Hypnos

N-400 Dallas, TX Filers (Merged Threads)

1,065 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
10 hours ago, Dongbei said:

Can you just ask at the interview and then decide if there’s a big backlog?

Our marriage certificate is in Chinese (though translated in an official notarized copy from the government in China) and I see it being a huge hassle to get agencies to change her name based on that. 

If your question is around backlog size, most officers wont know that firsthand. They will say a couple of weeks to months as a general timeline. 

The easier part is to be able to change the initial response at the interview. If you said you want to change your name and change your mind, just let the officer at the start of the interview that you want to change the response and they will be mostly happy to accomodate. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Nkrish83 said:

If your question is around backlog size, most officers wont know that firsthand. They will say a couple of weeks to months as a general timeline. 

The easier part is to be able to change the initial response at the interview. If you said you want to change your name and change your mind, just let the officer at the start of the interview that you want to change the response and they will be mostly happy to accomodate. 

So I just talked to a lady at the USCIS Application Support Center and she's saying it's actually super simple. We're just changing my wife's last name to be the same as mine. She said they'll just write it on the naturalization certificate info form and then it'll be official once she swears the oath. All of them are done before a federal judge in our area and they do them 2-4 times a month. 

She said we don't even really need to change it legally since we have a marriage certificate, but I'm concerned that would be a hassle for DL, Passport, etc. etc.

8/16/18 -- Married

10/23/18 -- I-130 filed (DCF in Beijing)

12/03/18 -- I-130 approved

12/23/18 -- Packet 3 Sent to GZ

12/28/18 -- Packet 4 received

02/14/19 -- Interview in GZ -- approved!

Total: 113 days from filing to approval

07/15/19 -- Entered US

08/13/19 -- Applied for Social Security Card

08/16/19 -- Green Card received

08/22/19 -- Social Security Card received

6/22/21 – I-751 (Removal of Conditions) mailed out via USPS

6/29/21 - I-751 NOA

9/17/21 - I-751 Biometrics

6/8/22 - I-751 approved (interview waived under new 2022 rule)

6/15/22 - 10-year GC received in mail!

Total: 358 days from filing to receiving 10-year GC

6/18/22 - N-400 filed online

11/18/22 - Interview scheduled for Dallas Field Office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dongbei said:

So I just talked to a lady at the USCIS Application Support Center and she's saying it's actually super simple. We're just changing my wife's last name to be the same as mine. She said they'll just write it on the naturalization certificate info form and then it'll be official once she swears the oath. All of them are done before a federal judge in our area and they do them 2-4 times a month. 

She said we don't even really need to change it legally since we have a marriage certificate, but I'm concerned that would be a hassle for DL, Passport, etc. etc.

Interesting perspective and i'm going to let the folks who actually did a name change comment on the above. My understanding was that you'd get a Nat Cert + Name change court approval doc which would then ease the process of changing name at SSA/DL/DoS etc. Not sure how it would work when you just show a Nat Cert that reflects a different name than the one listed currently. 

2 hours ago, Dongbei said:

I've seen comments from people here who said they experienced delay when they requested name change during the interview. But if you still want to go ahead and request a name change, that's perfectly fine. No extra documentation will be requested of you. However, expect a slight delay in getting your certificate....my opinion. I might be wrong.

And the lady is right, changing your last name is very easy. You don't even need USCIS to do it for you. Your marriage certificate has already done it! And if you want your driver's license and SSN to reflect your desired last name, just communicate with DMV and SSA directly, the only document they will request for is your marriage certificate.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, LivFavor said:

I've seen comments from people here who said they experienced delay when they requested name change during the interview. But if you still want to go ahead and request a name change, that's perfectly fine. No extra documentation will be requested of you. However, expect a slight delay in getting your certificate....my opinion. I might be wrong.

And the lady is right, changing your last name is very easy. You don't even need USCIS to do it for you. Your marriage certificate has already done it! And if you want your driver's license and SSN to reflect your desired last name, just communicate with DMV and SSA directly, the only document they will request for is your marriage certificate.

What about using a foreign marriage certificate? That's my major concern. 

8/16/18 -- Married

07/15/19 -- Entered US

6/29/21 - I-751 NOA

Timeline
2 hours ago, LivFavor said:

Should I just have my wife ask the officer then? She'll want the certificate to have our last name on it so it'll make getting a passport easier. It seems like both the courts and USCIS are kinda clueless on this though. They both say it is the other party that handles it. 

8/16/18 -- Married

07/15/19 -- Entered US

6/29/21 - I-751 NOA

9 hours ago, Dongbei said:

Should I just have my wife ask the officer then? She'll want the certificate to have our last name on it so it'll make getting a passport easier. It seems like both the courts and USCIS are kinda clueless on this though. They both say it is the other party that handles it. 

If I were the one, I wouldn't request a name change during the interview. However once I get the naturalization certificate, I will request they use my hubby lastname when applying for passport, they will need my marriage certificate (also translated in English). However, that's me. Your wife can choose a different route, and that's perfectly fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, M@K12 said:

Interview is scheduled as of yesterday. But I Can not open PDF link on account.

I just called USCIS and My interview is on Dec 12 at 10.30 am. 

2 hours ago, M@K12 said:

I just called USCIS and My interview is on Dec 12 at 10.30 am. 

My interview is Dec 12 9:45am 😊

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I just checked my wife's USCIS account.  Her N-400 interview is scheduled for Dec 14TH!!!!    WooHoo!!!

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

I feel like my process happened very quickly. Since I was a bit bored I logged into my account t to see if there were any updates on my I-751 since I filed it over a year ago and nothing has happened except for doing biometrics which I assumed happened due to filing N-400. I applied for my N-400 2 months ago and got an interview 12/15. Unfortunately I had to call right away to request to reschedule so I’m hoping that will not cause any problems. We have a trip to Sweden 12/11 and the airline wanted $2680 to reschedule to a later date so I had to call USCIS. I was so sure nothing would happen with my case until this coming spring or so…! 

Im still curious on what will happen with the I-751 application and if they will do a combined interview, separate or no interview at all…

Married: 01/26/2019

I130 NOA1 (PD): 02/20/2019 (Nebraska)

K3 NOA1 (PD): 05/29/2019 

I-130 NOA2: 07/18/2019

*waiting for NVC case number*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.