fusion58

Apply for Adjustment of Status while in U.S. on B-2 Visa?

27 posts in this topic

My foreign spouse currently has an I-130 application, which was submitted (online) while in her home country, in process.

If my wife is visiting the U.S. on a B-2 visa when the I-130 is approved, then can she apply for an adjustment of status (I-485) so as to avoid having to return to her home country to complete the green card application process?

Thanks for any advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Entering the U.S. with pre-conceived conditional intent to adjust status is still intent to adjust status. 

So this is fraud

8 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Entering the U.S. with pre-conceived conditional intent to adjust status is still intent to adjust status. 

So this is fraud

I'm confused as I'm getting what appears to be conflicting answers when asking this question.

For example, this from an immigration attorney: 

If you have a B-1 or B-2 visa, you can adjust your status by asking your immigration attorney to file Form I-485 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). After USCIS has received and processed your Form I-485, you'll be scheduled for an interview at a USCIS office.

11 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

I'm confused as I'm getting what appears to be conflicting answers when asking this question.

For example, this from an immigration attorney: 

This is for people who are already in the US and had a change in circumstances, not for people who are not in the US yet

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

1 hour ago, Daphne . said:

This is for people who are already in the US and had a change in circumstances, not for people who are not in the US yet

The scenario is one in which my wife is already in the U.S., having entered on her B-2 visa.

If her pending I-130 happens to be approved while she's in the U.S. as a visitor, then does she still need to return to her home country to complete the green card application process, or can she apply for an adjustment of status at that point? Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, fusion58 said:

The scenario is one in which my wife is already in the U.S., having entered on her B-2 visa.

If her pending I-130 happens to be approved while she's in the U.S. as a visitor, then does she still need to return to her home country to complete the green card application process, or can she apply for an adjustment of status at that point? Thanks.

Irrespective of whether the I-130 is approved before or while she's in the US, the preconceived notion of adjusting is fraud.  You've come onto a public forum and stated you want your wife to adjust status, before I-130 is approved and before she's entered the US.  If CBP asked her what the purpose of her visit is and she says visiting while knowing full well you guys are intending to adjust status, she is misrepresenting her intentions to CBP.  This is the fraudulent part and can potentially impact the success of her current petition as well as any future petitions (think naturalization).  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

8 minutes ago, mam521 said:

Irrespective of whether the I-130 is approved before or while she's in the US, the preconceived notion of adjusting is fraud.  You've come onto a public forum and stated you want your wife to adjust status, before I-130 is approved and before she's entered the US.  If CBP asked her what the purpose of her visit is and she says visiting while knowing full well you guys are intending to adjust status, she is misrepresenting her intentions to CBP.  This is the fraudulent part and can potentially impact the success of her current petition as well as any future petitions (think naturalization).  

That's not at all what I asked or suggested.

Again, my question is "if my wife's I-130 happens to be approved while she's in the U.S. as a visitor, then can she apply for an adjustment of status at that point, or no?"

There's no statement of intent here - merely a question re: contingencies and how to prepare for them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
21 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

If her pending I-130 happens to be approved while she's in the U.S. as a visitor

She does not need I-130 to be approved to file I-485. Therefore, the “something unplanned” rationalization for why this is not fraud does not apply.

Ask yourself this question: if at the port of entry, when asked how long she plans to stay, she says “forever if I-130 is approved”, what do you expect will happen?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Again, my question is "if my wife's I-130 happens to be approved while she's in the U.S. as a visitor, then can she apply for an adjustment of status at that point, or no?"

There's no statement of intent here - merely a question re: contingencies and how to prepare for them.

The approval date of the I 130 is irrelevant to your question, so taking that out we are left with

Again, my question is "if she's in the U.S. as a visitor, then can she apply for an adjustment of status at that point, or no?"

She can not use a non immigrant visa to immigrate. Hope this is clear.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Immigration is a privilege, not a right. 

You've come to a public forum and inquired about this.  Now, if you're on the other side of the table in USCIS's and DOS' shoes, how does it look?  Does it look like there was 100% intent to only visit and 0% intent to adjust status?  No.  It looks like you're trying to skirt the lineup that everyone else has had to take a number and wait for.  

The immigration journey, while challenging, is finite and a relatively short amount of time, if you follow the rules.  Break the rules and get caught and you're in for a potential lifetime of hurt.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Actually it is a stupid thing to do but that was not the question.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

18 minutes ago, Mike E said:

She does not need I-130 to be approved to file I-485. Therefore, the “something unplanned” rationalization for why this is not fraud does not apply.

Ask yourself this question: if at the port of entry, when asked how long she plans to stay, she says “forever if I-130 is approved”, what do you expect will happen?

Not sure how you're conflating a simple request for clarification re: the rules as some sort of public statement of intent to commit fraud?

Rather presumptuous, I think.

23 minutes ago, mam521 said:

The immigration journey, while challenging, is finite and a relatively short amount of time, if you follow the rules. 

Yeah, that much is already clear.

The purpose of my queries, in case it's not obvious, is to seek clarification re: the rules.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.