Timona

I have a proposition to help curb NIV overstays

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Timona said:

@JeanneAdil the reason why I said this is because if you think about it, people just do not overstay out of the blues. There's always a relative, already established, in the US or friend who encourages them to overstay or/and provide housing. 

No genuine tourist is just going to come in and pitch tent, without knowing anyone here and find their way, renting, DL etc. So, by saying "guarantor" it was to deter the same family and friends from encouraging this behavior. Trust me, it's always a family member or friend encouraging others to overstay. So, if the same people are asked to guarantee and they know the risks, they wouldn't be encouraging anyone anymore.

One of my neighbor's mom was at the DPS on her first sunrise day in US. Daughter had already scheduled appointment well in advance for her to get DL/ID. As you know, DL/ID will be issued for duration of stay. Guess whos overstaying now and has Texas DL/ ID?? See what I mean? There's always someone encouraging this behavior. Funny thing, daughter is an overstay too, and is currently looking for USC to marry. How do I know about the DL? Posted online for everyone to see.

Daughter overstayed because some relative offered her harbor until "she overstayed her welcome period" and was told to look for her own place (that relative was happy to encourage overstay but won't cater for her long time because it was probably hurting his own $$ and his wife's immigration process). As you see, when it starts hurting them (the encouragers) they wash their hands and throw that responsibility to the government. The lady is now getting free EVERYTHING from the government. You and I are paying for this. 

Anyway, after being thrown out, that's how I met her (she actually told me she was thrown out). So as you can see, it's a trickle down effect....someone already here, encouraging this behavior because they know they won't be held responsible. 

P:S: Just remembered I met another overstay who was staying with her sister until they got in a fight and sister threw her out. She had nowhere to go and was crying and couch surfing. So, as you see:

(1) there's always an encourager.

(2) everything is rosy with the encourager until it's not.

(3) alone, the likelihood of overstayaing is less as you don't know yourself way around. 

I went to both Moroccoa and Peru without knowing anyone 

i wanted to see Machu Picchu in Peru and i volunteered my rehab skills in Rabat to help handicapped and i didn't speak either language when i travel

your idea isn't enforceable /  i applaud you for looking for a solution as our elected officals aren't but most of us are tired of USCIS fees 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

@OldUser respectfully, not sure what you're talking about. It's cold and my brain hasn't fully woken up. Care to explain?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
Just now, JeanneAdil said:

I went to both Moroccoa and Peru without knowing anyone 

i wanted to see Machu Picchu in Peru and i volunteered my rehab skills in Rabat to help handicapped and i didn't speak either language when i travel

And you seem to agree with my point that I said earlier....that is, genuine tourist will arrive and leave. Just like you did. Just like I do as well as many others..

Anyway, mine was just an idea. Other people here have added their own. Ideas is what I was looking for. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Timona said:

@RamonGomezyou may wanna hang around VJ for a while. You'll notice a lot of B-2 come for a "conference" and next thing you hear, they didn't even go to the conference and are married to USC 1 week after entry. Ooo and they randomly met too

congress should pass a law that prevents NIV from AOS /maybe even the K1 holders as too many come, marry and then divorce after green card is issued and Congress has thought to do that but it doesn't pass 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Timona said:

And you seem to agree with my point that I said earlier....that is, genuine tourist will arrive and leave. Just like you did. Just like I do as well as many others..

Anyway, mine was just an idea. Other people here have added their own. Ideas is what I was looking for. 

Keep looking and if u come up with an enforceable idea ,  do a petition to Congress and i will sign

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

congress should pass a law that prevents NIV from AOS /maybe even the K1 holders as too many come, marry and then divorce after green card is issued and Congress has thought to do that but it doesn't pass 

This is one way we can do it. But I'll suggest exclude K-1 from the list. 

Not sure what's brewing because all of a sudden, EADs are 5 years. Now, someone will say "Renewal of EADs was a burden as it creates unnecessary double work for a proces that's free." But I tend to think immigration timeline is about to increase and they'll be taking longer to scrutinize cases and weed out fake marriages, hence the 5 years EAD. That's my thought. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Timona said:

This is one way we can do it. But I'll suggest exclude K-1 from the list. 

Not sure what's brewing because all of a sudden, EADs are 5 years. Now, someone will say "Renewal of EADs was a burden as it creates unnecessary double work for a proces that's free." But I tend to think immigration timeline is about to increase and they'll be taking longer to scrutinize cases and weed out fake marriages, hence the 5 years EAD. That's my thought. 

