mogox15161

Taking interview in an anti LGBTQ country

13 posts in this topic

This may sound dumb, but if I were to take an interview at an American embassy for my visa as a gay man in a country like United Arab Emirates, could this sabotage my fiance visa? I'm in a gay relationship.

To be clear I'm only concerned about the embassy staff, not the safety outside the embassy (I can be pretty low key). I'm not sure how embassies operate when it comes to this so I wonder if I'd be taking a risk despite having a pretty solid case.

I know I can request my case to be transferred to other countries and I'm not gonna get into why, but my options are already limited and I just want to know if this is doable should alternatives fail.

1 hour ago, mogox15161 said:

This may sound dumb, but if I were to take an interview at an American embassy for my visa as a gay man in a country like United Arab Emirates, could this sabotage my fiance visa? I'm in a gay relationship.

To be clear I'm only concerned about the embassy staff, not the safety outside the embassy (I can be pretty low key). I'm not sure how embassies operate when it comes to this so I wonder if I'd be taking a risk despite having a pretty solid case.

I know I can request my case to be transferred to other countries and I'm not gonna get into why, but my options are already limited and I just want to know if this is doable should alternatives fail.

US consulates interview based on US laws and procedures 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Consulate where you will be interviewing is actually US soil.  The CO's are required to follow US immigration law relative visa interviews, and are more than likely well aware of the issues surrounding LGBT folks/couples in some countries.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You will find many posts from others who have gone through similar situations.

We have for example had posters who have gone through Pakistan.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, mogox15161 said:

Appreciate the first hand experiences and the fact that they should be following US law makes sense, still a little skeptical but at least it could be an option it seems, thanks!

If anyone else went through something like this I'd love to hear

You are not the first to interview in UAE with this issue 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, milimelo said:

Interviewers are American by default - local staff member would not be the one deciding on the visa. 

Our K1 (2009 )  interviewer was a Moroccan woman 

8 hours ago, mogox15161 said:

The country where you reside it's totally irrelevant to that.  My husband took the K1 Visa interview back in 2021 in Jakarta, Indonesia and was approved without issue and was able to travel to the US to get married, due to other matters had to return to Indonesia before receiving his green card, so I had to apply for a Spousal visa, which again was approved without issue and he is now here with me.   

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
23 hours ago, mogox15161 said:

23 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

US embassy should follow US laws and same sex marriages are legal 

BUT remember CO's also consider cultural norms 

Examples for ours was that a Moroccan man would not marry an older Moroccan woman or a widow and i was older and a widow

Hope u get an American interviewer 

More than likely u will be asked what your family thinks of the relationship / this question is very normal for our countries even if a straight couple as its important for the family to approve

Best to Know your fiancee really good to answer all questions honestly

To not volunteer any info the CO does not ask for

Be confident in yourself 

Bring photos to show your family has met him

The best life to the 2 of u

This is good general advice, but I’m not sure they will apply here.

At least it was not my experience.

There was no mention whatsoever of what my family thinks or anything related to our cultural norms. I wouldn’t expect those types of questions. It would be okay for a straight couple, but borderline for a same sex relationship.

In my experience, the local staff asked me if I preferred to have my interview in a private room or in the main room ( where everyone can hear you ). I chose the first option.

For my interaction with the American staff, the questions were :

- When did you meet?

- How do you meet?

- Where did you learn English?

and a last question I think was not part of the interview. My interviewer said: “ If I may ask, where do gay people meet in this country? “

My answer to that last question was : “ I don’t know, I’m not part of any gay community.”

*I truly had no idea of where gay people would meet in my country.

When I came back to pick up my passport with the visa, the same local staff I met was the one who was giving back the passport. He recognized me and was very nice with me. 

So in resume, your interview will be no different than any other interview. Do not worry about being judged, you will be on Americans’ soil and don’t expect questions by that would make you feel uncomfortable. 

Edited by IF-Mclean

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.