visavisavisavisav

having my parents apply for a tourist visa to visit me

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

hi everyone,

ive been wondering this for a while and i could really use your help and advice 

i am a k1 visa beneficiary about to start my life in the USA. i will be having a traditional wedding ceremony when im there and i ofcourse want my family to be there. 

my family has never been to the US. i want them to apply for a tourist visa. 

my questions are as follows:

1) should i have them put my visa details for their DS160 form? or should i leave it blank?

2) on their interview, should i tell my parents to not mention that they will be visiting me? or is it okay to be completely honest about their intentions 

3) is there a chance that they will be deported back when they arrive in the US?

4) has there been cases where parents case for tourist visas been denied because the officers think that they will be living permanently in the US?

appreciate any advice you may have. 

thanks,

m

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, michelle212121 said:

hi everyone,

i am a k1 visa beneficiary about to start my life in the USA. i will be having a traditional wedding ceremony when im there and i ofcourse want my family to be there. 

1) should i have them put my visa details for their DS160 form? or should i leave it blank?

I am not completely familiar with the DS160, but if you are currently in the US when filling these out for your parents, best not to omit information.

2) on their interview, should i tell my parents to not mention that they will be visiting me? or is it okay to be completely honest about their intentions 

Best to answer any questions honestly.  Your parents are not required to offer information, but they should answer any questions truthfully.

3) is there a chance that they will be deported back when they arrive in the US?

Every request to enter the US on a non-immigrant visa is at the discretion of the CBP officer.  It is recommended that anyone attempting to enter on a B2 keep evidence of their ties to their home country.

4) has there been cases where parents case for tourist visas been denied because the officers think that they will be living permanently in the US?

Yes.  consulate officers are required by law to assume anyone applying for a B2 or any other NIV has the desire to stay and adjust status.

thanks,

m

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, michelle212121 said:

hi everyone,

thanks,

m

1.  Tell the truth when answering written or verbal questions from immigration.  Lying can result in very serious consequences.

2.  Every entry into the US is at the sole discretion of CBP.  

Good luck.  I hope they can attend.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Dashinka said:

I am not completely familiar with the DS160, but if you are currently in the US when filling these out for your parents, best not to omit information.

Best to answer any questions honestly.  Your parents are not required to offer information, but they should answer any questions truthfully.

Every request to enter the US on a non-immigrant visa is at the discretion of the CBP officer.  It is recommended that anyone attempting to enter on a B2 keep evidence of their ties to their home country.

Yes.  consulate officers are required by law to assume anyone applying for a B2 or any other NIV has the desire to stay and adjust status.

Good Luck!

thankyou very much! :)

2 hours ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Topic moved to Tourist visa forum as the question is about a tourist visa to the US ~~

That’s the most common reason for denying a visitor visa. Happens very often 

thanks so much :)

Timeline
3 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

1.  Tell the truth when answering written or verbal questions from immigration.  Lying can result in very serious consequences.

2.  Every entry into the US is at the sole discretion of CBP.  

Good luck.  I hope they can attend.

thanks a lot :)

7 hours ago, michelle212121 said:

hi everyone,

thanks,

m

They will be asked who they know in the US, and the purpose of their trip.   Why would you ask them to lie/omit this info?

Timeline
On 7/27/2023 at 1:06 AM, SalishSea said:

They will be asked who they know in the US, and the purpose of their trip.   Why would you ask them to lie/omit this info?

i dont and will not ask them to lie. i am merely asking because i want to know if anyone has concerns or has experienced any/ if there were issues with this. 

they will only be in the US for one week because they have to be back home anyway to take care of their business and our family. we have paperwork and evidence to provide this so i dont know why i was thinking the worst

i was only worried because i had heard about people getting deported.

with the answers given to this post and the advice, it makes total sense to be completely transparent with the intensions and it is to the discretion of the officers whether they choose to let them or not to let them enter. 

thanks again everyone. :)

Timeline

3 hours ago, EmilyW said:

Good luck! I hope you have an amazing wedding.  🙂

thankyou so much 🤍

Edited by visavisavisavisav

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.