More like 1 USCIS office passing the buck to another to have local office do the N400 work and therefore the EAD is done on either the 3 or 5 year rule

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
18 minutes ago, OldUser said:

WAVA

VAWA, not WAVA.  :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Timona said:

So, as you see:

(1) there's always an encourager.

(2) everything is rosy with the encourager until it's not.

(3) alone, the likelihood of overstayaing is less as you don't know yourself way around. 

I understand where you're coming from and I don't disagree.  I'd love to see the encourager to be held just as accountable.  That said, the number of financial sponsors that don't even understand what they've signed up for under the current system is pretty alarming.  The T&C and enforcement are so unbelievably watered down for the I-864.  Without actual enforcement for your proposal, I think your plan would be hard pressed to be successful.  People who want to do the correct thing do it.  Those that have an IDGAF attitude find the loopholes.  It makes me mad because the rule followers are not as positively rewarded as the loophole finders seem to be just due to lack of enforcement. 

How in the h-e-double hockey sticks does that person still have a DL in TX?  TX LOVES to do SAVE verification.  I was stuck without a license for 2 weeks because SAVE was slow.  Thank goodness for great friends because this is NOT a transit friendly state, let alone a pedestrian friendly state.  When I had to leave to prevent overstay, my TX DL expired on a certain day, not the end of the month.  Pain in the REAR when trying to get into a rental elsewhere!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline

@mam521, that DL has since expired, but guess what? They have a "DL/ID card." Seen a lot of them to be honest. 

You will be surprised that in this H-E-B state, they have car insurance. I was told "There's ways to get it." I didn't ask further

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
18 hours ago, Timona said:

Not all ideas are pristine. We start somewhere and figure it as we go.

How much money do tourists bring to US? I don't think it's that great. Most stay with family and friends anyway to cut costs as US is expensive AND I'm 100% sure that 70% of the tourist come to vist family and friends  and it's the family and friends that they travel with across the states. I don't see all of them going to Disney parks. So, I don't see US losing money. Additionally, majority of people who come on B-2 refuse to leave. So, it's not like they're touring and splashing money. As much as you say this idea is ridiculous, people who actually come to tour will come to tour and spend. This will not deter them. They're genuine people. Isn't this pretty much the reason why we have visa interviews?? To try and weed non-genuine people? Otherwise, everyone will be here in US. So, look at this as an extension of that. 

Ankle monitors? I don't see it as such. They're countries which require you to actually register and give address of where you'll be staying e.g Kenya, Colombia. People still visit those places. I visit those places.  It's peak tourism season in Kenya right now. Flights are full & expensive yet they have these measures. When I visit such countries, I put that information, do my touring and leave. Tourism is booming. So, again, if you're a genuine tourist, this isn't a problem. This is a problem to those who suddenly fell in love and don't want leave. 

Lastly, I think it's costing US more money to actually provide social services to overstays. So, NO, US is actually on the negative end.

So @OldUser, what's your idea in tackling overtays?

P.S: IIRC, Japan actually requires tourist to register with a touring company before being allowed into the country. The touring company makes sure you do your touring and leave. So, these measures are there. I have not seen USC complain about them in Japan and other countries. Why can't we enact such here. 

I just entered Japan 3 weeks ago as a tourist - I did not need to "register" with a touring company.  That WAS a rule as the COVID shutdown was loosening, but it is not a requirement (for a US Citizen, anyway) now.

Also - Timona, I like the start of the discussion.  However, the turn-around time for a US Citizen/GC holder to locate a notary public (especially if it is a weekday, and you work 9-5) is on the skinny side.  Normally, I would go to my bank - but not every branch has a notary on staff FULL-TIME.  And, how far is everyone from a Staples?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

We could start a bond system, Kind of like posting bond to get out of jail. Those from certain countries who have a habit of never going home get the bigger bond. Those more trusted get a lower one. You get it back when you leave ontime and you lose it if your late.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sukie said:

Also - Timona, I like the start of the discussion.  However, the turn-around time for a US Citizen/GC holder to locate a notary public (especially if it is a weekday, and you work 9-5) is on the skinny side.  Normally, I would go to my bank - but not every branch has a notary on staff FULL-TIME.  And, how far is everyone from a Staples?

People post on our neighborhood Facebook page when they need a notary and there's at least 3 in the hood.  UPS has notaries on staff.  Many postal annexes do.  Many corporations have at least one notary on staff.  I don't think that's the issue because if you want it bad enough, you'll figure it out and get it done.  

Personally, I find the notary thing also rather watered down in the US, but that's a different conversation. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.