red12345

i-751 and N-400 questions

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

If you are eligible for naturalization then go ahead and submit N-400 and get the process rolling. No need to wait until the I-751 is approved. 

Note however that you'll not be allowed to take the naturalization oath until the I-751 is approved. It's possible you could also get a combo interview for both I-751 and N-400. Good luck.

Edited by nastra30

4 hours ago, red12345 said:

Thanks for your replay. I'm just worried about the combo interview. and to memorize everything and all the stress that day. that's why I was wondering if I should wait.

Wait doesn't guarantee your I-751 will be approved without interview.  Filing N-400 doesn't always mean you'll have combo interview. Sometimes I-751 gets approved before N-400 interview without interview.

Whether to file N-400 or not depends on your marriage. If it is strong, file today. If you have or had issues, don't file N-400 on 3 year rule.

Edited by OldUser

2 minutes ago, red12345 said:

My Marriage is great no Issues at all. all Im saying is about memorizing all the questions for the citizenship and how hard it is that's what my question is. thanks

I studied the questions/answers over an evening and tested myself during the following week.  I think how "easy" it is will depend on many factors (how many answers do you already know? how rusty are your cramming skills? etc.) 

I would start by reading the questions and answers, and I think you will be able to gauge how big of a project it is going to be for you. Don't get discouraged by really long answers, you usually only need to know a few of all the listed items (ex. Name two cabinet-level positions).

Great

4 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

I studied the questions/answers over an evening and tested myself during the following week.  I think how "easy" it is will depend on many factors (how many answers do you already know? how rusty are your cramming skills? etc.) 

I would start by reading the questions and answers, and I think you will be able to gauge how big of a project it is going to be for you. Don't get discouraged by really long answers, you usually only need to know a few of all the listed items (ex. Name two cabinet-level positions).

Great, Thank you! Yes I will try to do that. and what evidence should I submit with the N-400?

2 minutes ago, red12345 said:

Great

Great, Thank you! Yes I will try to do that. and what evidence should I submit with the N-400?

For the N-400 evidence, others members will be able to assist you better.  I only studied because I think it is important to know those things about my country of residence, I have no plan of becoming a citizen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
9 hours ago, red12345 said:

Great

The N400 is basically an extension of the 751, so if you're applying under the 3- year rule you should submit evidence of a bona fide marriage. The instructions tell you exactly what to submit -read them thoroughly.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
18 hours ago, red12345 said:

Thanks for your replay. I'm just worried about the combo interview. and to memorize everything and all the stress that day. that's why I was wondering if I should wait.

Another vote to apply as soon as you are eligible.  Otherwise, you could be waiting for a very long time for the I-751 approval (I say this from experience).

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband also applied for his N-400 while his I-751 was pending. He was a citizen about six months later!

19 hours ago, red12345 said:

Hi Everyone, My I-751 is still pending and I'm eligible to apply for citizenship. should I apply now? or wait until my I-751 get approved? I'm not sure what's the best thing to do. my I-751 is over a year now since I applied. any advice would appreciate it so much. Thanks!

I say apply. I submitted my N400 while my I-751 was pending. A month after filing, my i-751 got approved without an interview and two months later I attended my N400 interview and took oath on the same day. It took 3 months from filing to become a U.S. citizen. 

Good luck! 

Just now, Aimless_wanderer said:

I say apply. I submitted my N400 while my I-751 was pending. A month after filing, my i-751 got approved without an interview and two months later I attended my N400 interview and took oath on the same day. It took 3 months from filing to become a U.S. citizen. 

Good luck! 

That's Great. congrats! what evidence did you Include with your N-400? and how was the citizenship interview? 

20 hours ago, red12345 said:

6 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Another vote to apply as soon as you are eligible.  Otherwise, you could be waiting for a very long time for the I-751 approval (I say this from experience).

I concur with @Crazy Cat and I also say this from experience. When you apply for your N400 it is done online it's all laid out neatly and they tell you exactly what to submit. Another reason to do it now is the changing political climate, best to get it done and over with as you do not know what the future may bring.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.