Elle84

N-400 - how much time between interview letter and actual interview?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello beautiful people!

I have the following situation:

N-400 online filing: 11/12/2023

USCIS actively reviewing case: 11/12/2023 (no biometrics, I got a "reuse biometrics" notification, probably from my ROC in 2022)

Currently it says about 5 months wait time until a decision will be made (that's for people applying under 5-year rule in my area; I applied under the 3-year rule so that estimate can be totally irrelevant).

I am in Houston, TX.

So assuming I will get an interview letter in early June this year - how far out will the actual interview date be from the date I receive the letter?

Asking this because of course I am planning on traveling for vacation to my home country for 2 weeks between last week of June and 2nd week of July.

I already know that "vacation" is not exactly a valid reason to try to move your interview date, and I am planning to book tickets in a way that makes the trip date change possible. But the trip still has to happen at some point during summer and I don't want to give it up altogether.

Thanks so much!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

When I went through the process last year my interview notice showed up in my online account about 6 weeks before the interview date, but it took almost two weeks until the paper notice showed up. I did hear some folks getting the notice as late as 2 weeks before the interview, so it will definitely vary. 

For maximum early warning be sure to check your online account at least weekly - I got no notification that my case had been updated so I would not have seen it without logging in regularly.

Timeline
35 minutes ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

When I went through the process last year my interview notice showed up in my online account about 6 weeks before the interview date, but it took almost two weeks until the paper notice showed up. I did hear some folks getting the notice as late as 2 weeks before the interview, so it will definitely vary. 

For maximum early warning be sure to check your online account at least weekly - I got no notification that my case had been updated so I would not have seen it without logging in regularly.

Thanks so much, this helps tremendously. I do check my myUSCIS online account weekly as I don't get notifications either. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline
2 hours ago, Elle84 said:

Currently it says about 5 months wait time until a decision will be made (that's for people applying under 5-year rule in my area; I applied under the 3-year rule so that estimate can be totally irrelevant).

I am in Houston, TX.

So assuming I will get an interview letter in early June this year - how far out will the actual interview date be from the date I receive the letter?

Why are you assuming June, to start with? Have you looked at this?

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/citlist.php?op6=All&op7=Houston+TX&op1=3&op2=&op4=1&op5=5%2C10%2C11&cfl=0

-- h

PS The estimated wait time on the USCIS website is not to be trusted (was wrong for me, and many others, too)

Edited by harry.st

Timeline
9 minutes ago, harry.st said:

Why are you assuming June? Have you looked at this?

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/citlist.php?op6=All&op7=Houston+TX&op1=3&op2=&op4=1&op5=5%2C10%2C11&cfl=0

-- h

PS The estimated wait time on the USCIS website is not to be trusted (was wrong for me, and many others, too)

Wow ok :) I had no idea that section of the forum even existed. And I've been around for 4+ years lol. Thanks so much!!! And double wow - looks like Houston is SO fast?

Honestly I assumed June because we're in January, and my myUSCIS today said 5 months... so January + 5 months = June :)). This will be interesting.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Elle84 said:

And double wow - looks like Houston is SO fast?

Honestly I assumed June because we're in January, and my myUSCIS today said 5 months... so January + 5 months = June :)). This will be interesting.

The thing to stress about is your passport - not the interview. Now, this can get in the way of your vacation. Easily.

As a US citizen, it is next to impossible to fly back without one (the airline will likely not let you board the plane). Last summer, with all the post-COVID revenge travel happening, it was taking 4-5 months to get a new one (things have improved... but again, fewer people are travelling in the winter. You do not have to believe me - just search on reddit). 

Now there are ways around it (either while still in the US or at the consulate in Bucharest), but is it neither easy nor pleasant. You've got some reading to do - information abounds.

Edited by harry.st

Timeline
20 minutes ago, harry.st said:

The thing to stress about is your passport - not the interview. Now, this can get in the way of your vacation. Easily.

As a US citizen, it is next to impossible to fly back without one (the airline will likely not let you board the plane). Last summer, with all the post-COVID revenge travel happening, it was taking 4-5 months to get a new one (things have improved... but again, fewer people are travelling in the winter. You do not have to believe me - just search on reddit). 

Now there are ways around it (either while still in the US or at the consulate in Bucharest), but is it neither easy nor pleasant. You've got some reading to do - information abounds.

