fusion58

Apply for Adjustment of Status while in U.S. on B-2 Visa?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Just now, mam521 said:

Yes, and one of the TOS here is frowning upon immigration fraud.  No one is going to suggest ways to commit immigration fraud.  They are going to advise just the opposite. 

Many members here have seen full journeys play out where things aren't caught initially, but then someone tries to naturalize and can't due to missteps.  Everyone here is trying to help you and your partner LEGALLY reunite without future issue.  We see the bigger picture while you're just looking at how you can quickly be together.  Marriage is supposed to be a lifetime deal - this is essentially 2 years out of the rest of your life, or you can misstep and make it many, many years of the rest of your life.  Your choice. 

I clarified the rules applicable to the stated circumstances.  The rules vary with the circumstances.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 minute ago, mam521 said:

Yes, and one of the TOS here is frowning upon immigration fraud.  No one is going to suggest ways to commit immigration fraud.  They are going to advise just the opposite. 

Many members here have seen full journeys play out where things aren't caught initially, but then someone tries to naturalize and can't due to missteps.  Everyone here is trying to help you and your partner LEGALLY reunite without future issue.  We see the bigger picture while you're just looking at how you can quickly be together.  Marriage is supposed to be a lifetime deal - this is essentially 2 years out of the rest of your life, or you can misstep and make it many, many years of the rest of your life.  Your choice. 

Re: Bold:

Again, why do you assume that's what I'm asking for?

Why is seeking clarification re: the rules read as some sort of statement of intent to commit fraud?

6 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Your statement is clear but not correct under the circumstances. She's already here.  If circumstances change, she can adjust status.  The applicable differentiating fact has to do with her intent when she entered.

No, you cannot enter as a visitor with the intent to immigrate. She is HERE already.

What kinds of changes in circumstances are considered valid under such conditions?

And thanks for the attempt at a helpful response.

1 hour ago, fusion58 said:

What kinds of changes in circumstances are considered valid under such conditions?

I have a vivid imagination.

Say she has a B1/2 visa and has a planned 3 week trip.

I have vivid imagination.

On the day before she leaves:

1) she gets into a bad car accident.  She is in a coma for 6 months.  She wakes up after her i94 expiry date.

She needs extensive rehab.  Totally fine to file i-485 regardless of whether i-130 approved.

2) she has a sharp stomach pain - goes to ER.  Finds out she is already 20 weeks pregnant with triplets.

No way to deliver without overstaying visa.  Totally fine to file i-485.

OR reverse the situation

1) YOU get in a bad car accident and are in a coma.

There are a million and one things that can happen.

Edited by manyfudge

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 hours ago, fusion58 said:

My foreign spouse currently has an I-130 application, which was submitted (online) while in her home country, in process.

If my wife is visiting the U.S. on a B-2 visa when the I-130 is approved, then can she apply for an adjustment of status (I-485) so as to avoid having to return to her home country to complete the green card application process?

Outside the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Whether or not it is legal to adjust status depends on the intent at point of entry.

Filing a form I-130 is a clear indication that you want to live in the US. 

Link that to coming to the US and suddenly deciding to AOS ?

USCIS could argue that you made your plans to live in the US known as soon as you filed the I-130. 

• Chancy locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.