tahm

Error when scanning my Green Card?

42 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Neither has DVM every time I have used my greencard there.

Some states care about an applicant's immigration status before issuing any state ID/DL.  Seems Pennsylvania (as indicated in OP's VJ profile) is one of those states that require DL applicants to have lawful presence in the US.  They have a note for non-citizen applicants that they will verify immigration documents using USCIS SAVE system -- https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL Publications/pub 195nc.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Does you SSC have a note saying "Valid for Work Only With DHS Authorization"?  If so, it is a restricted SSC, you can get that note removed with a GC.  If the note is not on your SSC, then you are fine.

No it doesn’t have that.

45 minutes ago, tahm said:

No it doesn’t have that.

if your SSN card has no extra word " valid for bla bla bla " that means u have unrestricted SSN card

going to SSA office wont help you. because SSA office wont give you that unrestricted SSN card if ur status is not clear

i will go back to DMV and talk with them. it happened to me to, and the DMV person said it's okay just wait for DHS to approve you, once the save check is clear, u will get ur DL. now my question : did ur DMV person say anything like that?  they cant just said " sorry ur out of luck good bye". if you are green card holder, they will help you. you are allowed to ask " how can you help me so i will get my learner permit?"

put ur A number and see what do they show : https://save.uscis.gov/save/app/client/ui/case-check

Edited by Verrou

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Dashinka said:

My only thought was that CBP is also part of DHS, and when you apply for GE and go to the interview, they scan your GC.  It is just a thought.

The wait for GE application is 6-8 months 

9 hours ago, tahm said:

So recently I’ve been to the DMV to get a learners permit and they said there was an error when they scanned my green card! I had my green card interview back in March and got my green card a few weeks later. They did not tell me much about the error but it was something like USCIS havent updated my status on their system. I believe I’m still a K1 holder on their system when it should be as a permanent resident? I’m so confused. How should I proceed?

Ask what the error is so you know how to proceed.

They can't not help you but you have to be reactive and ask questions.

Timeline

I asked questions. If I hadn’t I wouldn’t have known about the issue. I’m going back there soon and the DMV lady said to look for her so she could help me with that (getting a LP). I guess I just sit and wait till DHS updates it then?

31 minutes ago, tahm said:

I guess I just sit and wait till DHS updates it then?

Do you know for sure somebody at DHS is looking into your issue? Nobody cares at DMV / DHS unless you insist, unfortunately.

My question to others: can DMV only check status using SAVE? Is there no manual override when a valid physical document is presented?

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
11 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Do you know for sure somebody at DHS is looking into your issue? Nobody cares at DMV / DHS unless you insist, unfortunately.

I have absolutely no idea. Can I contact them somehow? I just assumed there’s no way to talk to them. (DHS)

2 minutes ago, tahm said:

I have absolutely no idea. Can I contact them somehow? I just assumed there’s no way to talk to them. (DHS)

Google more. You'll find more topics on VJ and Reddit where people describe the whole process. You're suppose to get some code / case number if DMV really sent a request to DHS.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Google more. You'll find more topics on VJ and Reddit where people describe the whole process. You're suppose to get some code / case number if DMV really sent a request to DHS.

I checked it and there’s a case number from DMV. I just don’t know what to do with it. Or how to get it fixed, that’s why Inmade this topic. 

58 minutes ago, OldUser said:

My question to others: can DMV only check status using SAVE? Is there no manual override when a valid physical document is presented?

From the PennDOT link I posted above -- "[...] there are instances where SAVE is unable to verify an individual’s status and authorized length of stay during the initial verification. In these instances, PennDOT must resubmit the verification through SAVE for additional verification, and occasionally third level verification. Additional and third level verification responses can take 30 or more federal working days to be provided by SAVE."

Thankful for this thread as I am still unclear as to why I have a limited term Texas DL as a LPR. Appears someone has not done something with my status even though my SSN card was updated in April, August I passed road test and issued a limited term DL.

Following…

3 hours ago, OldUser said:

Save check is the ONLY way. There’s no manual override unfortunately. I was in agony for 2 months because of that. I tried congressperson, I tried to contact USCIS, I even tried ombudsman. I tried everything. For once, I can’t win and just have to wait for the save check to be complete. 

now my thought theres probably something else going on here since OP already got unrestricted SS therefore theres no issue with the save check. OP need to be proactive and ask question in this case to DMV

Edited by Verrou

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
10 hours ago, Chancy said:

Some states care about an applicant's immigration status before issuing any state ID/DL.  Seems Pennsylvania (as indicated in OP's VJ profile) is one of those states that require DL applicants to have lawful presence in the US.  They have a note for non-citizen applicants that they will verify immigration documents using USCIS SAVE system -- https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL Publications/pub 195nc.pdf

My state (California) has always cared about my legal status too when I have applied for or renewed my license (my application even ended up at the "presence unit" when I tried to renew without sending a copy of my ROC extension letter). But not once have they scanned it. Nowhere, not at DMV, the doctor or elsewhere where I have used it as a regular ID. Scanning the greencard is something I have never encountered, they have only looked at and used the info on it, just like they have done with my DL and/or state ID. No scanning. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.