OMG. Thank you for this! It didn't even cross my mind. That makes sense. They take your green card when you become a citizen so you need the US passport to actually get back in I guess. I checked Reddit now and I see that I really can't make any assumptions . It doesn't look like I can even book the flights until I have the actual passport, anything else would be too risky. Such a bummer. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Elle84 said:

OMG. Thank you for this! It didn't even cross my mind. That makes sense. They take your green card when you become a citizen so you need the US passport to actually get back in I guess. I checked Reddit now and I see that I really can't make any assumptions . It doesn't look like I can even book the flights until I have the actual passport, anything else would be too risky. Such a bummer. 

You definitely do NOT need a passport to get back in. US citizens cannot be denied entry to the country. So if you can make it to the border, you are fine (w/ your naturalization certificate, that proves you are a US citizen); the border agent has to let you in.

You need a passport to board the plane. 

The law says US citizens must use their passport to enter + exit the country by air. Chances are you can use the Romanian one on your way out (people have done it.  Airlines do not really care). However, flying back, before boarding, you get asked some questions (basically, how do you plan to be allowed in the country; I am sure you have seen it).

You can avoid these pre-boarding questions, and thus make it to the border via a) chartering your own flight b) sailing to a port c) the Mexico or Canada land border (I personally recommend a)).

But do not despair, there is hope: you can apply for a passport on an emergency basis 2 weeks before you fly out. It is hard to get a slot, though (last summer fun reads on Reddit). Or you can get the passport in Bucharest (I got mine, in Athens, in 8 days. If I wanted an "emergency" one it would have been same day). Again, you will need some luck...

Or... you can delay the oath ceremony.

Just read up on stuff.

Edited by harry.st

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
6 hours ago, harry.st said:

I recently applied for my passport after naturalization in end of october....it only took 2,5 weeks to get my passport! Still waiting to get the naturalization certificate back though! 

I got notification that interview was scheduled on November 29th on case tracker. I logged into USCIS and saw it was scheduled for Jan 4th, took another 2 weeks for physical letter to arrive. Another 10 days later I got a letter saying it would be a combo interview. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
10 hours ago, Elle84 said:

Hello beautiful people!

USCIS actively reviewing case: 11/12/2023 (no biometrics, I got a "reuse biometrics" notification, probably from my ROC in 2022)

I am in Houston, TX.

Asking this because of course I am planning on traveling for vacation to my home country for 2 weeks between last week of June and 2nd week of July.

I already know that "vacation" is not exactly a valid reason to try to move your interview date, and I am planning to book tickets in a way that makes the trip date change possible. But the trip still has to happen at some point during summer and I don't want to give it up altogether.

Thanks so much!!

Someone got an interview notice and they filed in the December thread. Check with Lawfully app too. 

Edited by Visitor User

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Plan for your interview to be in February not June. My wife's N400 took 4 months from the time we applied to certificate in hand. 

The passport with the expedited fee took 2 weeks. 

If I were you, I wouldn't plan any trips outside of US for now. Vacations can wait. Finish your process and then enjoy the fruits :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

TLDR: Houston citizenship processing is fast and passports are currently back to regular, reasonable processing times.

Houston filer here.  I applied about this time last year, online.  I had my first NOA within a day.  I was notified of biometrics within the week.  I applied under the 3 year minus 90 day rule, so I had to actually accrue my 3 years (April 1).  My interview was scheduled for April 10 and my oath ceremony on April 27.  

I had imminent international travel for work, so I did waste 2 days of my life, sitting in the passport office.  Do not recommend unless absolutely necessary.  It was LONG and BORING sitting there.  

We just applied for new, expedited passports for my kids (Dec. 19) and I already have one passport in hand and Informed Delivery is showing a second package from the Tucson passport office scheduled for this week, so I'm assuming it's the second passport.  I have no idea when we'll get our documents and the kids' passport cards sent to us.  

When DH did his citizenship in 2017, it took 19 months.  We were fully expecting it to take a lot longer than 4 months.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline

Thanks so so much everyone! Given all the above I would rather wait until I have the passport (or at least the passport application sent) to book the trip, even with flexible dates. I have too much going on to have the added stress of this uncertainty on top of it, and yes I do want to visit home but not as much as to make that stress worth it or risk anything go wrong. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
18 hours ago, Elle84 said:

Hello beautiful people!

I am in Houston, TX.

Thanks so much!!

We filed 11/15/2023 and in Houston also, Biometrics was re-used also, and just waiting for interview letter and or on line updates

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.