Hypnos

N-400 Dallas, TX Filers (Merged Threads)

1,065 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/15/2022 at 3:58 AM, lucy23shirley said:

Anyone knows how long the oath ceremony is?

I'm in Houston for two weeks and booking same day flights to Dallas to attend the oath 

Thanks! 

@PalRish stated that it could take 2.5 hrs.

Citizenship Journey:

K-1 Visa - Citizenship: 04/14/2015 - 09/20/22

7 Years 5 Months 0 Weeks 6 Days 10 Hours 30 Minutes 0 Seconds

US Passport Journey: (Expedited) 

USPS Passport Appointment: September 29th, 2022

Passport Office Received Documents: October 3rd, 2022

Passport Application Approved: October 19th, 2022

Passport Received: October 21st, 2022

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=215312

DECEMBER 2022 N400 FILERS: (Update To Help Your Fellow Filers)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

Timeline

Hi y’all! I sent in my N-400 online 9/10/2022 and so far it’s moving quicker than my I-751 (I came on a Cr-1 visa). I got a notice today that I got a biometrics appointment in 2.5 weeks so that’s good. My other removal of condition application is still only received 1 year after sending it it. 

After biometrics, how long is the wait for the next step? Or is that very individual? When I looked online (before I applied) it said 12-16 months in Dallas, but after my application was sent it said approximately 9 months on my account based on applicants that applied after 5 year (I applied after 3). Just curious since the hardest part about this is planning. I want to travel to celebrate my moms birthday next year so I’m just hoping everything is gonna go well and work itself out easy. 

Married: 01/26/2019

I130 NOA1 (PD): 02/20/2019 (Nebraska)

K3 NOA1 (PD): 05/29/2019 

I-130 NOA2: 07/18/2019

*waiting for NVC case number*

Timeline
18 hours ago, C-Sweden said:

Hi y’all! I sent in my N-400 online 9/10/2022 and so far it’s moving quicker than my I-751 (I came on a Cr-1 visa). I got a notice today that I got a biometrics appointment in 2.5 weeks so that’s good. My other removal of condition application is still only received 1 year after sending it it. 

After biometrics, how long is the wait for the next step? Or is that very individual? When I looked online (before I applied) it said 12-16 months in Dallas, but after my application was sent it said approximately 9 months on my account based on applicants that applied after 5 year (I applied after 3). Just curious since the hardest part about this is planning. I want to travel to celebrate my moms birthday next year so I’m just hoping everything is gonna go well and work itself out easy. 

Mine took exactly 9 months , but that could be cause they used my old biometrics. Also when u take that pic I’m the biometrics make sure to look good if you like cause that’s the pic they are gonna use on your certificate. 

Citizenship Journey:

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

Timeline
39 minutes ago, MASH said:

Mine took exactly 9 months , but that could be cause they used my old biometrics. Also when u take that pic I’m the biometrics make sure to look good if you like cause that’s the pic they are gonna use on your certificate. 

Wow that you! I didn’t know that about the photo. I don’t want it to end up like my current driver license. I was just changing the address and since my husband did his change online (usc) I thought I would use my old picture too. They required me to retake mine and I was not prepared and I hate my DL so much😂😂😂

Thanks for sharing your timeline too! 9 months isn’t to bad at all and since my removal of condition has been in the same status for a year now I’ll take whatever! 

Married: 01/26/2019

I130 NOA1 (PD): 02/20/2019 (Nebraska)

K3 NOA1 (PD): 05/29/2019 

I-130 NOA2: 07/18/2019

*waiting for NVC case number*

Timeline
36 minutes ago, C-Sweden said:

Wow that you! I didn’t know that about the photo. I don’t want it to end up like my current driver license. I was just changing the address and since my husband did his change online (usc) I thought I would use my old picture too. They required me to retake mine and I was not prepared and I hate my DL so much😂😂😂

Thanks for sharing your timeline too! 9 months isn’t to bad at all and since my removal of condition has been in the same status for a year now I’ll take whatever! 

No prob,

wish someone told me lol 😆, cause when I did mine I looked like a hot mess cuz my alarm in my hotel didn’t go off so I had no time to do my hair or anything .

I assumed it wouldn’t have mattered since they take a picture of you at the interview and I thought that’s what they would be using but nope lol 😆,

Citizenship Journey:

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone here recently have interview in Dallas Field Office and request a name change on the process?    Did anyone receive the Oath Ceremony with name change? 

I have my n400 approved on mid July and requested a name change on the interview.  Then the case status stuck on the " Oath ceremony will be scheduled" for about 3 month.  Call uscis several times and could not get an idea on what's going on. 

Checked Dallas district court's schedule, they seems hosting the ceremony quite often. 

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Got our interview scheduled for Nov 18. We filed June 18, 2022. Pretty fast!

They just asked to bring:

You MUST BRING the following with you to the interview:
• This letter.
• Your Alien Registration Card ("green card").
• Any evidence of Selective Service Registration.
• Your passport and/or any other documents you used in connection with any entries into the United States.
• Those items noted below which are applicable to you:
If applying for NATURALIZATION AS THE SPOUSE of a United States Citizen;
• Your marriage certificate.
• Proof of death or divorce for each prior marriage of yourself or spouse.
• Your spouse's birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship.
If applying for NATURALIZATION as a member of the United States Armed Forces;
• Your discharge certificate, or form DD214.
If copies of a document were submitted as evidence with your N400 application, the originals of those documents should be brought to the interview.

