known to demand a single booking with one PNR for both legs and AFAIK it’s hard to impossible to convert a one way into a ticket like that after the purchase. So it’s problematic in many ways. There’s a chance that if I’m denied boarding at the gate, the $1000 paid for the ticket will be simply gone due to them claiming it’s my fault I didn’t have the proper travel documents. Another airline - impossible since those all go through the EU or UK where I need a visa even for the transit. Now I’m almost regretting not booking the ticket to Mexico instead where I’m a lawful resident.

That is not true. They cannot demand one PNR. Someone has been telling you total BS. 

Also, the airline system at the airport will show that your visa is ok for one way flight. It doesn't matter what the agent knows. The system will tell them that you are ok for one way. 

You don't need round trip ticket period. If the airport agent won't allow you to check in, ask for a supervisor. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 hour ago, igoyougoduke said:

you only need a valid ticket , valid visa and valid passport to board. Whether you get one way ticker or two way ticket is not airlines concern

Never heard of airlines demanding you have a two way ticket. 

Most airlines will require proof of return if you are on tourist visa, but not round trip ticket.

Over last few decades I've been asked for the proof twice. 

I had one way ticket Washington - London - Bangkok and the gate agent at London asked me for proof of flight out of BKK. 

Same thing when I was flying Phuket - Singapore. The check in agent at Phuket airport asked me for proof of departure from Singapore. 

Both times I showed them itinerary flying with different airlines and everything was good. 

The airlines are trying to protect themselves. If the passenger flying on one way ticket on a tourist visa is denied entry, the airline get penalized (I think $3500 per person) + they have to cover that persons' flight back to the place where he/she came from before being denied entry to US in this case. 

Heck, I'm flying Turkish Airlines one way next month. However, I'm flying on tourist visa and I have separate one way ticket for flight back with different airlines. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Congratulations!

-----

The situation is resolved, so this thread is now closed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.