Nazim and Debbie

K1 Fiance Visa My Wife disappeared and is unresponsive. Found out from sister that she is having an affair with her co worker and intended just to stay with me until she she saved some money and then move out in an apartment with him. Also charged $10K me

57 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 minutes ago, top_secret said:

AOS is supposed to mean that if she takes public assistance from the government then theoretically the government could come after you for to pay for the public assistance she took.  It doesn't say anything about you writing her a monthly check.  Alimony, divorce etc is a whole different issue but not directly tied to AOS.  I wouldn't pay a dime unless a court orders you to.

That's what I thought, but I read some sources showing courts enforcing monthly payment support checks due to the Affidavit of Support that over rides pre-nups too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Nazim and Debbie said:

That's what I thought, but I read some sources showing courts enforcing monthly payment support checks due to the Affidavit of Support that over rides pre-nups too.

It has always been enforceable for support, but the latest revision spells it out quite clearly on the form itself:

Page 6:  Provide the intending immigrant any support
necessary to maintain him or her at an income that is
at least 125 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
for his or her household size

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You need serious legal help, you are setting yourself up to be hosed.

Not sure when you married but a year ish before she headed out.

I assume she got her GC without interview relatively recently.

Alimony with such a short marriage seems very unlikely, well unless you set yourself up for failure.

You said she is working and obviously can work and in CA the minimum wage is well over the I 864.

As far as your financials in any divorce settlement well I find it hard to believe it will be of consequence and it of course goes both ways, hence the need to Lawyer up.

Take it seriously or expect to suffer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Related threads merged. Please post in this thread for any further questions or updates regarding this topic to keep the discussion in one place.

VJ Moderation 

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Get the meanest, nastiest, most feared divorce attorney you can find.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

OK you had excellent advice and we are now 3 months later, what have you done?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
On 11/2/2023 at 9:58 PM, igoyougoduke said:

First step:

1) File for divorce

2)Cancel all credit cards

3) Cut all contact.

4) Find a new girl friend 

5) Document all contacts and all messages/ pictures/videos . They are your evidence.

6) if she already has green card, there is not much you can do. it is what it is and move on. They are lots of single women waiting for you on the other side :)

Number 3 is most important.

No 4 is the least important - sheesh give the guy a break

Edited by Sam Burns

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

OK you had excellent advice and we are now 3 months later, what have you done?

I don't know why the threads were merged.

The focus of the second thread was specifically about Affidavit of Support

Regarding what I've done so far, not much. Divorce was filed but she been a ghost and haven't been able to serve it.

Edited by Nazim and Debbie

Timeline

Most places allow you to serve by Publication, has your Lawyer mentioned this.

Obviously all these issues need to be discussed with your Lawyer.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Most places allow you to serve by Publication, has your Lawyer mentioned this.

Obviously all these issues need to be discussed with your Lawyer.

I brought up publication to my attorney. We're going to pursue it after attempting to serve it at her boyfreind's house which I found online. He lives with his grand parents.

Edited by Nazim and Debbie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You have received very good advice in the merged threads.  She has a 2-year green card, and can remove conditions on her own with a divorce waiver.  The I-864 is a contract between you, the primary financial sponsor, and the US government.  If she gets means-tested government benefits (which are very narrowly defined), the US government could theoretically ask you to reimburse them, but this rarely happens.  Don't worry about it.  Focus on the divorce.  She could try to use the I-864 in the divorce trial as leverage (do NOT settle with her), but your attorney will counter that with evidence of her infidelity and hidden, malicious intent to use you for a green card.  The divorce judge will decide what, if any, financial arrangement to impose on you in divorce court.  An experienced, aggressive divorce attorney is what you need to get this done, then move on.  

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 2/9/2024 at 6:23 PM, Nazim and Debbie said:

She also constantly talks about faith and god which convinced me she was safe. But she's somehow using it now to justify the running out on the affair.

I'm concerned that She can stop working at any moment and get me on the hook supporting her and her affair partner. 

As a part of the divorce you can demand that she keeps a job

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.