Does that mean I have to print out all of the digital documents we submitted?

also, has anyone done the name change process?

8/16/18 -- Married

10/23/18 -- I-130 filed (DCF in Beijing)

12/03/18 -- I-130 approved

12/23/18 -- Packet 3 Sent to GZ

12/28/18 -- Packet 4 received

02/14/19 -- Interview in GZ -- approved!

Total: 113 days from filing to approval

07/15/19 -- Entered US

08/13/19 -- Applied for Social Security Card

08/16/19 -- Green Card received

08/22/19 -- Social Security Card received

6/22/21 – I-751 (Removal of Conditions) mailed out via USPS

6/29/21 - I-751 NOA

9/17/21 - I-751 Biometrics

6/8/22 - I-751 approved (interview waived under new 2022 rule)

6/15/22 - 10-year GC received in mail!

Total: 358 days from filing to receiving 10-year GC

6/18/22 - N-400 filed online

11/18/22 - Interview scheduled for Dallas Field Office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Dongbei said:

• This letter.
• Your passport and/or any other documents you used in connection with any entries into the United States.
• Your spouse's birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship.
If copies of a document were submitted as evidence with your N400 application, the originals of those documents should be brought to the interview.

Congrats!  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 10/21/2022 at 3:53 PM, Dongbei said:

• This letter.

Congrats.

I don't think they want you to print out a copy what you uploaded online. They rather want the original. So for instance, if you uploaded your Birth Certificate, they will need you to come with the original for the interview. 

Regarding Name Change, I will advice you wait till after you get the citizenship before you do the name change.

Edited by LivFavor

Timeline
2 hours ago, LivFavor said:

Congrats.

I don't think they want you to print out a copy what you uploaded online. They rather want the original. So for instance, if you uploaded your Birth Certificate, they will need you to come with the original for the interview. 

Regarding Name Change, I will advice you wait till after you get the citizenship before you do the name change.

Why would you recommend waiting until after citizenship?

8/16/18 -- Married

07/15/19 -- Entered US

6/29/21 - I-751 NOA

28 minutes ago, Dongbei said:

Why would you recommend waiting until after citizenship?

I have heard of situations where a petitioner had to wait for months after the citizenship interview just because she told the case officer that she wants to do a name change. 

Name change based on marriage is pretty easy, you don't need USCIS to do it. Once you get your naturalization certificate, request for a change name with the DMV and the SSA. Once that is done, you can then apply for citizenship passport with your changed name.

But this is just my opinion. There might be a superior recommendation to mine.

Timeline
56 minutes ago, LivFavor said:

I have heard of situations where a petitioner had to wait for months after the citizenship interview just because she told the case officer that she wants to do a name change. 

Name change based on marriage is pretty easy, you don't need USCIS to do it. Once you get your naturalization certificate, request for a change name with the DMV and the SSA. Once that is done, you can then apply for citizenship passport with your changed name.

But this is just my opinion. There might be a superior recommendation to mine.

Curious about this from other Dallas filers. I believe we already selected the "name change" option on the N-400. I thought all of the oath ceremonies are judicial ceremonies since they're done by a judge (we'd be doing the Dallas, Forth Worth, and Lubbock option here: https://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/naturalization-ceremony-schedule ). Does that change anything?

8/16/18 -- Married

07/15/19 -- Entered US

6/29/21 - I-751 NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, Dongbei said:

Curious about this from other Dallas filers. I believe we already selected the "name change" option on the N-400. I thought all of the oath ceremonies are judicial ceremonies since they're done by a judge (we'd be doing the Dallas, Forth Worth, and Lubbock option here: https://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/naturalization-ceremony-schedule ). Does that change anything?

No, not all ceremonies are judicial. Some are, while others are more administrative ceremonies administered directly by USCIS officers. They dont publish the schedule for those, but based on what we see from others, its generally 2-3x a month at plano convention center. 

Specifying that you want to change your name doesnt change anything pre-processing wise during adjudication. When you go for your interview you have the option to keep you current name or opt for a name change. If you do the latter, they will have to put you in for a judicial oath, which may be delayed a bit due to court's availability and how bad that backlog is. 

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Nkrish83 said:

No, not all ceremonies are judicial. Some are, while others are more administrative ceremonies administered directly by USCIS officers. They dont publish the schedule for those, but based on what we see from others, its generally 2-3x a month at plano convention center. 

Specifying that you want to change your name doesnt change anything pre-processing wise during adjudication. When you go for your interview you have the option to keep you current name or opt for a name change. If you do the latter, they will have to put you in for a judicial oath, which may be delayed a bit due to court's availability and how bad that backlog is. 

Can you just ask at the interview and then decide if there’s a big backlog?

Our marriage certificate is in Chinese (though translated in an official notarized copy from the government in China) and I see it being a huge hassle to get agencies to change her name based on that. 

8/16/18 -- Married

07/15/19 -- Entered US

6/29/21 - I-751 NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.